Page 1 of 2
have you ever heard had a skim through your Itunes and had a song listed under a band or artist you like a lot, and the song is absolutely fantastic, but then you search up some information on the song and find out it's written by someone COMPLETELY different than who you thought. for example, i've just been listening to More Than Words, and i was under the impression that Clapton wrote it since the singing sounds identical to him and itunes listed it as Clapton. however upon investigation it was written and performed by Extreme.

yours?
I thought that we will rock you was aerosmith and that livin on the edge was bon jovi

EDIT, and I thought this from growing up wit da music, all my itunes are from cds so i no were there comin from
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Last edited by Aerokizzombie at Aug 13, 2009,
I had this song blanker and it was supposedly by tool, and i figured out that it was blank earth by chevelle, and there was a song called, alone and it said that it was by creed and tool. But it was by a band called downface i think.

Oh and another that was obvious to me was the whole system of a down legend of zelda thats actually the rabbit joint.
Quote by xaviergray
EVERYBODY thinks that Don't Worry, Be Happy is by Bob Marley. I don't tell them it isn't because it's fun to watch them wallow in their own delusions.

People think Bob Marley wrote a lot of songs because of Limewire.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
uh Hey Joe and All Along the Watchtower come to mind.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by dubstar92
People think Bob Marley wrote a lot of songs because of Limewire.

It's fun because I can always tell when someone is a Limewire user because of their misconceptions on authorship of music.
Creep by Stone Temple Pilots

I love STP but Goddamn does that sound like Nirvana
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by xaviergray
EVERYBODY thinks that Don't Worry, Be Happy is by Bob Marley. I don't tell them it isn't because it's fun to watch them wallow in their own delusions.

It's not Bob Marley? Since when?
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
i thought the song "Bodies" was by Rob Zombie
only to find out its by Drowning Pool
stoopid frostwire

oh and i thought "Last Kiss" was originally by Pearl Jam for a while
Quote by namesroverrated
It's not Bob Marley? Since when?

since Bobby McFerrin wrote it.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
There's this song on my iTunes called "Surgery" and it says it's by Stone Sour, but when you listen to it, the voice sounds nothing like Corey and the music behind the voice sounds nothing like the band at all. It is a somewhat decent song though, even if I I have no idea who it's by.

/kind of relevant to the thread
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by xaviergray

dude, that pisses me off soooooo much

also, when people think "Cat's In The Cradle" is Cat Stevens, it pisses me off, too
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
One of my friends thought Mrs. Robinson was written by the Beatles. that's just unacceptable. limewire or not, that's something you should just know
Quote by xaviergray

Same with Red Red Wine.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

lime wire ****ed me up, i though born to be wild was AC/DC until i heard the voice, someone knows the real author of the song??
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
One of my friends thought Mrs. Robinson was written by the Beatles. that's just unacceptable. limewire or not, that's something you should just know

This is what I don't get. I don't see why everyone should have a vast wealth of knowledge on the subject of classic rock. I'd go into a subjectivity rant but I don't feel like it right now.

Also back from when I used to use limewire a lot I downloaded this song called "Blood for Blood" by (including, but not limited to Meshuggah, Demon Hunter, and Opeth. I'm pretty sure it's not by any of those, I don't even know if it's the proper name of the song. Needless to say I don't really care who it's by because I don't like it very much.
Quote by HarvesterofPain
Christ, I suppose you're gonna try to tell me Marley didn't write "Voodoo Child" either???

no that was metallica.
i thought the song "Bodies" was by Rob Zombie
only to find out its by Drowning Pool
stoopid frostwire

Ya same here
Quote by xaviergray
This is what I don't get. I don't see why everyone should have a vast wealth of knowledge on the subject of classic rock. I'd go into a subjectivity rant but I don't feel like it right now.

maybe because Mrs. Robinson was a HUGE hit for Simon and Garfunkle. and its very widely known in pop culture. saying you've never heard of Mrs. Robinson is like saying you've never heard of Elvis. it's just something you SHOULD know based on popular culture, not the type of music.
I thought that some song called "Prisoners of Society" was by Green Day but its really from some Aussie band or something.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
maybe because Mrs. Robinson was a HUGE hit for Simon and Garfunkle. and its very widely known in pop culture. saying you've never heard of Mrs. Robinson is like saying you've never heard of Elvis. it's just something you SHOULD know based on popular culture, not the type of music.

I've heard of it but never listened to it. I had no idea who it was by and, frankly, couldn't care less, because I'm not much of a fan of classic rock. Used to be, but I'd obsess over a few bands and ignore the rest.
I had to go through hell to prove to a few mates that the R'n'B cover of "It's Hard To Say I'm Sorry" was by Az Yet, and not Boyz II Men.
They obviously limewired it and were trying to prove me wrong, and for some reason they felt like they were infinitely superior to me when it comes to music because of this.

I brang up the youtube clip of it and they insisted that the people on the screen were Boyz II Men and that whoever uploaded it got it wrong.

Boyz II Men are my all-time favourite band, I know what they look like, so I brang up some clips of Boyz II Men, and eventually proved to them that it was Az Yet, not Boyz II Men who did the cover.

Then one of them had the audacity to say "oh it must have been labelled wrong on lime wire".
Yeah. Dickhead.

I also had to put up with a mate who thought Celine Dion DIDN'T cover The Power Of Love.
He kept trying to tell me the version I played (which was Celine Dion's, not the original) was the original.

As for personal screw ups, well, none really.. I've always been able to tell whether the singer is who I thought it was.. I once downloaded the song "Superman" by Goldfinger, but it was labelled as being done by Josh Groban.
I knew the instant the song started that it wasn't Josh Groban. ._.

Limewire screw ups have actually got me into a few different bands, one example being when "Not Good Enough For The Truth Cliche" was labelled as My Chemical Romance, but it didn't sound like MCR, so I looked into it further and found out it was Escape The Fate, a band I actually got into for a while.
Quote by King Turi
I had to go through hell to prove to a few mates that the R'n'B cover of "It's Hard To Say I'm Sorry" was by Az Yet, and not Boyz II Men.
They obviously limewired it and were trying to prove me wrong, and for some reason they felt like they were infinitely superior to me when it comes to music because of this.

I brang up the youtube clip of it and they insisted that the people on the screen were Boyz II Men and that whoever uploaded it got it wrong.

Boyz II Men are my all-time favourite band, I know what they look like, so I brang up some clips of Boyz II Men, and eventually proved to them that it was Az Yet, not Boyz II Men who did the cover.

Then one of them had the audacity to say "oh it must have been labelled wrong on lime wire".
Yeah. Dickhead.

I also had to put up with a mate who thought Celine Dion DIDN'T cover The Power Of Love.
He kept trying to tell me the version I played (which was Celine Dion's, not the original) was the original.

As for personal screw ups, well, none really.. I've always been able to tell whether the singer is who I thought it was.. I once downloaded the song "Superman" by Goldfinger, but it was labelled as being done by Josh Groban.
I knew the instant the song started that it wasn't Josh Groban. ._.

Limewire screw ups have actually got me into a few different bands, one example being when "Not Good Enough For The Truth Cliche" was labelled as My Chemical Romance, but it didn't sound like MCR, so I looked into it further and found out it was Escape The Fate, a band I actually got into for a while.

i ****ing hate limewire. i once got into a fight with a friend because he tried to tell me that Tunnel Of Love was written by The Who...

I had to dig out my old vinyl of Making Movies to prove that it was written by Dire Straits. yet another song you should just "know"
Quote by xaviergray

You mean it's not?

Oh, and I thought that Cage The Elephant song "No Rest For The Wicked", or whatever, was a new Stone Temple Pilots track when I first heard it. Had to look it up on line.

And now I'm a Cage the Elephant fan.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 13, 2009,
Well, this is kinda relevant to the thread, but my friend used to think that "Come on Feel The Noise" by Quiet Riot was actually called "Girls Rock Your Boys" Honestly dont know why he thought that.

And this other creepy chick thought that Ballroom Blitz was by Queen, I shot that down right away being the Queen fan I am.
Quote by xaviergray
I've heard of it but never listened to it. I had no idea who it was by and, frankly, couldn't care less, because I'm not much of a fan of classic rock. Used to be, but I'd obsess over a few bands and ignore the rest.

it's not classic rock first off. it's not rock at all. why let genre elitism get in the way of great music?
Quote by a7xplayer

And this other creepy chick thought that Ballroom Blitz was by Queen, I shot that down right away being the Queen fan I am.

Limewire tricked me into thinking that it was by The Misfits!! I just couldn't completely believe it but decided to go along with it anyways.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
it's not classic rock first off. it's not rock at all. why let genre elitism get in the way of great music?

See, that's exactly why I don't pay attention genre anymore. Categorization is what leads to things being bland and uninteresting.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

See? I don't even know what genre it is I used to ONLY listen to classic rock until I realized there was FAR more stuff that was made post-1990 that I preferred. Mostly metal, post-rock, electronic stuff, and Radiohead. It's not that I don't want to listen to old stuff, it's that I'm too busy finding good new stuff I like all the time.
I thought a song by Billy Joel was by Paul McCartney. It's called Don't Ask Me Why.
Quote by NewsoftheWorld
I thought that some song called "Prisoners of Society" was by Green Day but its really from some Aussie band or something.

yeah the band is the Living End, real top band.

I'm still unsure who does 'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' pretty sure Poison did it first, but its listed under like gnr and bon jovi, whether they did covers of it i don't know, i really don't know.
The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick
Last edited by TOOTH&NAIL at Aug 13, 2009,
I always though Stairway to Heaven was by Led Zeppelin, apparently it's by a band called Spirit...
Quote by crazy8rgood
You mean it's not?

Oh, and I thought that Cage The Elephant song "No Rest For The Wicked", or whatever, was a new Stone Temple Pilots track when I first heard it. Had to look it up on line.

And now I'm a Cage the Elephant fan.

they're my new favorite band

i used to thing my own worst enemy was by blink-182
Quote by NewsoftheWorld

Pssh! The Living End > Green Day
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Page 1 of 2