Someone I know claimed that it's idiotic to plug more than one guitar into each amp because something about the sound waves will cause them to cancel out, resulting in no noise. Is this true or is he just being a preposterous liar who's trying to seem smart? Some people give off that impression...

Oh, and ignore any issues you might have with it being weird to plug more than one guitar into an amp; I'm more interested in whether this noise-cancelling theory is indeed true. Actually, on that note, if the guy is wrong and you can simultaneously play two instruments through one amp, would it be softer? I mean, theoretically, if a 30W amp can produce 30W of sound or whatever, two guitars played through it at full volume wouldn't produce 60W of sound. Would each guitar just be at half volume?

Thanks in advance!
No the amp stays the same always. It will never get louder if you put more guitars into it. Only if you boost the volume, it will increase the preamp volume. In short, don't do two guitars, one amp.Itll end up like 2g1c; a big, slobbery bunch of sh!t.
For my guitar lessons we both plug into one amp, it doesnt sound amazing, but it works fine.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Im very sure the sound waves wont cancel out. As long as the amp has two inputs, it shouldnt hurt it, but it won't sound as good.
Thanks, that's all I was wondering - whether there's sound and stuff, even though it logically wouldn't sound that great. Does anyone know what happens if you play two guitars through an amp at full volume, though? I'm afraid to try it, in case my crappy Ashton practice bass amp explodes. XD
if my physics knowledge serves me correctly (it may not since its summer after all), but the only way it would cancel out would be if one guitar played 'Note A' and the other would have to play something that would have an inverted phase in correlation to 'Note A'. or maybe im just full of ****...who knows?
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
I think that the two seperate signals fighting against each other to go into the amp would be totally useless, sound wise. I honestly wouldn'tt advise to do this. You would more than likely get weird volume jumps when both guitarists are playing and when one goes off-rhythm of the other, their volume will skyrocket.

I think when both guitars are played simulatenously, the amp will half the amount of signal from each to allow them to pass into the amp. so they each will be at half volume, and then when they're not being played, the noise floor will jump up. once one player misses their timing by a second and the other is spot on, their volumes will be all over the place and totally irrational.

/my $0.02
To get phase cancellation, you have to have 3 things

1. 2 speakers out of phase, or 2 signals out of phase (basically, signals in 180 degree phase)
2. The EXACT same frequency has to be coming out of those to speakers
3. At the same amplitude

If those 3 conditions occur, you will get complete phase cancellation

EDIT: So basically, no, it will sound ghetto, but they will not cancel out
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Last edited by Shirate at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Shirate
To get phase cancellation, you have to have 3 things

1. 2 speakers out of phase, or 2 signals out of phase (basically, signals in 180 degree phase)
2. The EXACT same frequency has to be coming out of those to speakers
3. At the same amplitude

If those 3 conditions occur, you will get complete phase cancellation

EDIT: So basically, no, it will sound ghetto, but they will not cancel out

ah this is what i was looking for, need to brush up on all that stuff again ha
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
I've tried it and it doesn't really work. The two signals almost fight to be heard and most of the time you can only hear one of the guitars.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000