So, today I called up a recruiter for the army to discuss my possible enrollment. I had been looking forward to talking to someone for a while now, weighing out my options to get me out of this city, and a decent garunteed job. However, as soon as the conversation started I was completely derailed by the statements "We don't accept diabetics" .. . . .WTF. I'm diabetic, not crippled. Hell, I'm healthy, I can do anything anyone else can do? But because my pancreas is a lazy bastard, I can't join. As it turns out, this is the case with all military personel. I have always knows that diabetes restricts me from certain things, but jobs too. . . . This entire thing seems extremely ****ed in my oppinion, and seems to limit me a lot. I was really planning on that to help me get out of here and get started on things. But enough of my ranting. My question to everyone else who is type 1 diabetic is: Have you been completely derailed from one/some of your hopes and aspirations because of your disease? I mean honestly, we live normal lives, but when it comes to somethings it just seems like the middle finger from god. Some of this stuff seems kind of rediculous, but just knowing you'd never be able to do these things kind of just crushes you in a sense. So, what's your story?
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
You do realize if you had been accepted you would have been shipped off to afghanistan ASAP right?
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
i think the reason they dont do that, is because they strain you and put you in situations where you wont have access to insulin or anything sugary if your sugar levels fluctuate, and since you can be out n the middle of nowhere thats why they do that, so you wont go being a "burden" for them, aka them having to worry about if you're okay or not.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by bambamm89
So, today I called up a recruiter for the army to discuss my possible enrollment. I had been looking forward to talking to someone for a while now, weighing out my options to get me out of this city, and a decent garunteed job. However, as soon as the conversation started I was completely derailed by the statements "We don't accept diabetics" .. . . .WTF. I'm diabetic, not crippled. Hell, I'm healthy, I can do anything anyone else can do? But because my pancreas is a lazy bastard, I can't join. As it turns out, this is the case with all military personel. I have always knows that diabetes restricts me from certain things, but jobs too. . . . This entire thing seems extremely ****ed in my oppinion, and seems to limit me a lot. I was really planning on that to help me get out of here and get started on things. But enough of my ranting. My question to everyone else who is type 1 diabetic is: Have you been completely derailed from one/some of your hopes and aspirations because of your disease? I mean honestly, we live normal lives, but when it comes to somethings it just seems like the middle finger from god. Some of this stuff seems kind of rediculous, but just knowing you'd never be able to do these things kind of just crushes you in a sense. So, what's your story?

Why are you getting so self-righteous about this? They can't possibly accept anyone who might have any kind of problems with awareness or reactions at any point, there is a chance that your diabetes will affect this at some point during your career. Calm down, smoke a joint and get over it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would rather have diabetes than fight a war, tbh.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
I'm not really looking to fight wars honestly. If I went into any armed forces, I'd most likely select the job that doesn't require fighting, like a chef, or a comp technician. I just need something that would get me out of here. I am not patriotic, nor do I support any wars really. But at the same time. It's just ****ed up to feel limited on options. Not like I was dying to get accepted, I just need something to get my ass moving in a direction far far from here.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

i'm type 1, and I haven't really been limited too much.....except for that ice cream eating contest
I prefer to call them seizures of desire.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by bambamm89
I'm not really looking to fight wars honestly. If I went into any armed forces, I'd most likely select the job that doesn't require fighting, like a chef, or a comp technician. I just need something that would get me out of here. I am not patriotic, nor do I support any wars really. But at the same time. It's just ****ed up to feel limited on options. Not like I was dying to get accepted, I just need something to get my ass moving in a direction far far from here.

Joining the army to move away isn't direction, it sounds to me like a substitue for direction because you can't make any choices for yourself. Get some real direction in life and move away when you've found somewhere real to go.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^^ Serving your country isn't a direction in life? Because I've always wanted to join the navy, it's always been my chosen direction in life, and the skills you acquire in the military are useful in the real world.

I'm going to be a Cryptologic Technician in the navy, and when/if I ever leave, I qualify for a lot of computer jobs, especially a Network and Systems Administrator, which is what my dad does, and he gets paid good money.

I think the Navy might accept diabetics

That and the navy has jobs where you aren't on the ground fighting. Get an administrative job, and see if you can get a waiver to join regardless of your diabetes, because I know you can get waivers for asthma.
Last edited by MercyfulFate505 at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by MercyfulFate505
^^ Serving your country isn't a direction in life? Because I've always wanted to join the navy, it's always been my chosen direction in life, and the skills you acquire in the military are useful in the real world.

I'm going to be a Cryptologic Technician in the navy, and when/if I ever leave, I qualify for a lot of computer jobs, especially a Network and Systems Administrator, which is what my dad does, and he gets paid good money.

That and the navy has jobs where you aren't on the ground fighting. Get an administrative job, and see if you can get a waiver to join regardless of your diabetes, because I know you can get waivers for asthma.

I'm not saying that the job is a substitute for direction in all cases, especially not yours, but in the TSs case it does.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Look. 100 years ago, you wouldn't live to be 20. So I wouldn't complain too much.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm not saying that the job is a substitute for direction in all cases, especially not yours, but in the TSs case it does.

A chef? You could pretty much go anywhere as a chef. Or a computer technician as he stated.

Both jobs are always in need, as is the army. TS would be pretty much set for the rest of his life if the army let him in.
It's not a substitute for direction, it's a start to where I want to go in life. I want to get more disciplined and get more job experience behind me for the jobs I actually want. And the entire time I'm garunteed a job. The area I'm in has a horrible unemployment rate. I get tired of going in wondering if I'm going to have my job everyday. With the military, I could afford to go to school, work, and keep myself steady and out of trouble. Seems much better than just hanging around here doing nothing.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

type 1 diabetic here:
I wanted to be a pilot, but now I can't.
dude, having diabetes sucks, it limits your jobs, your food intake, your drug use, your alcohol consumption, and eventually your libido.
hell, im at 58 right now. eating toast
get over it dude, you got a short life ahead of you
might as well own the **** out of it
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Sad to hear it, sugar.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Grab a few bottles of water, a few cans of beans.
Bring insulin for three days.
Hang out in a desert/forest/on mountain for a week.
See how well you feel at the end.

That's why you can't be in the army. Sorry kiddo.
umm you WANT to join the army?
are you in like severe financial problems?
or do you just wanna 'free' more iraqis...

i'd rather have diabetes than join the army.

FLAME ON
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by MercyfulFate505

What kind of pay does your dad get exactly?
the army probably doesn't give enough of a **** to have a second kitchen thats going to cater to a soldier with special dietary needs.. it'd be pretty ****ing funny tho to have an entire platoon wiped out because the shipment of insulin couldn't make it to the frontline.

as far as i understand, they also don't give enough of a crap to give soldiers gear that might keep them warm when doing arctic exercises.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by JacobLampman
I would rather have diabetes than fight a war, tbh.

Yeah
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...