I have a Spider III. I hate is very much. However, I few friends of mine have played a Spider Valve and many people on the internet have said it and the Flextone III are much better than the Spider III series. Now I have enough money to buy a Spider Valve 212 or a Flextone III.

1. Are both of these amps very good?

2. Which one should I buy? From what I heard, I'm leaning towards the Valve.
You're upgrading from **** to diarrhea. I'd go with a different brand to be honest.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
The Flextone can be good, but the Spider Valve isn't. All it is is a little tube sag with the Spider III sound. I hear really good things about Flextones all the time, tho.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Zero_Mike
You're upgrading from **** to diarrhea. I'd go with a different brand to be honest.

Line 6 Bashing is completely Biased.
The Flextone III is not at all an amplifier charistorized by the textures of liquidised fecal matter, it is actually rather nice for the price, they sell for great prices used.
I'm not a fan of the Spider Valve myself.

Between the two I say Flextone.
I plan on getting a Vetta in the near future myself.
I can never get a straight answer here, someone always says it sucks and other people usually say it's great. I'm going to play the amp tomorrow and decide for myself. I thank those who did not just hate because it's "cool".
Quote by CobainBohnam
I can never get a straight answer here, someone always says it sucks and other people usually say it's great. I'm going to play the amp tomorrow and decide for myself. I thank those who did not just hate because it's "cool".

I agree this is the best decision. But please, try more amps in this price range and decide for yourself.

I see a lot of people try out an amp, and it sounds dandy to them.
But that's not a good basis to buy until you compare within the price point.
Personally, for the price of a Flextone, I'd get a used tube amp, and be much happier. But that's my personal taste, because I find modeling to never live up to the real thing.

Make sure you get the best sound in your budget, rather than narrow yourself down to two amps that may sound good, but not as good as the similar priced amp you walked past and never tried.
Meh, I didn't love the Spider Valve. I wasn't tooo crazy about the Flextone but it's definetly a great amp. Go for that
Spider valve was ok. it just has a little tube in there. not worth it. idk about flextone.
Quote by Zero_Mike
What the hell are you talking about? The Flextone is great, and the Vetta is incredible.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Zero_Mike

We just had this discussion in a completely different thread. The Spider Valve isn't even horrible. In fact, I'd say it's a solid, if unspectacular, modeler once you EQ properly and figure out which models are worth it. But I would agree that the Flextone is better in this comparison.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Thats because its all opinion based. There's too much damn hate on thi site when it comes to Line 6 and Marshall, (Not just the MG's, the JCM's get slammed at times too)

I drive a Wrangler, and swear that its the best 4X4 vehicle on the planet. But if you want to buy a Hummer or an FJ, be my guest. Different strokes for different folks. I sure as hell wont flame on and say s*** like "NOOOOOOO" or "Dont do it"

Opinions are fine, but everyone has one, and god knows that evryone cant be honest, educated, or unbaised even half the time.

The SV F***ing rocks!
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Thats because its all opinion based. There's too much damn hate on thi site when it comes to Line 6 and Marshall, (Not just the MG's, the JCM's get slammed at times too)

I drive a Wrangler, and swear that its the best 4X4 vehicle on the planet. But if you want to buy a Hummer or an FJ, be my guest. Different strokes for different folks. I sure as hell wont flame on and say s*** like "NOOOOOOO" or "Dont do it"

Opinions are fine, but everyone has one, and god knows that evryone cant be honest, educated, or unbaised even half the time.

The SV F***ing rocks!

Pointless rant is pointless.

Not once did I say it was a bad amp, I just think you're a moron if you don't try everything in your price range.
Vetta>Flextone

Flextone>Spider Valve

Spider Valve>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spider III

/thread IMO
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
Quote by JonoElMuffinMan
This is the worst place to ask about anything Line 6 Spider SS series.
Related to the topic: Flextone III.

fixed.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Zero_Mike

Stop talking please.

IMO, the Spider Valve is better, but others will disagree. You can buy the 1x12 version of it on Sam Ash's website right now for $400, or the head for $450 at Zzounds. For that price, you won't find anything better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 7stringusr
Spider valve was ok. it just has a little tube in there. not worth it. idk about flextone.

"a little tube in there"? Really? It has 3 12ax7s and 2 6v6 (I think). It's a full tube amp, and it sounds pretty darn good. As I posted in the other thread, the lead guitarist here is using a Spider Valve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCj1k3paCRI

Make sure when you try it in the store to spend a LOT of time tweaking it. It's an amp you have to tweak. Actually, I think both of them are. Regardless, spend some time with other amps in the price range just in case. I'd take a Fender HRD or Vox AC50 over this any day of the week, but that doesn't mean it's a bad amp.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by -Collapse-
Pointless rant is pointless.

Not once did I say it was a bad amp, I just think you're a moron if you don't try everything in your price range.

I agree, one could easily be a moron indeed. I see your point, and sometimes my posts get misunderstood. I do believe that the SV series is great. Thats my take on it.

Sorry to make it seem like I was bashing you. I'll refrian from my rants as best as I can. God knows I need a new amp anyway. Money's tight, you all know that. To be honest, I didnt really need to quote you anyway.

No hard feelings, I'll edit.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Sid McCall
"a little tube in there"? Really? It has 3 12ax7s and 2 6v6 (I think). It's a full tube amp, and it sounds pretty darn good. As I posted in the other thread, the lead guitarist here is using a Spider Valve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCj1k3paCRI

Make sure when you try it in the store to spend a LOT of time tweaking it. It's an amp you have to tweak. Actually, I think both of them are. Regardless, spend some time with other amps in the price range just in case. I'd take a Fender HRD or Vox AC50 over this any day of the week, but that doesn't mean it's a bad amp.

that sounded really good
Quote by Sid McCall

It has 2 12AX7.

Which means that you actually only have 1 preamp tube, since the other 12AX7 has to be the phase inverter.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Zero_Mike

This guy .... wow
Quote by ragingkitty
It has 2 12AX7.

Which means that you actually only have 1 preamp tube, since the other 12AX7 has to be the phase inverter.

no it has 2 12AX7s in the pre and 2 sovtect 5881s in the power amp
Quote by mechanix901
no it has 2 12AX7s in the pre and 2 sovtect 5881s in the power amp

PHAIL!

The Spider Valve is a Class AB amp. It needs a phase inverter to send the positive section of the sine curve signal to 1 tube power tube, and the negative section of the sine curve signal to the other power tube.

Hence, 1 12AX7 is a phase inverter while the other is a preamp tube.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Zero_Mike

Not all Line 6s suck. As for me I can't think of anything at the moment besides the typical Vox VT15 or VT30, the Peavy Vypr, or the Roland Cube sorry man. Check out Musicians friend and check out some of the best selling amps in your price range. Oh and what happened to the smilie where he was wagging his finger. I couldn't find it that's why he used
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
PHAIL!

The Spider Valve is a Class AB amp. It needs a phase inverter to send the positive section of the sine curve signal to 1 tube power tube, and the negative section of the sine curve signal to the other power tube.

Hence, 1 12AX7 is a phase inverter while the other is a preamp tube.

ok i own the 212...i will go take pictures of the tubes and the manual if you dont believe me haha
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
We just had this discussion in a completely different thread. The Spider Valve isn't even horrible. In fact, I'd say it's a solid, if unspectacular, modeler once you EQ properly and figure out which models are worth it.

This. +
Quote by carlosyugui
Spider Valve>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spider III

This, +
Quote by MatrixClaw
Stop talking please.

IMO, the Spider Valve is better, but others will disagree. You can buy the 1x12 version of it on Sam Ash's website right now for $400, or the head for $450 at Zzounds. For that price, you won't find anything better.

This, = /thread.

The SVs are far from **** or "diarrhea" and if people played them they would see that instead of getting on the Spider bandwagon. I haven't had the pleasure of playing the flextones yet though TS, play them both and decide then report back or make a NAD thread.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
If you want a Line 6 amp, why not a Vetta? I like it a lot more than the Valve and Flextone.

Because contrary to popular belief, I'm not Bill Gates .
Quote by mechanix901
ok i own the 212...i will go take pictures of the tubes and the manual if you dont believe me haha

Yes you can take a picture.

In fact you don't have to, I have one as well.

I know there are 2 12AX7. Please go read up on the operation of class AB amps and phase inverters before making any more posts.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I don't really like Line 6 but i'd go with a Flextone over a spider valve for sure.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
transtube vypyr > spider valve. i played em both at sam ash recently. and with the spider it was really mediocre overall. if your willing to fork out that kind of money get the tube vypyr.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Well I went to the store and tried it and fell flat. The tones were very bland and when I finally got some good distortion it was digital. I didn't warm up the tubes and it was low, would it have made a difference?

I also tried the Flextone, which had some great cleans, but again the gain failed.

If you want to continue to help me find a good set up you can go here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182017
Quote by MatrixClaw
Stop talking please.

I would much rather take a tube Vypyr, a B-52 AT-112, or a Blackstar HT-5 over a Spider Valve.
Quote by JayT44
This, = /thread.

The SVs are far from **** or "diarrhea" and if people played them they would see that instead of getting on the Spider bandwagon. I haven't had the pleasure of playing the flextones yet though TS, play them both and decide then report back or make a NAD thread.
So basically your agreeing with a guy who says the Spider Valve is better even though you have not tried a Flextone?
Quote by CobainBohnam
I also tried the Flextone, which had some great cleans, but again the gain failed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir0YdxAQyjs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMQ_gn2eHR8&annotation_id=annotation_47121&feature=iv

Skip to 5:42 in the second video.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 13, 2009,