Okay, i'm building a ibanez s470DX, but i'm looking in to getting a custom neck.

I'm looking in to buying a custom neck from warmoth, i've e-mailed them about the heels and they told me they wouldn't fit.

But then i looked around, and it seems that many people have sucessfully fit a Warmoth neck on to an ibanez.

As much as i love mixed signals, a definite answer would be key. So anyone who can help me out would be doing me a huge favour.

Thanks
Are you building the body yourself? If so, (assuming it's not already made) You could order the neck and then shape the mortice to fit the tenon.

If you bought/already built the body, then it depends. If the neck tenon is too large you could slim it down maybe and kind of work it down to fit. If it's already too small, then it's on how big the gap is. If it's a small one, you may be able to get away with shims.
Warmoth is saying it wont drop in and if you modify it the warranty is void, just covering their butt. If the pocket is to small thats alot easier to deal with than 1 thats to big. I bought a carvin neck that was supposed to drop in a strat but didnt. It had to sanded down carefully to fit in my strat. Its not hard just something you want to take your time with.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by littlephil
If your S is AANJ, an old square heel RG neck will fit perfectly.

false on many levels. First off AANJ in no way = square heel. in fact, it's the newer more rounded heel. second, an RG neck will not fit an S body because the fretboard on an RG hangs off the neck, while an S neck does not.

I actually called warmoth about this a couple of weeks ago and they said that you can NOT put there necks, without significant modification into an Ibanez.

Ebay is your best bet. last time i checked, there were several S AANJ necks for sale for between 150-250$
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i've got the body lined up to purchase, but the neck is the last step i need to confirm, i like to have a plan

The Body needs a 22 fret AANJ neck.
Like i said, i contacted warmoth about it, but it's not very clear.
Quote by bored_maniac33
false on many levels. First off AANJ in no way = square heel. in fact, it's the newer more rounded heel. second, an RG neck will not fit an S body because the fretboard on an RG hangs off the neck, while an S neck does not.

I actually called warmoth about this a couple of weeks ago and they said that you can NOT put there necks, without significant modification into an Ibanez.

Ebay is your best bet. last time i checked, there were several S AANJ necks for sale for between 150-250$

Have you ever actually compared an AANJ S neck to a square heel RG neck? The end of the heel is in almost exactly the same position. The end of the fretboard overhangs because its 24 frets, S necks are 22. Square heel RG necks do fit into AANJ S neck pockets, but unless you remove the last 2 frets you cant have a full humbucker in the neck. You also need to re-drill the neck screw holes.
If you dont know something for sure, dont say its false. I own an S540 with an RG550 neck on it. It works fine.
EDIT:
Heres proof:
Square heel RG neck, look where the heel is- right under the 22nd fret

AANJ S neck- heel is right under the 22nd fret
Last edited by littlephil at Aug 14, 2009,
^what gutiar is that, second pic?

I honestly don't think it would work for you, Your best bet really is ebay.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
^well, i said false assuming that one would not be hacking off the last two frets, but i guess that works then my bad lol
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by metalwarrior40
^what gutiar is that, second pic?

S670PBNTF. Straight from the Ibanez site, it was the best pic I could find.
Quote by POWERMETAL!
i'm gonna go with the ebay vote on this..

Probably the best option, but S necks are pretty uncommon. There is actually a few on there now, I havent seen any for a while.