So, I really love the good ol' Duncan JB in strat style/SG's, but how do they sound in an LP? Some people swear by it, others say it's muddy? What do you guys think?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
low end is too muddy and undefined, top end is a little bit harsh in a maple capped guitar.
I agree that the low end can be a bit muddy because of the excessive mids, but overall it's a good high-output pickup.
I think the pickups in a LP have such good tone I wouldn't replace them anyway.
Quote by whencowsfart101
I agree that the low end can be a bit muddy because of the excessive mids, but overall it's a good high-output pickup.
I think the pickups in a LP have such good tone I wouldn't replace them anyway.
This really depends on what pickups you're talking about. Les pauls have come with several different types of pickups over the years that all sound different.

dcdossett, what kind of sound are you looking for? I assume that your les paul has the 490r/498t set that came stock?
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 13, 2009,
Yeah it has the 490/498 combo. Basically, I want something with a tad higher output, but not a metal pickup. Also, more clarity and edge.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by al112987
$$$?

I'd like to keep it under $150 per pup.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Well... you're in Seattle, you should definitely check out Wolfe Macleod's pickups. He does great work and his humbuckers have consistently gotten great reviews on the LPF over the past 5 years or so.

http://wolfetone.com/

He's currently having a 20% off sale to try to stimulate sales which really makes his stuff a great value as far as boutique pickups go. He's mostly known for his PAF style winds but he'll do just about anything and has several high output options as well, I've been discussing a wind which I'm currently having him do for me.

Also, look at Jim Wagner's WCR Fillmore pickup, I have these in my guitar currently, they're more expensive than the Wolfetones but still fit in your budget. These should also work great for what you're looking for, slightly hotter than 490/498 but with about 10x more clarity and character.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore.html
^ Hand wound pickups are freakin' awesome most of the time. My friend has a set from a local hand winder and they sound great, plus they were wound to his personal specs.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R