Hey all, I am learning the song technical difficulties by Paul Gilbert and I was wondering if you could offer any practice advice that could help nailing these crazy fast alternate picking runs. Thanks in advance!
Slow it down and practice with a metronome, increase the speed of the runs when you are comfortable with it. Make sure you pay attention to the motion of both your left and right hand to ensure that you're picking accurately and are relaxed.
Yeah I can definitely tell my right hand has been neglected for a while, I practice a lot of Paul's 3 note per string patterns and I guess after awhile of practicing them a lot I start to build my speed up and the right hand just comes natural and I forget it. But this song is the hardest thing I've attempted to learn on guitar, with the longest runs as well.

I really want to play this song at my university's talent show this year. I am trying to make a realistic practice schedule so I can have this song down note for note by the end of the semester.
Well... you could try asking this in Guitar Techniques xD

Try to do the 21 day challenge with this song and see what happens.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Quote by AdamDK
Slow it down and practice with a metronome, increase the speed of the runs when you are comfortable with it. Make sure you pay attention to the motion of both your left and right hand to ensure that you're picking accurately and are relaxed.

Use a metronome for sure. Play slowly and make sure that the notes are clear. Then gradually speed it up.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by razorback84
Hey all, I am learning the song technical difficulties by Paul Gilbert and I was wondering if you could offer any practice advice that could help nailing these crazy fast alternate picking runs. Thanks in advance!

work on it slowly and accurately.

be patient

enjoy the process...

if that doesn't help, simply pick a song that is more realistic for your skill level, and come back to this one when you're ready.
shred is gaudy music
slowing the song down and then speeding it up gradually is and propably always will be the answer.

and for that sextuplet run over 6 strings, make sure every movement of the fretting hand is as small as possible. learn it at a speed that will let you analyse exactly what your hands are doing and correct any flailing finger movements, then speed it up.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
slowing the song down and then speeding it up gradually is and propably always will be the answer.

and for that sextuplet run over 6 strings, make sure every movement of the fretting hand is as small as possible. learn it at a speed that will let you analyse exactly what your hands are doing and correct any flailing finger movements, then speed it up.

Yea, thats the run I have been doing over, and over, and over. I actually am gaining some speed on it.... it's not Gilbert speed yet but it's gaining hehe