Progressive metal. Very abstract, erratic, jazzy, atonal.

Listen to this if you want technical music that is also catchy, unlike the monotone songs of bands like Necrophagist (not that they're bad, Im not trying to dis them)

best album is Control and Resistance, but the other one is cool too.

WT is probably the ONLY Libertarian voice in metal! woo!

couldn't believe there wasn't a thread... Tower fans speak up!
Energetic Disassembly is probably the stronger of the two albums in terms of coherence. The attempt to streamline things into the heavy metal box hurts Control and Resistance somewhat. Both are still well above the norm for the period.
Energetic Disassembly is probably my favorite progressive metal album. Despite the technicality, the music is as ballsy as Sirens-era Savatage and thrashy as anything from the Bay Area, and it was written in 1984. Way ahead of any other progressive metal band for future years, and Control & Resistance again shadowed what Dream Theater and Fates Warning were doing at the time. Excellent band; I hope something new comes out, even if it is almost-Watchtower like Ink Compatible.
Last edited by HamburgerBoy at Aug 12, 2009,
they are going to finally finish "Mathematics". no bull**** this time.

Let's just hope their tours aren't like last time: 2 shows in Europe, 2 shows in Texas, 2 shows in NY... **** that, come to my goddamn town!

Rick Colaluca is definately the best drummer ever (proves that blast beats to not amount to talent), and Doug Keyser is the best bassist ever.

looking forward to Jason McMaster singing over Ron's WT riffs... he sounds like a more aggressive Geddy Lee.

If only the guitars were louded on BOTH albums...
I wish I were a little kid.... so I could hire Ron Jarzombek for one of those mad scientist birthday parties (if anyone remembers those lol), and he wears that lab coat like in those promo pics. He would be the coolest mad scientist... lol
Quote by ThinkThis
they are going to finally finish "Mathematics". no bull**** this time.

Let's just hope their tours aren't like last time: 2 shows in Europe, 2 shows in Texas, 2 shows in NY... **** that, come to my goddamn town!

Rick Colaluca is definately the best drummer ever (proves that blast beats to not amount to talent), and Doug Keyser is the best bassist ever.

looking forward to Jason McMaster singing over Ron's WT riffs... he sounds like a more aggressive Geddy Lee.

If only the guitars were louded on BOTH albums...

They've been saying this for years. I'll only beleive it when I see it in my hands
"God damn you Walter! You fuckin' asshole! Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FUCK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuck are you talking about?"-The Dude
I'm going to stay optimistic on this one... it seems that there's a trend of amazing new releases that are being put in the works, like the new Toxik, and new Control Denied... hopefully this streak continues
Quote by ThinkThis
I wish I were a little kid.... so I could hire Ron Jarzombek for one of those mad scientist birthday parties (if anyone remembers those lol), and he wears that lab coat like in those promo pics. He would be the coolest mad scientist... lol

Like on the cover of Solitarily Speaking of Theoretical Confinement.
Listening to "Control and Resistance" right now. Great stuff, I must admit. I'm not too much of a thrash fan, per se, but this is working for me.
Philosophy > Life
Guess who has a new album out eh?

Starts with a R....

EDIT: Well technically it's not really new, but still.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Do tell.

WEBBDIT: Oooh, they're back together! Mathematics still ain't happening, blatantly.
Last edited by webbtje at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
Do tell.

WEBBDIT: Oooh, they're back together! Mathematics still ain't happening, blatantly.

It'll happen the day that the original Guns n Roses line-up gets back together for recording

The video he put on his youtube channel for his new instructional DVD is very interesting as well.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Oct 8, 2009,
I read somewhere on t3h interwebz that Ron said that the future for Watchtower was pretty bleak. A ha, here it is.
From Ron's FAQ on his website:

"I honestly don’t think ‘Mathematics’ will happen at this point even though we have enough music for an album. I was really pushing for it to get done for a long time, especially after we got back together for a few shows in 2004. I did all I could but I’m a quarter of the band and I can’t pull all the strings. Some people involved just have different priorities in life with jobs and families and are not motivated to get things done. And to tell you the truth, much of the material we have for ‘Mathematics’ has lost its luster for me. Some of that stuff goes back to 1990 and it’s so old now that it’s kind of pointless to release it. It’s really not where I’m at musically anymore - it’s almost like someone else wrote those songs. As for playing live - we keep getting asked to do shows and festivals but I told the guys back in ’04 that I wasn’t interested in playing live anymore unless we finished the new album. I was hoping it would give them an incentive to want to finish up ‘Mathematics’ but it didn’t happen. I’m not saying WatchTower will never ever gig again but I don’t see any shows happening in the foreseeable future."

Really is a shame.
Quote by The Kreator
Ron Jarzombek is inhuman.

That is a fact.

fuckin a
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Oct 8, 2009,
this band is simply incredible.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
http://www.myspace.com/officialwatchtower

New song up now. Not half bad...
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Yeah, pretty good considering how long it's been since their last stuff.

The solos are damn good on that one.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Ya know, for some reason I could never get into their first album. Gonna have to give it another go here sometime.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Wai- new song?

*creams self*
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Rick Colaluca is fucking amazing.

And Jarzombek. Actually, pretty much everybody involved in Watchtower. Except the singer(s), cause they aren't really to my taste much, but yeah. Rick is superb, and very, very underrated.
You know, I clicked on their page thinking, "I hope these guys aren't Jehovah's Witnesses", to my surprise, it was clearly stated that they weren't.