This might be common sense, but TAKE MUSIC THEORY if your school provides it. My freshman year I took the regular Music Theory and went on to take AP Music Theory the next year and boy have I learned some useful sh*t. You learn how to harmonize (Not like Iron Maiden, but like how Bach intended) write melodies and such. You train you ears to hear intervals and chords which makes you better at transposing. You also learn to understand chord progressions and why they sound the way they do. Well if you want to make songwriting a whole lot easier take this course.
Last edited by MiKill93 at Aug 12, 2009,
Wish my school had regular music theory, but they only have AP for that I wasn't going to risk failing
I get to start it this year
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
I'm taking it for my final year in high school both Music 11 and Music 12. I can't wait!
Quote by insideac
Dont do drugs, stay in school

Drink your drugs, go to milk, don't do school.

But yeah, music theory is cool
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by insideac
Dont do drugs, stay in school

But drugz r maek g00d muzik!

No, seriously! Wrote this one riff when I was high and it was really, really ****ing cool!
Quote by In The Mist

I'm paying for the

Debtklok [x2]

Ben Bernanke, taller than a tree.
Hilary Clinton, not a bumblebee.
Nancy Pelosi, Pelosi, Pelosi.
Joe Bidan, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)
Barak Obama.

Debtklok [x4]

Quote by Seaneh
No, seriously! Wrote this one riff when I was high and it was really, really ****ing cool!

I've done that too, me and 3 other music majors once got together, got high and then jammed with good results.

On topic, absolutely a good idea to take music in high school. Unfortunately when I was in high school all we had was one music class, and then band. So we never got a course made specifically for theory, only "theory Thursday" in class which most students hated.
Quote by pwrmax
I've done that too, me and 3 other music majors once got together, got high and then jammed with good results.

On topic, absolutely a good idea to take music in high school. Unfortunately when I was in high school all we had was one music class, and then band. So we never got a course made specifically for theory, only "theory Thursday" in class which most students hated.

I hate how bland band teachers make music theory.

All the music theory I learned from band class was about quarter, half etc. notes and how to draw a treble clef.
yeah, my school is a school of about 300 kids, so the only music classes we have are Band, Chorus, and American Pop (a class about popular music in american in the 50s/60s/70s/etc.). So If I had the option to take it, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I don't, so yeah. for those of you who like Music, and have the option....DO IT. Really, you'll benefit from it quite a bit.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I really wish. I'm homeschooled and they don't have it. So I'm just learning on my own (books and ****)
Well, if you play guitar for yourself, don't get to attached to school or show off to fellow classmates. Play what you want but still do some stuff the school gives you. You should enjoy your guitar career more.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Quote by shanethestoner
i agree withever said to get stoned. you get briliantideas at times

Caffeine > any other drug. I agree with your sentiment in general though.
Quote by neo14085
Well, if you play guitar for yourself, don't get to attached to school or show off to fellow classmates. Play what you want but still do some stuff the school gives you. You should enjoy your guitar career more.

I agree with the not showing off at school part. For the ppl that don't play guitar, they don't understand whats good or not so their compliments are empty and if you get caught up in them, you might lose your sense of if you are really good or not. And lastly, it's quite pompous too.
i took grade 9 music and it got me the very basics of theory but i couldnt take it again for schedule reason so im just getting what i can off of other people, i also ask the music teacher stuff i dont get
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by pwrmax

we wrote a really good song like that once - couldn't remember it though
then someone spilt a drink on the phone we were recording it on, so it is now lost forever! it was probably **** and only sounded good cos we had no clue where we were though

Also drink/drugs and live playing = not going well
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Unfortunately, they don't offer it at my school, but you can still take the AP test. That's probably something I plan on doing.
i took a music class in high school, but it was bull****. the teacher taught us how to drum and read rhythms, but on plastic pads -_-. im gonna start college in 2 weeks though so i'll be able to start learning theory =D