Hi all, I've got the following gear:

Pacifica 112v, Epiphone Les Paul, Vox Tonelab ST, and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I'm currently learning to play guitar, and my tutor has started me on Blues. So I'm learning licks, and the usual scales that come with it. But no matter what I set my Vox to, I just cannot get that real cool clapton-esque blues sound. Now I do know that a lot of it will be down to his pickups, and his amps.

So can anyone suggest what settings I need to be setting my gear up to, OR maybe suggest an array of effects pedals would need (I am tinkering with the idea of making a floorboard).

Many thanks for your help
a digitech screamin' blues, also, single coil pickups (like in a strat)
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Ummm I'd say remove the effects and use the amp's natural OD for that. Use the neck pickup of the Yamaha. Crank that shiz and go crazy. Most of it's in your fingers, anyway.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Take out the Tonelab, switch to the neck pickup of your Pacifica, add a little bit of gain, and tweak the settings to your liking.
Quote by rocknroll93
a digitech screamin' blues, also, single coil pickups (like in a strat)

So your saying when I use my pickups on my Pacifica, I need to throw the pickup switch towards the mid/neck pickups?
For best blues results, throw the pickup switch all the way towards the headstock. If you can't tell which pickup is on, tap them with a screwdriver or a penny or something and you'll be able to tell that way. The neck is the best, and sometimes mixing in the middle doesn't hurt either.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Apologies to QOTSA and Sid, I posted just before you got in. But thanks for confirming what I said, greatly appreciated
What are the tone knob(s) and volume knob set at on your guitar?

I get closer to blues tones by setting all the amp knobs at 5 (except volume- depends on how loud you need it) and the same on the guitar and work from there...

A little more treble on the amp, a little less tone on the guitar, then work the gain on the amp in tandem with the guitar volume... that gets me closer...
Your guitars and amp are fine for blues. You should have no trouble finding a good clean tone, but the overdrive channel on your amp is lacking, IMO, so I would get a good overdrive pedal, depending on your budget.

On a very tight budget, a Digitech Bad Monkey would do the trick, but there are as many overdrive pedals to choose from as there are stars in the sky.

And as mentioned, using the neck pickup will help.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
That's a pretty nice rig to be learning on. Take the Tonelab out of the equation for some more natural sounding results in terms of tone.
If you're talking about Clapton's woman tone, use the Epi, select both p/ups, and roll the tone all the way down, and the bridge volume to about 6. Bearing in mind that Clapton got that sound on a Marshall stack, not a Fender combo, but you should come close.
you don't need any effects for Blues. just an amp and a guitar. you may need an OD, ut i recommend staying away from most pedals with "blues" written on them. the bad monkey, IMO, is overrated.

look into the OD pedals by Danelectro or the Screaming Bird by EHX, if you really feel that you need a pedal.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Your guitars and amp are fine for blues. You should have no trouble finding a good clean tone, but the overdrive channel on your amp is lacking, IMO, so I would get a good overdrive pedal, depending on your budget.

On a very tight budget, a Digitech Bad Monkey would do the trick, but there are as many overdrive pedals to choose from as there are stars in the sky.

And as mentioned, using the neck pickup will help.

For Hard Rock and Metal, the HRD is lacking, I agree...

But for blues it does very well, I use the "drive" (not "more drive") with gain around 4-6 and it sounds great. Gain settings higher than that and you lose a bit of the sweetness.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
You should be able to get a killer blues tone with that amp and guitar. If you Want or need a pedal whats your budget.
Quote by greenwgreg
For Hard Rock and Metal, the HRD is lacking, I agree...

But for blues it does very well, I use the "drive" (not "more drive") with gain around 4-6 and it sounds great. Gain settings higher than that and you lose a bit of the sweetness.

To each his own, I guess. I couldn't get the drive channel to sound right for a blues breakup.

Either way, this thread is 4 months old, so I doubt the TS needs help anymore
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
For a Clapton blues sound I would use your les paul and get a ZVex box of rock and run that in front of your hot rod deluxe.