What are some good amps that'll give me that crunch in my metal. Right now I'm liking the some Engl models, but I want some opinions to guide on my quest on heavenly tone.
I play mostly Melodeath metal. I want to get tones from stuff like Threat Signal, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Devildriver. I'm not setting a budget limit. I want the best of the best.
Last edited by MiKill93 at Aug 12, 2009,
Hmm... those bands have pretty American tones... Give us a ROUGH limit because we could throw a painfully expensive boutique thing out there which you're just not going to buy.
1-2k?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I've tried the Engl Powerball and that just blew my mind. I've really wanted to try the Savage, but I can't find a place that has em.
I've owned and tried plenty of high gain heads, right now I own a Framus Cobra and an ENGL invader, I've tried Bogners, VHT's, 5150's, 6505's, Peavey JSX, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Orange Rockoverb, Genz benz el diablo and a few more that dont come to mind right now.
Either way, the Invader is the best of any amp I've ran into, with a Bogner Exctasy in close 2nd and the cobra in not to distant 3rd,
You want something tight low end for some death metal riffs which the ENGL's are known for, you'll also want ripping mids for your lead tone which the cobra, and invader do amazingly, it all comes down to how versitile you want your amp to be, want a shimmering clean channel? Good pushed crunch sound too? Need a chunky rhythm tone? Or tigher mid heavy lead channel?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
i say look for used ENGL's and i guess 6505/5150's if you dont want to spend as much. there are tons of choices at this price level though, the JSX, rectifers and mark series, orange, bogners, so it all comes down to what you can get your hands on and play and love the tone.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Tensorspencer
I've owned and tried plenty of high gain heads, right now I own a Framus Cobra and an ENGL invader, I've tried Bogners, VHT's, 5150's, 6505's, Peavey JSX, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Orange Rockoverb, Genz benz el diablo and a few more that dont come to mind right now.
Either way, the Invader is the best of any amp I've ran into, with a Bogner Exctasy in close 2nd and the cobra in not to distant 3rd,
You want something tight low end for some death metal riffs which the ENGL's are known for, you'll also want ripping mids for your lead tone which the cobra, and invader do amazingly, it all comes down to how versitile you want your amp to be, want a shimmering clean channel? Good pushed crunch sound too? Need a chunky rhythm tone? Or tigher mid heavy lead channel?

Do you have any sound samples of the Engl Invader? I really wanna see how it sounds.
I was kinda deciding between the Powerball, Savage and Invader to see which one I liked best.
Quote by MiKill93
I play mostly Melodeath metal. I want to get tones from stuff like Threat Signal, Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, Devildriver. I'm not setting a budget limit. I want the best of the best.

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!

THIS IS WHAT THE F*** I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!

Get it through your heads UG, you can sound good for cheap, but if you want to sound GREAT you gotta pay for it.

93: as for Diezels, the Herbert is way more forgiving, whereas the VH4 is very tight and defined. If you're into lots of syncopated stacatto riffs, the VH4 is what you're looking for if you can handle it, and I wouldn't trade its lead channel for anything! The Herbert is a bit cheaper, but still amazing... more of a "hard rock" amp in the sense that it's incredibly harmonically rich. that one reminds me of a squishier triple rec with a fuller frequency band.

I had Trace Davis mod my dual rec, and I got nuthin but great things to say about the guy's work! really turned it into a completely different amp! lush harmonics, better control, there's really nothing that I can think of that's not better about playing that amp since it's been modded. http://www.voodooamps.com

he offers many mods for many many many amps. for what you want, I'd say look into his Mesa recto or peavey 6505+/5150II mods.

...and Threat Signal is the S***!!!
@MiKill93
I just got the Invader so I don't have any clips yet, but the entire new EP I'm recording with my band is going to be all Invader / Extasy, I'm not sure when it'll be done though, sorry! I'll try to make a video or atleast cue up some soundclips in the meantime. ENGL's > Jesus. hahahah
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
@MiKill93
I just got the Invader so I don't have any clips yet, but the entire new EP I'm recording with my band is going to be all Invader / Extasy, I'm not sure when it'll be done though, sorry! I'll try to make a video or atleast cue up some soundclips in the meantime. ENGL's > Jesus. hahahah

Alright, cool man. Thanks for the info tho.
Quote by GrisKy
THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!

THIS IS WHAT THE F*** I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!

Get it through your heads UG, you can sound good for cheap, but if you want to sound GREAT you gotta pay for it.

93: as for Diezels, the Herbert is way more forgiving, whereas the VH4 is very tight and defined. If you're into lots of syncopated stacatto riffs, the VH4 is what you're looking for if you can handle it, and I wouldn't trade its lead channel for anything! The Herbert is a bit cheaper, but still amazing... more of a "hard rock" amp in the sense that it's incredibly harmonically rich. that one reminds me of a squishier triple rec with a fuller frequency band.

I had Trace Davis mod my dual rec, and I got nuthin but great things to say about the guy's work! really turned it into a completely different amp! lush harmonics, better control, there's really nothing that I can think of that's not better about playing that amp since it's been modded. http://www.voodooamps.com

he offers many mods for many many many amps. for what you want, I'd say look into his Mesa recto or peavey 6505+/5150II mods.

...and Threat Signal is the S***!!!

I know Threat Signal recorded with some Diezel amps on Under Reprisal, but I haven't seen anyone where I live that sells or owns those. Usually recording studios will sell the good stuff. One near me has the best of the Randall tube series.
I had to order mine... and it took almost 10 months to get it, so act fast if it's something you're interrested in. They have exactly ONE US distributor, Salwanger or some **** like that, and sometimes they don't play nice.
Quote by GrisKy
I had to order mine... and it took almost 10 months to get it, so act fast if it's something you're interrested in. They have exactly ONE US distributor, Salwanger or some **** like that, and sometimes they don't play nice.

Geez, that's like ordering a Carvin. My friend ordered one and it also took them 10 months to get it to him.
I own an Engl Thunder, their most basic model and it blows my mind... just imagine what the Invader sounds like...
Deffinetly Peavey 6505 or ENGL Fireball for some mean metal tones
Peavey 6505+ Head
Mesa/Boogie Oversized Rectifier 4x12 Cab
Schecter Diamond Series 006
Ibanez SZR720 TGB
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Roland Micro Cube 10watt
Quote by Business
I own an Engl Thunder, their most basic model and it blows my mind... just imagine what the Invader sounds like...

Yeah, I've tried the Thunder and it's awesome even for being a budget model. Btw your username is awesome.
LoL thanks I guess both the Thunder and my username are simple yet effective
I've heard great things about the Invader and Herbert and also the Hughes and Kettner Triamp. I wouldn't know too much about metal amps though. Try and locate a dealer for both and have them order the amps in so you can try them out. Also try your local craigslist for the amps that way you can try them out, there are like 3 Diezels going on my craigslist.

I guess basic brands to look at:
Framus
Hughes and Kettner
Mesa
Diezel
Granger
ENGL
etc.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by GrisKy

Salwender no longer distributes the Diezel amps, USA operations all go through DiezelUSA at this point. I guess they had a lot of problems and complaints with them as a distributor.

http://www.diezelusa.com/
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
This one's weighing in on the lower half of your budget, but no one has mentioned it yet and it's right in your title...I enjoy the Randall MTS stuff. Might check out the RM50 or RM100.
Quote by Gibshall
there are like 3 Diezels going on my craigslist.

are you serious!!! what models and what are they asking?

EDIT: also nice to see Sal's outa' the picture. Nuthin' but trouble from them.
Last edited by GrisKy at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
are you serious!!! what models and what are they asking?

EDIT: also nice to see Sal's outa' the picture. Nuthin' but trouble from them.

yeah, they were kind of shady. Terry at DiezelUSA is a pretty good guy to deal with, so it's win win.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids