So i recently got my Schecter C-1 FR Blackjack ATX, and its a beautiful guitar, but atm, I am playing on a Spider III, so it really doesn't do the guitar any justice at all. I play alot of Hard Rock and maybe some Metal. My band i guess could be described as The Foo Fighters, Rise Against, and Stone Sour in a blender. (Quite a combo I know)

I was looking at the Peavey Valveking, whether it be the combo or half stack. Is that the amp i am looking for? And would it compliment my new Schecter?
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
You'll probably find that UG will say that ANYTHING is an upgrade from your spider.

Well, almost anything. I bought a 100w Frontman for dirt cheap as an upgrade, I like it better, but anyway....

Ive played a VK once at my local Music shop when I was demo-ing a few pedals. I was impressed. I'm sure the combo would do you fine, unless you started gigging in venues of 300+, even then, a good PA mic would do you fine on a combo.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Yeah, the Spider isn't 100% garbage, but its certainly not good for gigging. Maybe practicing in your bedroom by yourself, but its not even good for practicing with other people :S lol

I don't NEED the halfstack, i definitely want one though just so i can say i have one
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
one of the best value tube amps you'll find is the valveking. i am getting one as soon as i get the money, it would compliment your guitar very well and if you want to get amazing tone out of it i would buy a maxon, MXR, or Ibanez overdrive to really push your tubes and get some great tones.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Alright, cool. Thanks for the input
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by Knightmare444
Yeah, the Spider isn't 100% garbage, but its certainly not good for gigging. Maybe practicing in your bedroom by yourself, but its not even good for practicing with other people :S lol

I don't NEED the halfstack, i definitely want one though just so i can say i have one

No offense, I dunno bout that. I use the Spider in the Garage during rehersals when I dont want to lug the FM stack around. It does fine. (we do use a small bass amp and electronic drums, so were never that loud. Im sure thats the kicker)

+10 on the NO GIGGING with it though. I did two shows with it and that was two too many. The VK should be great.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
My uncles owns like 15 acres of land out in the country area of Western New York, and we were out there for 4th of july this past month, and he invited like 100+ family and friends. I was able to convince him to let my band play for everyone, so we could get a name out there (you know, word of mouth type deal). Well, my Spider is the biggest amp i have, so i used that, and it was terrible. I am the lead in my band, and my spider sounded like ****, while our rhythm guitarist was using a DSL100. It was terrible.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Quote by iceh88
one of the best value tube amps you'll find is the valveking. i am getting one as soon as i get the money, it would compliment your guitar very well and if you want to get amazing tone out of it i would buy a maxon, MXR, or Ibanez overdrive to really push your tubes and get some great tones.

First off... valves and tubes are the same thing. Second the valveking is a nice amp but it doesn't even compete with mesa's, oranges, Dr. Z, etc.

To the TS: The valveking is a nice choice for what you want, just don't expect a lot from the clean channel. Though you can get a decent speaker (or cab, if you go for the head) and it will really bring it out.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I used to own a VK112. It wasn't mind-blowingly good (and I got mine cheap). I've read that with a bunch of extra money spent on tubes and speaker swaps you end up with something decent sounding. Though, for the same money as all that you could probably still find something better.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I used to own a VK112. It wasn't mind-blowingly good (and I got mine cheap). I've read that with a bunch of extra money spent on tubes and speaker swaps you end up with something decent sounding. Though, for the same money as all that you could probably still find something better.

+100
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Hard rock with a speaker swap is possible, but you'd have to invest in an OD pedal and/or EQ and/or new tubes to get into metal territory. That's my opinion anyway, and contrary to most people's opinion i actually like the clean channel.

By the time you've done all the other upgrades you could have bought a better amp for less money, like ch0 said. I don't really know what to recommend from my own opinion, but most people would probably say to look at the B-52 AT 112.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Second the valveking is a nice amp but it doesn't even compete with mesa's, oranges, Dr. Z, etc.

No kidding. The VK is also half the price.
The Valveking is a nice loud tube amp that's pretty cheap, and it will suit the styles of music you play. Failing a Valveking, I suppose you could look into some Blackstars or an Orange, but be prepared to pay a lot more.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Just get a B-52 AT112.

The used VK + upgrades is the route I took, and I can get some great tones, but the metal tone is still lacking and will until I do the electronics mods.
But, as you aren't playing metal only, you can find a VK for under $250, buy the speaker, and get an OD/EQ and you should be good.
Try both amps out, and see which you like better... decide from there.

But, whatever you do, don't buy the VK new.
Well I dont really play enough metal to justify doing any upgrades or anything. And the reason i was looking at the VK was because its a tube amp, and its pretty cheap. Oranges are expensive, and I looked into the B52, but i heard it was a solid state, and i prefer tubes.
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
The B-52 AT112 (and AT212, and AT100) is tube. The LS100 is solid state.

At any rate, a used Valveking would probably be the way to go.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
First off... valves and tubes are the same thing.

He said Value tube amp, not Valve tube amp.

And I have to say I love my Valveking 212 and can get a wide range of tones from it. Yeah, to get the best out of it definitely get an EQ and an overdrive pedal but I think those are things you're going to want with any amps. Also I think the cleans are pretty good on it especially if you have a chorus and maybe a slight delay to throw in front of it.
Quote by Jason43
No kidding. The VK is also half the price.

+1

and a 1/3 - 1/4 of the cost in most cases.....

The VK does rock pretty decently and the clean channel is pretty nice as well. The clean channel was modelled after a fender circuit but of coarse it is alot darker. And the gain channels has a decent crunch but you really need to get some brighter tubes in there if thats your thing. As for high gain its mediocre at best the gain boost just adds in a diode clipping section and to get past that you have to really crank the amp which intells ruins your metal tone with power tube saturation.

The amp is a good starter amp but it is a bit flat and doesnt really have a flavor or spark so it takes alot of coaching to get it there.

Honestly theres alot better amps on the market and a tone more used.. Just my .02 added to the mix.
What other amps would you recommend?
Quote by Aurex

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War