Hello everyone. This is my first post on this site and I hope I am in the right place. I am looking for advice on which direction I should go.

I have been trying to self teach myself how to play the guitar on and off for several years. Unfortunately I do not have very much natural talent but I can learn at times. I have used several different books. Most of them teach how to read music and how use notes and a couple chords to play basic songs. I used a few with some different strategies. I have never finished any of them . On and off practice and some times lack of time.

I have tried tabs a little but I struggle to read them because I am more accustomed to reading sheet music.Especially if they have the cords listed above the music I am in good shape.

I am getting better at my play but no where near a good musician. But I would like to continue to improve my playing. And learn some songs other than "you are my sunshine"My question is what should I do. Should I try to learn to play tabs of continue to try to learn sheet music? Either way are there any good sites for exercises for anything that could add to my ability?

Any advice is appreciated
I'd highly recommend getting a teacher for awhile. Let them get you through the basics at least.
shred is gaudy music
If you want to learn more modern music I'd say tabs are wayy easier.

If you want to learn to be a fluent sight reader, pickup playing classical or jazz as they are going to be more interesting than any of the guitar methods that have you reading sheet music.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I'd highly recommend getting a teacher for awhile. Let them get you through the basics at least.

Awesome link thanks
tabs kill me some times. If it would just say it is a C I would not spend so much time trying to figure out what it is. Those numbers loose me sometimes
Quote by samchuck
tabs kill me some times. If it would just say it is a C I would not spend so much time trying to figure out what it is. Those numbers loose me sometimes

Yes, but which C?

Tabs will tell you the exact place to play something rather then you guessing.
practice 2-3 hours daily, learn your rhythm by playing drop-D songs, start off w/beginner tabs, AND THE MOST IMPORTANT: motivate yourself. this can be done many ways, but IMO; one must tap into his/her guitar mantra (groove). try 2 set short term goals. think of the many guitarists who had to start from square 1! after all they are just people like us!
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS