Alright, so my new guitar came with pretty low action set up, but there was fret buzz everywhere, and some of the higher strings felt plucky.

I tried raising the action a lot to counter this. Before, the baseplate of the Floyd was sunken into the body of the guitar, so about 1/4th to 1/2 of it was sticking out past the body contour. Now I've raised it to the point where the whole baseplate is visible above the body. The action feels obnoxiously high when I play, and there is still a little bit of fret buzz between about the 5th to 10th frets, that area.

I also read I need to adjust the truss rod so that the center of the neck curves up more, so I started doing that.

I want to be able to adjust my guitar just right to minimize fret buzz but keep the action low. How can I ensure I get the right balance of truss rod and bridge height? I don't want to pay for a professional setup, and if I can learn how to do it right now, I'll hopefully be able to do it right in the future too.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
check out the floyd thread at the top of the page.

you can level the bridge, raise the bridge posts if needed, then measure for neck relief.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Right, the truss rod isn't something you adjust just to set action. You should only ever be adjusting the truss rod so that it's tension matches the tension of your strings, although on some guitars (depending on the wood the neck is made from) the truss rod's pressure should be a little less than the tension of the strings.

As far as action and fret buzz goes, it's not just a question of curving the neck more/raising the bridge up. How high is your guitar's nut? It could be you need to raise the nut a little so the strings are higher off the board at the lower frets but can still be at your preferred height at the higher frets. Have you ever taken the guitar for a fret dressing (the fret wire is filed down to be even, eliminating most fret buzz - this really is not something you can do yourself as you need to be accurate to within thousandths of an inch)?
And for reference, it's normal (in fact recommended) that a Floyd's base plate is entirely above the body, so the bottom edge of the baseplate is exactly in line with or sitting directly on top of the body's top.

Also of course you could simply be trying to achieve a much lower action than is nromal and perhaps your perception of what is 'high' action is off. It would help to know more details about your guitar, such as how high the strings are from the top of the fretwire at the 12th fret.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
That's a hard one…for me…but, are you sure the buzzing comes from the fret you're pressing? I don't know, maybe it's not the actual fret…
I'm much of an idiot so don't take that ^ seriously.
JJ's post should work...

If you just cant get it to work I would recommend getting your frets scalloped...

It is a little pricy but will fix your problem

thats all I can give you

Logic
Is there a way to measure if I need to raise the nut? The strings are definitely a lot lower toward the nut than toward the bridge. When I raised the bridge, the strings are on a downward slope.

I'm pretty sure the buzz is from the strings rubbing against the frets. I can feel some vibration from it and everything.

I can't measure the height right now, being away from home. Do I measure without fretting anything? A lot of guides I looked at say to fret the first fret and another, higher fret, to measure action.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Quote by The Red Comet
Is there a way to measure if I need to raise the nut? The strings are definitely a lot lower toward the nut than toward the bridge. When I raised the bridge, the strings are on a downward slope.

I'm pretty sure the buzz is from the strings rubbing against the frets. I can feel some vibration from it and everything.

I can't measure the height right now, being away from home. Do I measure without fretting anything? A lot of guides I looked at say to fret the first fret and another, higher fret, to measure action.

so when you have the guitar, measure the relief.
level the bridge and if needed adjust action at the posts.

anything else is a waste of time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
anything else is a waste of time.
Not true. Uneven frets and nut height problems are common on many guitars, even high-end models.

Certainly, looking at neck relief and measuring and making sure everything's even is the first port of call, but having someone perform a proper fret dressing is always a good idea on all guitars for maximum playability and there is more to string height and fret buzz than just how high the bridge is and how curved the neck is.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Not true. Uneven frets and nut height problems are common on many guitars, even high-end models.

Certainly, looking at neck relief and measuring and making sure everything's even is the first port of call, but having someone perform a proper fret dressing is always a good idea on all guitars for maximum playability and there is more to string height and fret buzz than just how high the bridge is and how curved the neck is.

i wasnt talking about your post.

i meant it's a waste of time asking what to do about the guitar, getting answers then looking for additional answer, when you cant even check the basics because the guitar isnt in front of you.

it's a waste of everyone's time.

you're going to get into fret leveling with a guy who might not even have a level bridge.

edit: and one who refuses to post in the thread dedicated to these types of specific problems.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
i wasnt talking about your post.

i meant it's a waste of time asking what to do about the guitar, getting answers then looking for additional answer, when you cant even check the basics because the guitar isnt in front of you.

it's a waste of everyone's time.

you're going to get into fret leveling with a guy who might not even have a level bridge.

edit: and one who refuses to post in the thread dedicated to these types of specific problems.

+1

Thread closed
I wouldn't say it's a total waste of time. I was just hoping to get some information so that when I got home I could get to work immediately.

If by level bridge you mean that the Floyd is parallel to the body of the guitar, then yes I've made sure it is level.

As for refusing to post in the dedicated thread, I wouldn't say I'm refusing to, I've just mistakenly created a thread outside it when I was supposed to post in the dedicated thread. Sorry about that, I will direct further questions to that thread.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Quote by The Red Comet
I wouldn't say it's a total waste of time. I was just hoping to get some information so that when I got home I could get to work immediately.

If by level bridge you mean that the Floyd is parallel to the body of the guitar, then yes I've made sure it is level.

As for refusing to post in the dedicated thread, I wouldn't say I'm refusing to, I've just mistakenly created a thread outside it when I was supposed to post in the dedicated thread. Sorry about that, I will direct further questions to that thread.

Well maybe not a waste of your time anyway....

It's just that most threads like this could probably be answered with a simple search.
Quote by The Red Comet

i wasnt trying to be mean about it.

i was willing to help last night until i realized you didnt have the guitar to check anything but were still looking for answers.

i mean, to be honest, i'd rather not stickie a thread where there's no chance in any progress.

anyway, if you have the guitar in front of you, and you've looked it over and have a better idea of what's wrong, i'm sure we can figure out why it's buzzing.

just make sure you look over the floyd thread, so you know how to adjust the bridge and measure relief too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62