I play guitar on my church's worship team, and my one friend is leaving off for college, and I'm dropping down from lead and going to acoustic guitar, but I have a piece of crap ovation applause series. I definitely plan on getting a new acoustic, and I have about a $500-$700 price range or something close enough if its truly worth going the extra dollar. However, I'm rather picky, and I don't have much experience with acoustics, so I'll tell you what I'm looking for in it:

fairly good action for drifting and whatnot - pretty freaking important
good tone - pretty important
built in tuner - not really important
acoustic-electric - pretty important
cutaway - doesn't quite matter but is a +
non-ovation - pretty freaking important

if you have any good suggestions, I send my gratitude...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
yamaha fgx730s - acoustic electric, good tone. nice finish, good build, no cutaway.

any seagull acoustic electric - ya can't go wrong with seagull, but i believe none have cutaways.

in the price range you specify, these are probably two of the best. some will recommend takamines, and they are worth trying out. i don't care for the lower priced taks myself - don't sound or feel as good as the higher priced taks.

and don't for get the taylor 110e - some people here will tell you that taylors cost more because you're paying for the name. forget that - they are some of the most consistent guitars on the planet, well made with great sound and very good customer service. you may or may not like their sound for strumming, however - they are excellent for fingerstyle. no cutaway.

the action on any guitar can be lowered by your luthier - it is not something done by simply tweaking the truss rod. i had the action lowered at nut and saddle on my seagull. yamahas have fairly nice action, but i'd lower it anyway - i like it low and easy, which is why i don't recommend a breedlove.
that's not a bad price, i was hoping of getting a Taylor anyways, thanks for the input!

still accepting suggestions...
I don't charge much...

I've heard questionable things about Taylor's lower end stuff, but some people love it, so I guess it's subjective.

Either way, in that price range you should check out brands like Takamine, Alvarez, and if you're lucky...used Breedlove. Also, I think Seagull makes some pretty good stuff in this price range too. I'd check out some of that stuff if you can.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by patticake
yamaha fgx730s - acoustic electric, good tone. nice finish, good build, no cutaway.

any seagull acoustic electric - ya can't go wrong with seagull, but i believe none have cutaways.

in the price range you specify, these are probably two of the best. some will recommend takamines, and they are worth trying out. i don't care for the lower priced taks myself - don't sound or feel as good as the higher priced taks.

and don't for get the taylor 110e - some people here will tell you that taylors cost more because you're paying for the name. forget that - they are some of the most consistent guitars on the planet, well made with great sound and very good customer service. you may or may not like their sound for strumming, however - they are excellent for fingerstyle. no cutaway.

the action on any guitar can be lowered by your luthier - it is not something done by simply tweaking the truss rod. i had the action lowered at nut and saddle on my seagull. yamahas have fairly nice action, but i'd lower it anyway - i like it low and easy, which is why i don't recommend a breedlove.

thanks for the input, i think I'm leaning on Taylors 110 series after looking at Led's suggestion hence its out of the price range a little, but good reassurance...
I don't charge much...

i got a seagull not too long ago and love it. the only problem is they only have cutaway's on the more expensive models, i think. most have electronics though!

anyway, taylors are some definite bang for your buck. the epiphone masterbuilt series are supposed to be great. i really dislike the big disproportionate headstock on both taylors and epiphones though. thats probably not something that would bother you like it bothers me though haha
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
You should check out the alvarez md350 or md350c
All wood great sounding instrument that is currently at closeout prices at Z. Z. Sounds,
American Music Supply and possible Guitar Center.