K guyses. heres what i got. HSS MIM Strat.

What i play: everything, but mainly classic rock and just most lead rock guitar

Price range: under 50 bucks on ebay.

Ok i mainly play classic rock, and more mid gain average rock, not high gain metal stuff, and the humbucker works great for that stuff.

But even playing clean, or with any distortion, the neck pickup on my strat is so muddy and just crappy sounding.

Is there any single coils (sc sized humbucker maybe?) that can get me a real CLEAR smooth lead tone even with some distortion.

Any help guys?

Remember, under 50 on ebay

I just want a neck pickup.

Hows the little '59? I need "soaring" clear and smooth tones out of it, even with a good bit of distortion

Thanks Guys,
Nathan
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
Definitely look into the Texas Specials... I have them in my '95 MIM Strat and LOVE them!

are they good sounding with a fair bit of gain? I mean like gun's n' roses, aerosmith style rock?

DOnt get muddy?
Quote by stratman7
Air Norton S, but it'll be tough to find one for 50 bucks.

I found one for 70. Is it really good? how would you describe the tone?

Im wanting almost a slash neck pickup tone. like sweet child, enstranged, stuff like that. I know i need a les paul probably for the style of music i play, but strats just really dont sell for over 275, and les pauls standards on craigslist sell for like 350.

So im just gonna try and customize my strat
What amp are you using and how is it set, also how close is the pickup to the strings? I'm just asking because I've never heard a muddy strat neck pickup in my life, no matter how crappy the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
di marzio area '67
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Lower your pickup! I was getting frustrated and even considered selling my Ibanez because I thought something was wrong with the whole thing. Cleans sounded great but hitting the high notes with distortion gave me cringe-worthy muddiness. Now it's all crystal clear squeaky

All it took me is a few turns of the screwdriver.
Quote by steven seagull
What amp are you using and how is it set, also how close is the pickup to the strings? I'm just asking because I've never heard a muddy strat neck pickup in my life, no matter how crappy the guitar.

Amp is vox ad30vt. I have it on the jcm800 model mainly with gain:8, volume:6, Treble: 10, mids: 10, Bass: 8, master: where ever i need it.

Are strats usually clear with distortion though?
anyone? what kind of a pickup (can you find one on ebay for under 65 with shipping? link?), will give me a sweet soaring smooth lead tone for a neck pickup for strat? Im guessing ill need a single sized humbucker? I need real smooth slashish tone
Quote by nathanlamb01098
anyone? what kind of a pickup (can you find one on ebay for under 65 with shipping? link?), will give me a sweet soaring smooth lead tone for a neck pickup for strat? Im guessing ill need a single sized humbucker? I need real smooth slashish tone

Get a hold of the pick-up he uses in the neck slot? (I have no idea what he uses sorry)
Quote by satchgear
Get a hold of the pick-up he uses in the neck slot? (I have no idea what he uses sorry)

He uses alnico II's right? do they even make those in sc size?
I'm not sure. I may have misread the post. You're looking for single coil that sounds like his tone? right. There is some strats that have a hum-cancelling single coil pick-up. I don't know what model of strat and I don't know the model of the pick-up. However, someone on here might know what I'm talking about?(might be the s1 switching system strats I think). It's probably you're best bet. Thing is. It probably won't sound exactly like slash's sound. It's a tough one to get around.
Quote by satchgear
I'm not sure. I may have misread the post. You're looking for single coil that sounds like his tone? right. There is some strats that have a hum-cancelling single coil pick-up. I don't know what model of strat and I don't know the model of the pick-up. However, someone on here might know what I'm talking about?(might be the s1 switching system strats I think). It's probably you're best bet. Thing is. It probably won't sound exactly like slash's sound. It's a tough one to get around.

ok not slash necassarely (totally spelt wrong, dont know how haha)

but a strong, smooth, soaring neck pickup that sounds good with lots of gain.

I mean almost like a les paul style neck pickup sound

how are these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Seymour-Duncan-Hot-Rails-Neck-Position-Pickups_W0QQitemZ290339048481QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item43998e4c21&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Seymours do have a good strong sound, but I can't say for you. I have only ever tried the humbucker variations. Is there a website (maybe the official) that can describe it for you a little better? might get some good info on whether it sounds like its humbucker counterpart.
Okay I found this out on the official site.

Blackouts Singles AS-1
Hot but balanced single coil tone in a direct retrofit for Stratocaster® guitars. Ideal for heavy blues, classic rock, and heavy rock.

Sound anything like what you're looking for?

It also mentions it being a humcanceller.

Here is more..

description
Blackouts Singles are voiced for heavy rock. They’ll drive your amp harder and they’re great for use with pedals or other signal processing. They’re perfect for everything from chunky rhythms to searing leads.
Last edited by satchgear at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by satchgear
Okay I found this out on the official site.

Blackouts Singles AS-1
Hot but balanced single coil tone in a direct retrofit for Stratocaster® guitars. Ideal for heavy blues, classic rock, and heavy rock.

Sound anything like what you're looking for?

It also mentions it being a humcanceller.

Here is more..

description
Blackouts Singles are voiced for heavy rock. They’ll drive your amp harder and they’re great for use with pedals or other signal processing. They’re perfect for everything from chunky rhythms to searing leads.

blackouts are active right? if so i dont really want to.

Anyone know anything about the neck hot rail?
Seymour Duncan Hot Rail info..

application
High output single-coil-size "rails" humbucker. Great for classic rock, garage, punk, heavy rock, thrash, classic metal and nu-metal.

description
One of the highest output and most popular pickups we make. The two thin blades, strong ceramic magnet and powerful coil windings give you the incredible sustain and a fat, full sound that's needed for playing heavier rock music. This pickup responds to the subtlest finger movements. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable.

complete setup
Available for both bridge and neck/middle positions. For an incredibly versatile guitar, use an SHR-1b in the bridge position along with an SVR-1n Vintage Rails in the middle and an SCR-1n Cool Rails in the neck.

guitars
For all well-balanced instruments. Works equally well with maple and rosewood fingerboards.

available mods
Choose white or black housing.

players
Janick Gers & Dave Murray / Iron Maiden, Troy VanLeeuwen & Josh Homme / Queens of the Stone Age, Greg Camp / Smashmouth, Jim Wilson / Rollins Band
Quote by satchgear
Seymour Duncan Hot Rail info..

application
High output single-coil-size "rails" humbucker. Great for classic rock, garage, punk, heavy rock, thrash, classic metal and nu-metal.

description
One of the highest output and most popular pickups we make. The two thin blades, strong ceramic magnet and powerful coil windings give you the incredible sustain and a fat, full sound that's needed for playing heavier rock music. This pickup responds to the subtlest finger movements. Comes with four-conductor hookup cable.

complete setup
Available for both bridge and neck/middle positions. For an incredibly versatile guitar, use an SHR-1b in the bridge position along with an SVR-1n Vintage Rails in the middle and an SCR-1n Cool Rails in the neck.

guitars
For all well-balanced instruments. Works equally well with maple and rosewood fingerboards.

available mods
Choose white or black housing.

players
Janick Gers & Dave Murray / Iron Maiden, Troy VanLeeuwen & Josh Homme / Queens of the Stone Age, Greg Camp / Smashmouth, Jim Wilson / Rollins Band

Yea thats that ebay link i gave you.

Im just not sure whether i want to get a new pickup, or a nice new conveniant tuner, since its hard not having a tuner and tuning by ear, especially live
You could get the pickup's he (probably) use, the Duncan Alnico II's. They come in single coil or humbucker.
are all you guys suggesting a hot rail in the neck serious?

CLEAR and SMOOTH tones out of it, the hot rail is neither clear or smooth. He has problems with mud in the neck with a single coil, the hot rail is the complete opposite direction from what he should be looking at.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by al112987
are all you guys suggesting a hot rail in the neck serious?

CLEAR and SMOOTH tones out of it, the hot rail is neither clear or smooth.

The cold rails is pretty smooth in the neck.
If he wants something like Slash's tone he's just going to have to go with a full sized alnico II humbucker. You're just never going to get the kind of dynamic response from a ceramic pickup that you get from an alnico II pickup.

Alnico IIs are warm and squishy, ceramics are stiff and edgy.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 13, 2009,