I'm gonna start off by stating that I have about $600 to spend. I Play mostly alternative metal like Tool, TDG, Skillet, Decyfer Down, etc.
WHat would be the best effects setup for me to have? Please explain why to have each, and what the main use of each would normally be.
And any extra effects tips/info are always accepted.
You've gotta be who you are,
and don't be what you're not.
If you want to be of the world,
then you can't be of God.
Last edited by Lemurs4mangos at Aug 13, 2009,
Bass big muff pi- distortion
micro POG- octave up/down
some kind of delay made for bass
Some kind of chorus made for bass
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I'm not a fan of chorus, but you can use it to fill your sound and sometimes get weird windy effects. I like using a Big Bass Muff to make things fuzzy and an Hartke Bass attack to emulate tube overdrive. A phaser might be nice if you have long stretches of root notes that you want to have some tonal variance on.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
^A phaser is also a great idea
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
If I had around 600 bucks to spend for I would go with the following.

Fulltone Bass Drive - Add some grit to your tone.

Electro-Harmonics Micro POG - For the octave up and harmonizing type schmeal.

Line 6 DL4 Delay - Delay for the thick/echo-ish tone. Looping is always fun too. (In a sort of un-related story, I almost bought one the other day for 155 on ebay, but in the closing minutes of the auction someone took it at the but it now price. I ended up settling for a Line 6 echo park for 70 bucks)

Digitech Bass Chorus - You can never go wrong with a solid chorus pedal in you chain as far as I'm concerned.

But hey, that's just me...

EDIT: I looked at your profile, and for the love of god don't spend 600 bucks on effects if your still using a Squier P-bass and Rumble 15.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Aug 13, 2009,
^ I think the bass big muff keeps your low end in tact more than the fulltone. It might just be that way with my rig though.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Captain Insano
If I had around 600 bucks to spend for I would go with the following.

Fulltone Bass Drive - Add some grit to your tone.

Electro-Harmonics Micro POG - For the octave up and harmonizing type schmeal.

Line 6 DL4 Delay - Delay for the thick/echo-ish tone. Looping is always fun too. (In a sort of un-related story, I almost bought one the other day for 155 on ebay, but in the closing minutes of the auction someone took it at the but it now price. I ended up settling for a Line 6 echo park for 70 bucks)

Digitech Bass Chorus - You can never go wrong with a solid chorus pedal in you chain as far as I'm concerned.

But hey, that's just me...

EDIT: I looked at your profile, and for the love of god don't spend 600 bucks on effects if your still using a Squier P-bass and Rumble 15.

Hehe, yeah I haven't updated that, I have a Behringer 300 Watt head, and Cab, and a new Peavey Millennium 5-String.
I should probably fix all that stuff...
Quote by Lemurs4mangos
Hehe, yeah I haven't updated that, I have a Behringer 300 Watt head, and Cab, and a new Peavey Millennium 5-String.
I should probably fix all that stuff...

Yeah, you still might want to consider a new amp...
Definitely consider a new amp first
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
The Cab's doin it for me, I use the Rumble as a practice, and the Cab for shows and such.
The biggest tip you can get concerning effects- if you have to ask other people what you should get, you shouldn't get effects. If you were asking for specifics, like "I'd really like a distortion. What is there in x price range I should try out?" then great, you've established a need and are looking to fill it. Otherwise, it's just a $600 potentially wasted spending spree. Get yourself a multi effects unit, play around with it, and then decide what kind of effects you need.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The biggest tip you can get concerning effects- if you have to ask other people what you should get, you shouldn't get effects. If you were asking for specifics, like "I'd really like a distortion. What is there in x price range I should try out?" then great, you've established a need and are looking to fill it. Otherwise, it's just a $600 potentially wasted spending spree. Get yourself a multi effects unit, play around with it, and then decide what kind of effects you need.

Thats exactly what I'm doing, I'm trying to do all in one thread what could take multiple, I want to see what brands and such people are reccomending.
Gad damn, you guys just love telling people what they're "worthy of" and what the "can do" or what they "shouldn't do"
I wanted some ****ing ideas of what the MAIN BASICS OF EFFECTS WERE NOT YOUR ****ING BASS LAWS, OR WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANNA CALL THEM! If you think you know every ****ing thing, you're wrong, and you don't get to tell people what they should or should not do.
What hes trying to say is that you dont know what you want, therefore you might buy it, toy around with it for a few days then realise its a waste of money
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
What hes trying to say is that you dont know what you want, therefore you might buy it, toy around with it for a few days then realise its a waste of money

TS is saying he has an idea what he wants, but doesn't know what brands are praised, which are scorned, etc. He is looking for our general opinion on pedals / brands.
Now say his name.....
If he had an idea what he wanted, he would've posted it instead of asking what he should get and why
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Well, for those types of bands mentioned in your post, I'd say you might want a fuzz, overdrive, chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, wah, pitch altering, ring modulator & pretty much any other type of effect under the sun lol. But let's go through what would be the most effective IMO.

Fuzz - A type of muff would be a good place to start, but the muff sound has a mid scoop, so to cut through more in your band setting tou might want to couple it with a tube screamer or clone. Another fuzz you might like to try out is either a DOD or Digitech Grunge, I quite like them, but with the Digitech, you'd need to mod it to keep more low end. If you want to spend more, I personally love the Wounded Paw Attack Goat.

Overdrive - Pretty much in this respect, there are only three pedals that I'd really suggest you try, I love the Ashdown LoMenzo Hyperdrive pedal, it's a really nice overdrive, or there's the Ibanez Tubescreamer, or clones of it (like the Digitech Bad Monkey) & I'd also suggest Blackstar pedals, there overdrive is really nice. Alot of people will also sugest that you try out Sansamp pedals, they sound nice from the demos that I've heard, although I've never used one, so can't offer much of an opinion.

Wah - The main competetors in bass wahs are Dunlop & Morley, the Dunlop Bass Crybaby with a nice wah, sound very funky, but hell I've used it well in the context of a Doom Metal band, also there is Morley, there wahs are more voiced for playing rock on, personally I'd give the TM Stevens Fonk Wah (by Morley) a try, they look like they'd be very nice wahs, if my Dunlop ever gives out, I intend to order a Morley.

Chorus - There are alot of chorus pedals out there, but the main four that people use on bass (& thus are generally a good place to start) are produced by Boss, Electro Harmonix, Digitech & MXR. Although, I did really like a DOD Icebox chorus pedal that I tried, wish I picked that up when I had the chance.
Last edited by higgins666 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by sonsie
If he had an idea what he wanted, he would've posted it instead of asking what he should get and why

Maybe YOU would have, but I don't think you know me that well.
Sorry.
Quote by higgins666
Well, for those types of bands mentioned in your post, I'd say you might want a fuzz, overdrive, chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, wah, pitch altering, ring modulator & pretty much any other type of effect under the sun lol. But let's go through what would be the most effective IMO.
Fuzz - A type of muff would be a good place to start, but the muff sound has a mid scoop, so to cut through more in your band setting tou might want to couple it with a tube screamer or clone. Another fuzz you might like to try out is either a DOD or Digitech Grunge, I quite like them, but with the Digitech, you'd need to mod it to keep more low end. If you want to spend more, I personally love the Wounded Paw Attack Goat.
Overdrive - Pretty much in this respect, there are only three pedals that I'd really suggest you try, I love the Ashdown LoMenzo Hyperdrive pedal, it's a really nice overdrive, or there's the Ibanez Tubescreamer, or clones of it (like the Digitech Bad Monkey) & I'd also suggest Blackstar pedals, there overdrive is really nice.
Wah - The main competetors in bass wahs are Dunlop & Morley, the Dunlop Bass Crybaby with a nice wah, sound very funky, but hell I've used it well in the context of a Doom Metal band, also there is Morley, there wahs are more voiced for playing rock on, personally I'd give the TM Stevens Fonk Wah (by Morley) a try, they look like they'd be very nice wahs, if my Dunlop ever gives out, I intend to order a Morley.

And here's a person that gets why I put this up.
However, there are masses of effects, and each one will have several "flavours" (e.g. analogue and digital delay) and then each pedal will do that flavour in a different way. Knowing the sounds you want is very important.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
NEW AMP NOW, if some money left, get a fuzz or overdrive ... maybe a fulltone or a EHX
Fender: Aerodyne Precision Bass
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

BOSS: TU-2
BOSS: ODB-3
Jim Dunlop: Bass Wah Wah
Electro Harmonix: The Mole
Electro Harmonix: Bass Big Muff
Behringer: Bass Limiter Enchancer

Hartke: Kickback 12
Quote by J.J.Jolly
NEW AMP NOW, if some money left, get a fuzz or overdrive ... maybe a fulltone or a EHX

Do you guys NOT get the idea that I have a 300W Cab AND Head?! (Behringer)
I honestly DON"T NEED a new amp. God damn, if I wanted a new amp I would have ASKED ABOUT A DAMN AMP!
FORGET ABOUT THE AMPS. OBVIOUSLY VERY FEW BASSSISTS CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT A PERSON IS ASKING AND ACTUALLY ANSWER.
You need to chill out, dude. We're saying that you might need a new amp because people are often disappointed with their Behringer products and we don't want your amp to crap out on you, so we suggested you get a new one. As far as the effects, that is covered in the FAQ.

Calm down, getting pissed off and cussing people out is not gonna get you your answer.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
You need to chill out, dude. We're saying that you might need a new amp because people are often disappointed with their Behringer products and we don't want your amp to crap out on you, so we suggested you get a new one. As far as the effects, that is covered in the FAQ.

Calm down, getting pissed off and cussing people out is not gonna get you your answer.

I've had the behringer for a year now and I love it, so you guys can stick to the damn question I ask.
you should REALLY get a new amp at least some Peavey or Hartkey

second I reccomend to get a multi fx like a zoom b2.1 or the boss bt-8

if you want some effects

for everdrive the sansamp bass driver or the sansamp vt bass

chorus the digitech multuichorus for bass is cheap and its great

delay some digitech or boss might work it out

flanger the boss bf3
Last edited by thegiaco2112 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by thegiaco2112
you should REALLY get a new amp at least some Peavey or Hartkey

second I reccomend to get a multi fx like a zoom b2.1 or the boss bt-8

Did you NOT read what I JUST WROTE!
I said no new goddam amp!
I like the tone I have now, I've got PLENTY of power, and I'm peerfectly... Satasfied.
Quote by Captain Insano
Yeah, you still might want to consider a new amp...

Okay guys, This amp **** is pissing me off. If I thought I need a new amp... I Wouldda asked about an amp. Now I'm curious, why the hell should I get a new ****ing amp? Once I get an answer, NO MORE DAMN AMP COMMENTS!
Quote by Lemurs4mangos
Did you NOT read what I JUST WROTE!
I said no new goddam amp!
I like the tone I have now, I've got PLENTY of power, and I'm peerfectly... Satasfied.

stick with the actual advice we've given and ignore people trying to get you to get the best out of your money. The reason why they are suggesting is because B's aren't the best at making you sound great. If you put effects in front of it, they won't sound as good as if you had a better amp. This is why they are saying this.

Anyway, stick to the posts that are on topic, we've given a lot of examples.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
stick with the actual advice we've given and ignore people trying to get you to get the best out of your money. The reason why they are suggesting is because B's aren't the best at making you sound great. If you put effects in front of it, they won't sound as good as if you had a better amp. This is why they are saying this.

Anyway, stick to the posts that are on topic, we've given a lot of examples.

Make Me sound good? I'm sorry but I don't need something to make me sound good, obviously unlike many, I'm a believer that true sound comes from the artist, not his amp, or his sound mixer as most of you probably use. When I record, its just me playing, I may add distortion, and wah and such, but atleast I'm not making it sound clean when I can't even play.

*CLOSED*
lol Settle down Lemur, this forum just has a lot of Behringer hate and for a good reason. If you dont want to change amp, there's nothing we can do to make you.

Anyway I'd recommend distortion, either the boss distortion (DB-3 i think?) or the ashdown distortion.
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
lol Settle down Lemur, this forum just has a lot of Behringer hate and for a good reason. If you dont want to change amp, there's nothing we can do to make you.

Anyway I'd recommend distortion, either the boss distortion (DB-3 i think?) or the ashdown distortion.

...Read My Above Post Please...
**NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS****NO MORE POSTS**
I have the bass big muff pi and the boss bass eq. I dont play metal but the eq is very good and has a metal preset in the book.
Um...why havn't you ppl been mentioning FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer FLANGER FLANGer!

do it.