NAMM this year (I think), some company unveiled new tube technology. It was basically tubes made of metal, not glass, and in theory they could last forever and sounded exactly the same every time you power up. Can't for the life of me remember the company name etc. Any help tracking them down would be great, because it just seemed damn interesting.

Cheers in advance!
Carbon fiber, perhaps? It's non-conductive.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by binkythefurious
NAMM this year (I think), some company unveiled new tube technology. It was basically tubes made of metal, not glass, and in theory they could last forever and sounded exactly the same every time you power up. Can't for the life of me remember the company name etc. Any help tracking them down would be great, because it just seemed damn interesting.

Cheers in advance!

Impossible, metal shell or not. Its like saying that a metal lightbulb will last forever. The stuff inside them wont.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
^ Who cares? He just wants damn info on the company. He doesn't want theories about if it will work or not. I'll try and find it.
http://tonegrinder.com/

That what your looking for?

EDIT: I was dissapointed that they aren't power tubes because that would be insane. But pre-amp tubes like that are pretty cool anyway.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Aug 13, 2009,
thats quite interesting. i guess if you had the money it would be a nice idea. saves you from changing and degrading tubes. he has interested the lazy man in me.
Quote by unet
Yes but no feedback is not always a good thing!

Sounds cool though.

You are correct

But for me its a god send...

EDIT: Some more info I found...
Q Will there be ToneGrinder Power Tube devices?

A We are currently testing our ToneGrinder power tube

devices starting with the 6L6 and EL34.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 13, 2009,
I don't get it though, tubes work by burning ions off of a plate, and those ions are limited. How could anything overcome that limitation?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
nice.

So low noise, non degradable, non microphonic vacuum tubes?

A lot of people are going to like this.

The sheer saving on tubes (changing preamps once in 3 or 4 years and powers once every 2 years) should encourage a lot of people to get this.
Especially on amps they plan to keep long term.
Wow, looks really nice
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
They have made metal cases tubes before. There were military applications for them. They dont last longer internally they just have a non breakable outer shell.
Quote by Tackleberry
They have made metal cases tubes before. There were military applications for them. They dont last longer internally they just have a non breakable outer shell.

True. The Zvex nano uses military-spec tubes designed to go in ballistic missiles. A bit odd to see such tubes turn out to be quite musical, actually.
They're not tubes. They're $200 each and they're SS plugins to replace tubes.
Quote by Roc8995

So its only gonna cost me $1200 to get the tubes replaced in my 6505+ what a deal....

Well that sucks was hoping that would be my ace in the hole to shut this thing up so I dont have to spend upwards of grand to do so...
Quote by Roc8995

That's what I thought. The site says "as opposed to vacuum tubes" a lot.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by James13v
http://tonegrinder.com/

That what your looking for?

EDIT: I was dissapointed that they aren't power tubes because that would be insane. But pre-amp tubes like that are pretty cool anyway.

Aha! Thanks dude, you've saved me a lot of google hell.

Quote by Roc8995

Yes true but from memory they're completely analog and still respond to signal in much the same way as vacuum tubes. Time to dig deeper on that site.
Is nothing sacred anymore?

Why is everyone out to replace tubes with SS technology!? Not that SS is necessarily bad or anything and it does have its place in the world of amps, but people need to embrace both worlds and stop trying to eliminate real vacuum tubes.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Is nothing sacred anymore?

Why is everyone out to replace tubes with SS technology!? Not that SS is necessarily bad or anything and it does have its place in the world of amps, but people need to embrace both worlds and stop trying to eliminate real vacuum tubes.

I'm guessing they want to replace something which isn't very durable, wears out over time and to be honest is outdated technology with something that will last for a long time and won't break easily. Sounds good to me.

Although I won't be using them until the price goes down.
Quote by Lunchbox362
"Hi Sam,

Yes, it is an analog signal path through the device.

Thanks for your question.

Darryl"

----------------------------------

Well there you go, its not just a solid state plugin, otherwise she'd be all 0's and 1's.

So so far I've found out that it produces extra overtones and harmonics like a vacuum tube, is analog like a vacuum tube, isnt as fragile and is guaranteed to outlast the amps life....

Dont think im too worried about the price if its that good, but the old man in me says there has to be some sort of catch other than the cost.

Would love to hear from anybody who has actually played through an amp with these tubes in.
^^ just so you know solid state does not mean 1's and 0's. that is only when the signal is converted from analogue to digital. you can have plenty of solid state devices like diodes and transistors and still be analogue.
Quote by binkythefurious
Ooh ok, i did not know that.

Can that be stretched as far as a regular solid state amp having a completely analog signal path?

Yep solid state amps can have complrtrly analog signal paths.

Thing is nowadays, many solid state amps are digital modeling amps, leading to the misunderstanding that solid state = digital.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
Yep solid state amps can have complrtrly analog signal paths.

Thing is nowadays, many solid state amps are digital modeling amps, leading to the misunderstanding that solid state = digital.

Yeah, transistors still do better work then tubes, they ARE better then tubes in every catagory, even amplifiying, the thing they suck at is colouring tone and giving it life.
Transistors basically kill electrons inside them and this leads to boring and dull tone.

lol, thread wasnt even worth reading
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by stykerwolf
Yeah, transistors still do better work then tubes, they ARE better then tubes in every catagory, even amplifiying, the thing they suck at is colouring tone and giving it life.
Transistors basically kill electrons inside them and this leads to boring and dull tone.

They don't kill electrons they are actually more efficient then tubes. with tubes you get more harmonic overtones for reasons i can't explain.
and even if these SS replacements sound as good as actual tubes, they are fvckin expensive. i wouldnt retube an amp for $200 each tube
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

pedals are stupid
Quote by Regensgeliebte
and even if these SS replacements sound as good as actual tubes, they are fvckin expensive. i wouldnt retube an amp for $200 each tube

but how many tubes are you going to buy in your lifetime. the point is that you are saving all that money that you would have spent on buying tubes and so in the long run you are actually saving money.
Quote by joe_k
but how many tubes are you going to buy in your lifetime. the point is that you are saving all that money that you would have spent on buying tubes and so in the long run you are actually saving money.

Eh, you can get a 12ax7 for 10 dollars. That means you get 20 tubes for the price of one of those. That's 20-40 years, isn't it?
Quote by Lunchbox362

i dont want to play with the only amp for the whole lifetime
cheapness of tubes allows to retube lets say every 2 years and get different tones, thus experimenting

pedals are stupid
This has brought up a question about what will happen in the future...

Let's say tubes do become outdated and amp companies stop making tube amps and make only SS amps... What's going to happen to that orgasmic tube overdrive that many of us have come to know and love? I mean, will we be able to get solid states to break up like we can get tube amps to do, or is that gonna be lost forever?

Just thinking about it makes me wanna cry
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
This has brought up a question about what will happen in the future...

Let's say tubes do become outdated and amp companies stop making tube amps and make only SS amps... What's going to happen to that orgasmic tube overdrive that many of us have come to know and love? I mean, will we be able to get solid states to break up like we can get tube amps to do, or is that gonna be lost forever?

Just thinking about it makes me wanna cry

Tubes are actually making a come back from what I researched... Hell you can even get tube ipod docks now a days. So I doubt its gonna happen anytime soon. As for the future, I see a mixture of new SS components and insane Modeling becoming the wave of the future. These tubes are atleast a step in the right direction when it comes to a new concept then can carry over to SS amps.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Tubes are actually making a come back from what I researched... Hell you can even get tube ipod docks now a days. So I doubt its gonna happen anytime soon. As for the future, I see a mixture of new SS components and insane Modeling becoming the wave of the future. These tubes are atleast a step in the right direction when it comes to a new concept then can carry over to SS amps.

Ya, SS will never overtake tube, unless it gets so good that 99.9% of us can't tell the difference. Tubes are needed for the sound guitarists want, so they will continue to be produced. I think modeling will eventually become so good and cheap that we don't need tubes though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!