So in my Gibson SG Special I'm still rocking the stock twin humbuckers, and I know these get criticized often, so I'm looking into getting some new pickups to improve the big tone I want. I find myself mostly playing on the treble, and the style I play is mainly hardcore (punk and metal influenced) so I'm looking for a BIG heavy sound that sustains well (obviously playing through heavy distortion). I may not be getting these right away, so price isn't exactly a huge deal to me, but I guess my budget is around $100/150?

Thanks

edit: I'm playing through a marshall jcm900, that might help!
Last edited by nikereds at Aug 13, 2009,
The Duncan SH5 Custom should be right up your alley. I find I need to EQ in some bass though, but with that little tweak it sounds better than any other pickup I've played through. The JB might be too thin for what you're looking for, and the Duncan Distortion is supposed to be a lot like the Custom, but more trebly.
thanks, i'll look into em.

minor threat rules

edit: i hear dirty fingers pickups are good, too. anyone have an opinion?
Last edited by nikereds at Aug 13, 2009,
Kudos for a good amp to play through, rather than the usual lowend SS amp.

But SD distortion pups sounds pretty nice.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Off topic sorry but how does the JCM900 play? i play hardcore punk & metal would it do both? I like a nice phat tight tone for metal.. possible?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Gibson 500T in bridge, that pickup works like magic in SGs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by bucketmark
Off topic sorry but how does the JCM900 play? i play hardcore punk & metal would it do both? I like a nice phat tight tone for metal.. possible?

the head sounds right up your alley. great gain, full sound
THe underoath guy uses a Duncan JB?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412