Since I'm still not experienced, I want to know what are your opinions about the low end Cort guitars? Do you get what you pay for, or are they overpriced and etc?
i haven't played them myself, but coming out of south korea you should definitely make sure you play it first. my experiences with guitars out of korea has been great (i had a PRS SE Soapbar II that couldn't have played nicer) but just something to keep in mind. i think it really depends on what you call a cheap guitar. which model or models were you looking around at?
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i haven't played them myself, but coming out of south korea you should definitely make sure you play it first. my experiences with guitars out of korea has been great (i had a PRS SE Soapbar II that couldn't have played nicer) but just something to keep in mind. i think it really depends on what you call a cheap guitar. which model or models were you looking around at?

The Cort X-6 got my attention http://www.cort.co.kr/english/products/common/view.asp?product_id=131 . Well I'll definitely try them out sure, but like i said, I'm still not experienced.

Also in case someone didn't understand the question, i saw people on UG say it like this. Are low end Cort guitars a good bang for the bucks? ( i think that's how it's said )
awesome.

my cort was about 160 and my brother prefers it to his mexican fender tele
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Also sorry for the off-topic, but since this is a bit related to Cort guitars, I'll ask.

If i don't use a Whammy, i can remove it right?

EDIT: Also, again concerning whammy's. If the guitar has a floyd rose, how do i palm mute without altering the pitch?
Last edited by Shinami at Aug 13, 2009,
The ones I have tried have all been remarkably good. Now, its hard to compare a Cort Super Strat type with an Epi LP or SG (my only local store stock Cort, Squier, Epi and Gibson) but the feel and attention to detail have made an impression on me. By comparison, the Epis took me back to the bad old days of cheap knock-offs and didn't inspire any confidence that they could be much improved with a good setup. The Squier's feel exactly like the £75 Encore and that is their market, trading on the Fender name. They are not a guitar for a serious player.
So to answer your question, they are not overpriced and I would regard them as about the best value in the lower price ranges.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

you can remove the whammy bar so its not in your way. but that guitar you posted the link for has a floating tremolo, so you wouldn't be able to change tunings very easily. not very easily is an understatement if you haven't had a floating bridge before.

the upside is a floating bridge will give you tons of tuning stability once you know how to use it

EDIT: and palm muting is pretty easy with a floating bridge. just don't press down TOO hard. they aren't ridiculously sensitive. your hand will go more over the saddles than the strings. unlike on a hardtail guitar.

i'm kind of rambling about this, but once you pick up a guitar with a floating bridge it's much simpler than i'm making it sound
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
you can remove the whammy bar so its not in your way. but that guitar you posted the link for has a floating tremolo, so you wouldn't be able to change tunings very easily. not very easily is an understatement if you haven't had a floating bridge before.

the upside is a floating bridge will give you tons of tuning stability once you know how to use it

EDIT: and palm muting is pretty easy with a floating bridge. just don't press down TOO hard. they aren't ridiculously sensitive. your hand will go more over the saddles than the strings. unlike on a hardtail guitar.

i'm kind of rambling about this, but once you pick up a guitar with a floating bridge it's much simpler than i'm making it sound

Thank you for the info. Guess i shouldn't fear the almighty floating bridge
Quote by Shinami
Guess i shouldn't fear the almighty floating bridge

Just coming back since you mentioned the X-6. No fear on the whammy. They are among the best LFRs around. Sure, they still take an age to set up (mine took me 3 hours) but worth it. Plus, in that model you have a vast range of sounds from the HSH pickup arrangement with twin coil taps. Are you looking at the Maple or Rosewood fretboard? I don't usually like Maple but against the Pearl White it looks mighty.

Also, Corts come from the factory with better quality control than most brands. I would happily buy one online again. The only problem I have come across is a couple of people found the factory setup a bit low with a bit of fret buzz off the lower frets but very simply corrected.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Cort make some very, very impressive guitars, especially the Zenox series- I even liked the low-end one!
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have a Cort G254 and fully agree with Lurcher. Cort represents the best value for money in the lower-to-mid price range. There are some reasons for this:

- Cort produces their guitars on their own factories and sells them directly under their brand name. They don't have to contract other factories for production, like Fender(Squier) or Gibson(Epiphone) or Ibanez, adding another middleman and increasing these brands street prices. Incidentally Cort produces guitars for most of these brands. Many people are playing Cort guitars without knowing

- Instead of simply reproducing the standard outdated design like many "budget" brands, Cort guitars include many innovations like contoured neck joints, belly cuts on LP shaped guitars, thinner necks and better hardware for the price: Wilkinson bridges, locking tuners, graphite nuts. This makes them better value, but also makes them different than the "holy" standards and we all know that guitarists are typically close minded traditionalists averse to change.

- They don't invest much on advertising or have big name endorsees which makes the brand seem rather obscure to the large crowd.

- The last point is common to all the Asian brands: The cryptic naming of the models, like G254, X6, etc... reveals weak marketing skills. It's much more glamorous and cool to say you have a Stratocaster or a Les Paul than a GX562346XY...

Having said all this, it's obvious that in the lower ranges the QC is always going to be hit and miss in whatever brand and model and you should always try before buying.

Here is a great review of a Cort guitar:
http://www.ratcliffe.co.za/reviews/gvt.shtml

disclaimer: No, I don't work for Cort and I'm not a fanboi of the brand... there are obviously better guitars. I'm just a satisfied costumer. For the record, my dream guitar is an Ibanez S5470F
Cort G254
Software Amp Modeler
Last edited by DavePT at Aug 13, 2009,
Had an X6 now for about 6 years. It was my 2nd guitar after my initial Yamaha starter kit. Still using it now alongside my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Nice to play, sounds good. I'd happily buy another Cort.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top, Blue)
Cort X6
Ibanez Gio 7 string

Marshall MG50DFX (needs to go!)
I've read some very favourable reviews of the X6, never tried one thought
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
I have the X-2 and I can safely and surely say that they are one of the highest quality guitars you can get for the money. Forget Squier, Epiphone, and all those other crappy brands. They sacrifice quality for value, which is definitely not the case with Cort. It stays in tune great (looks like a graphite nut), and everything on it actually STAYS there, unlike many Epiphones/Squiers I have played. It's made in Indonesia as well, but don't let that turn you off.
Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal
Really cheap electronics. Everything wants to fall apart. Besides that, they are alright. Unless my friend's is just a lemon.
Last edited by danohat at Aug 13, 2009,
I own 3 Cort guitars atm:

-Cort X-6: my first guitar, the finish is amazing, the neck is brootalz, 24 jumbo frets, double locking tremolo bridge (like FR, but its Cort's FR), 6 string. The thing i would change - the pickups, specially the strat one

-Cort EVL Z4: Weapons of metal? no wonder cort added this nickname to the EVL series, comming with active EMG pups, i wouldnt consider this serie as a low end one, but as a mid-end one. Defenatily worth the money i spend on it

-Cort VX2V: Powerful, beautiful, modest, amazing,... there arent enough words to describe this guitar. it has become my main axe. Thin solid neck, rosewood scale, EMGHZ passive pups, LICENSED CORT FLOYD ROSE!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, Cort makes really good guitars, and this brand shouldnt be considered as a low-end guitar/bass brand
Quote by Shinami
Since I'm still not experienced, I want to know what are your opinions about the low end Cort guitars? Do you get what you pay for, or are they overpriced and etc?

I went to a shop recently that had a good number of cort guitars. And a few others like jackson, a fender mexican standard, a low end schecter and play many other guitars besides them at other shops.

This is what I basically say on it.

Cort Hollowbody (idk the model exactly) - sounded great, warm, full, and i could even do decent metal on it. It felt great too and the bigsby style trim was nice as hell. Felt good. I was very impressed

Cort 260 (fat strat copy) - I loved this guitar. They had one that was made out of basswood for $150, then one that was like $350 or so for locking tuners, ash body, ect. I played both played great, love the pickups! They are just very hot and extremely I mean EXTREMELY clear w/ high gain running through a marshall AVT amp. I played guitars with duncans, emg's, guitar branded pickups. Mighty Mite really knows how to make parts well so the pickups were extremely nice. Trem bar wasn't in it so i cant tell you about if the trem was worth anything.

Cort EVL's - This thing was right next to a schecter diamond series guitar. They were freaking identical to me. But to me the cort played better and stayed in tune better. I dont own it so i cant say about if its good outa the shop. But sound wise it was great but i still prefer the 260 for shred.

Thats about all I have played of Cort guitars. They are extremely nice for the price, or any price really. I got my guitar student I just got to go get the one that was $150, I know he'll do great on it because the neck is nice. Its not like a first act which is a POS and the neck is virtually unplayable.

Thats what held me back in the early days was a really garbage first act guitar, then i played a squier affinity that i own now (bought it for 40 bucks just to have it) and I was able to do bar chords and all that easily. So I know thats off topic but a good neck can really help your learning.
My cousin has a Cort X-2 and it's terrible. Pickups look and feel like they're about to fall out, and sound really bad. It also doesn't hold tune very long. Maybe he just got a really bad one but it just doesn't feel like a solid guitar.

EDIT: Mind you, he also had a s*** amp, so that might explain the sound.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Oct 21, 2009,
Uh... i didn´t play a cort once, but my Ibanezes (Electric and the Acoustic) and i just found out that they come from Cort Factories.

My Conclusion:
Cheaper, but no fancy brandname and about as good as other brands.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
some their models are hit, some of them are miss

i HIGHLY recommend you HBS-II and G series, very very stratty but versatile as well. I own an HBS-II. And you know what? For 350 dollars I liked it a tad more than MIM strat. It got close to MIA in terms of sound, but not in attention to detail (it could have had better fretwork and better set-up from factory)
HBS-II is 350 bucks here

M series seemed to have good craftmanship, but pickups just beg to be changed
don't know about others
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Is the HBS-II the one with the birdseye maple fretboard? If it is, a small guitar shop here is selling one for 555€ that's 832$ US
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
They are epic
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Is the HBS-II the one with the birdseye maple fretboard? If it is, a small guitar shop here is selling one for 555€ that's 832$ US

yes it is
wow
you can buy it for 330-370 bucks in any Ukrainian shop
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
I`d rather get an X-5 just for the sake of tuning stability. As far as Cort guitar goes, I found the neck on my X-2 to be way more comfy, than neck on my jem. Seriously, it is so comfortable, that I wanted to upgrade the hell of X-2, and I am quite positive I`d play that guitar more than these Jems I have, if I did that.
they're really good, I've got a Cort Z42 and its great, well set up and sounds great . I'd definately recommend one.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa