Ok, right now i'm at a dilemma. I'm not sure whether it's worth buying a whole new guitar when i know that with a little modding my current guitar has potential to be really nice. Right now i own a Vintage VS6 which is a SG copy. It has a Mahogany Body and neck (same wood as some RG's and so on which are 3x the price i paid for this), Rosewood fretboard, Tune-O-Matic bridge, some ok stock tuners and a bone Nut which i'll replace. The stock Humbuckers aren't bad but if i'm gonna mod it then they will be repalced, probably with some passive Duncans. I don't know the first thing about modding so the more technical stuff will be done by a Pro (like the Pup swap) but i figure i'd be able to change the Tuners and i guess the Nut as well. Anyway, do you think that with some nice mods and a great set-up it would out perform guitars worth about £400. Also, are there any mods with like wiring and stuff i should get done to improve the electronics?
definitely mod it yourself. and pup swaps aren't hard at all. I did my first one without having dealt with wiring ever before. Get yourself a diagram and a soldering iron and you will be FINE.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
If it is comfortable to play and you enjoy it, do some mods. Much more satisfaction later knowing you made it yours.
Wow, third of fourth VS6 thread i've seen this week.

You may "not" want it to player like a £400+ guitar:
Many people with VS6's claim they play much better than Epiphones, some personally prefer them over Gibsons.

My VS6, I have done nothing to it... If I ever get a bit of spare cash, there's only 2 things I'd do to it: Pup swap (SH-14 Custom 5, SH-2N Jazz Model), Pup ring swap.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Hello Will,
I'd definitely choose to mod a guitar as opposed to buying a new one. And to show I practice what I preach, here are some mods I've done on guitars:
http://www.1728.com/super7.htm

For one thing, if those Vintage V6 humbuckers are accessible to modding (not sealed for eternity in Epoxy like my Gibson SG's were), you can bring out 4 wires and that will give you many more tone choices. If you still feel those pickups are too weak, then buy new ones. Yes, that can be expensive but sometimes you can find good deals. At this website http://store.guitarfetish.com/clse.html they have a clearance section that has two humbuckers selling for between 30 and 40 dollars. (I don't know what that converts to in British pounds but it's a good deal.) Heck, you might have some shops on your side of the pond where you can find good deals too.
Quote by RJackson
Wow, third of fourth VS6 thread i've seen this week.

You may "not" want it to player like a £400+ guitar:
Many people with VS6's claim they play much better than Epiphones, some personally prefer them over Gibsons.

My VS6, I have done nothing to it... If I ever get a bit of spare cash, there's only 2 things I'd do to it: Pup swap (SH-14 Custom 5, SH-2N Jazz Model), Pup ring swap.

It does pretty amazingly, it won't be anything major, just like the stuff you said plus Tuners, Nut and maybe a bit of electrical work.
Tuners, nut, and pickup swaps are all easy to do. If you are happy with the feel of the neck and the way the guitar looks, mod it!
(Also, please don't bump less than an hour after your first post. Give people some time to reply please. )
^Getting the new nut right is harder than changing pickups. Filing/cutting the slots is harder than changing p'ups. But it is still easily doable if you read up on it first.

And those guitar fetish pickups someone posted will not be an upgrade! They're probably worse even.
I plan on probably getting some Duncan's, not sure what but i want passives so that i'll still have some tonal options. I'd like some that look like EMG's though (Like a a plain black box shape) but that's just a side-note. Obviously tone is more important
Quote by willT08
I plan on probably getting some Duncan's, not sure what but i want passives so that i'll still have some tonal options. I'd like some that look like EMG's though (Like a a plain black box shape) but that's just a side-note. Obviously tone is more important

If tone is more important, why limit your self to seymour duncans? Take a look at all the brands available. And the people who say " I use these p'ups so they must be the best" are the ones you should ignore. They may play totally different music to you. What styles do you play and what amp do you have?
I play all kinds of Rock from Led Zeppelin to Lamb Of God and everything inbetween. I didn't choose them randomly, they just seem to play pretty well in similar guitars like that Jackson Explorer copy, both have a mahogany body and they sound great. Actives seem like a bit much hassle for a small return.
supergerbil
Any reason you think those GuitarFetish pickups are lousy? (I'm not trying to give that company a free ad.) I have only ordered once from them. They have inexpensive pickups that seem to be pretty good, in my humble opinion.
Well, at the moment it's got 2 Wilkinson humbuckers in it. I've never heard of any of the brands there so i don't know how they'd compare. Any ideas for a great pair for some kickass rock and metal tones, preferably passives.
Quote by wolf1728
supergerbil
Any reason you think those GuitarFetish pickups are lousy? (I'm not trying to give that company a free ad.) I have only ordered once from them. They have inexpensive pickups that seem to be pretty good, in my humble opinion.

I must admit, I myself have never tried those pickups, but I've read many reviews of GFS and have experience with cheap p'ups pretending to be boutique quality. The guys oversell them so much. You read it and the guy makes them out to be the best thing ever. I was just warning TS that he shouldn't get suckered in by that sales crap.

Lastly, Wilkinson pickups are pretty decent. All the stocks I've played have sounded good. And if GFS were of comparable quality to other big names like SD, dimarzio, but at their current prices then they would be in every guitar out there and dominate the market. But since they're not, I doubt the similarities. What I was saying was. not that they are bad, but the quality will be similar, and so the money spent would get him a tonal upgrade. Now, if he wants a different sound then GFS will do this (like more output) but the quality will not be an upgrade.
I have not used any pickups from Guitar Fetish, but it is worth noting that their self-branded pickups are probably different than the "blowout" pickups.
Okay, sorry for the GFS link. (I do like to find bargains though).

Anyway, if you want to keep the Wilkinosn pickups that's okay. Only thing you might want to do is rewire those with 4 wires. (I'm guessing they only have 2 wires. Just about any guitar from a factory never has 4 wire humbuckers.)

And how do you rewire a humbucker for 4 wires? Go here:
www.1728.com/guitar1a.htm

Yes, that it a page from my website but I'm not selling anything and you might find some useful information.