Is it preference or are there specific differences that are better for guitarists? What should I choose or will both work fine?
The real book is a fake book, and they aren't made for the convenience of the average guitarist. All of them assume the ability to read standard notation.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Same thing. Well, actually, one is illegal and one is not. But both are whats called lead sheets.

A lead sheet is more or less the melody written out with the chords written above. Basically, everything you would need to know to jam a jazz standard with your combo
just get both of them. they can't cost that much anyway.

Why complicate things?
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by allislost
just get both of them. they can't cost that much anyway.

Why complicate things?

Worst advice so far. Truly spoken by someone who has never owned/used/seen a real/fake book.
Quote by tubatom868686
Worst advice so far. Truly spoken by someone who has never owned/used/seen a real/fake book.

you do know that some fake books have songs that real books don't have and vise versa?

yeah anyway...

one of my friends has the "Just Jazz Real Book C Edition". i like it and i might get it, so you should check it out.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Well if you're looking for a real book in a hard copy check out "The Real Book: 6th Edition", but I personally favor most of the versions transcribed in the earlier versions.

The thing about the earlier ones was that they didn't pay royalties to the composers, so it is illegal but every musician I know has some for of copy of the original versions (old dogs in print, new guys in pdf).

The new ones though are totally legal and can be found at any sheet music store or online.
Any decent library will have both. Make copies like a real player does and put them in a huge 3 ring binder with coffee stains all over it.
Quote by allislost
you do know that some fake books have songs that real books don't have and vise versa?

yeah anyway...

one of my friends has the "Just Jazz Real Book C Edition". i like it and i might get it, so you should check it out.

And the real book 6 has songs that the real book 5 doesnt. They are more or less interchangeable