I have a few tuners kicking around and some other parts, so I was going make a little table top slide guitar with 3 string. Now for pickups, I have the 3 noisy-as-hell single coils I took out of my crap-strat. First question, how important is lining up the strings right over the pole pieces. The board I'm using is only 3 1/4 inches wide, so I can't mount the pickups straight across. I was going to angle them, but I was curious as to how important lining up the strings is. I think I'm going to use the bridge and middle pickup angles on the board, so I get the humbucker properties but get zero noise, because honestly I only ever used those pickups in position 2/4 because they were so noise.

That or I might spend a few bucks and buy a guitarfeitsh tele noiseless lipstick pickup. Are the lipstick pickups like the rails, in as it 1 solid pole piece across instead of 6 separate pieces?

I'll take pics of the process just for giggles, but it will be my first little build anyways.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
As for the pups, you could try to do what i did with my diddley bow (though wont cure the extra noice) and have one pick up each string.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Well I'm going 3 strings, but it was your thread the other day that inspired me to give it a try and use crap I have laying around without buying a single thing. The only thing I can't find around is an output jack. I could cut one of my 1/4 cables and hardwire, but I rather spend 3 bucks and buy a jack than cut up a $15 cable. Still takes away from having to spend any money though. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Lol, i know, I was saying maybe have them all vertical and each pick up has its own string, alternatively, you could try winding your own pickup, check instructables for cheap improvised ones, that could be interesting.

EDIT: as far as the output jack goes you could see if your music store would trade you anything for an output jack. I know mine will, but not all places are as down to earth as my local mom n pop shops
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Last edited by blindsagacity at Aug 13, 2009,
It really doesn't matter much at all, as magnetic fields are not lasers; they are what they say they are: fields. Though I believe the the field isn't exactly its strongest at its ends.

Since you have 3 strings, you could set the pickups with the strings in between the poles Jazz bass style.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS: