There are probably dozens of threads on this but i have some specific questions.

First off here's the back story. I recently purchased an Ibanez Xiphos with a Tremol-No installed in it but it doesn't work quite as well as i hoped it would and i just want to get rid of the edge III completely, fill the cavity, and install an FT6 Bridge.

I would really appreciate a link to a detailed guide/instructions to go about this process.

Here are some QUESTIONS

1.) I wanted to buy a carvin FT6 bridge. Here's a link... http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=FT6C
Is there something of better quality or value?

2.) Is it as easy as just cutting a piece of wood down to size and gluing it in there?

3.) How do i find the proper position for the bridge? and once i find it do i just leave markings where the string wholes are and just drill through the body to make it string through body?

4.) Are there F spaced standard bridges? (I'm used to F spacing and it would be really strange utilizing less of my fretboard) ... Or would i not even notice the difference?

5.) I was thinking of using alder for the brightness. But would that screw the tone since the xiphos is already:
-mahogany body
-5 piece maple/walnut neck
-mahogany fretboard
If so, what would would be best?

6.)*****I didn't want it to look like a bare uncolored piece of wood just sticking out of my guitar so i was thinking about cutting the wood for the top cavity a little lower so it's not level with the body and cutting out a piece of plexiglass to fit around the bridge and maybe put some vinyls on it. Would this ruin my tone or anything?

Here's an example of what i mean.

7.) Are there any galleries of people who have converted their floating bridge guitars to hard rails? I'd like to get some ideas from that.

8.) Approximately how much would it cost to get a luthier to do this for me?

And feel free to include anything you feel is important.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by xMetalCoreKingx at Aug 12, 2009,
I am just now finishing a trem to hard tail conversion. Frankly its a pain in the butt. You have to route the cavities square than fit pieces of wood, glue them in then paint the whole thing. And its never really works as good as a nice solid body built for hardtail. Way better off blocking the trem or selling it to get a hardtail.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
There are probably dozens of threads on this

then perhaps you should use the searchbar and see if any of your "specific" questions has been asked & answered first.
Quote by Tackleberry
I am just now finishing a trem to hard tail conversion. Frankly its a pain in the butt. You have to route the cavities square than fit pieces of wood, glue them in then paint the whole thing. And its never really works as good as a nice solid body built for hardtail. Way better off blocking the trem or selling it to get a hardtail.

Do you think it would be a tough job for a professional luthier?
How much do you think one would charge for that?
What Tackleberry said. Royal pain in the butt. A luthier will probably charge at least $250 US.
But why ask here? Get on the phone and call some luthiers!