Morning guys

I've been after one of these for ages and when I saw i on the 'Bay I managed to win it for £255, but i'm having doubts as to how genuine it is...

link:

epiphone Les paul Custom silverburst

Most of it looks about right, but the serial number is blanked so I can't date it...

More suspicions arose when the seller doesn't accept Paypal, so after mailing him to ask how i could pay him, this was the reply:

hi,thanks for your information.
if you don't mind,you can choice pay into my bank account.or,you can send a cheque to me.but I have waiting for cheque clear,then post item to you.that would be take few working days.
But,nothing to worry about that, somebody paid cash is well.so,just one thing I can promise:I am a seller,The seller must fulfill his responsibility!!!
once thanks again for your messeage!

- jkpp2009

EDIT:

More digging into his feedback profile and I find this:

3 more silverburst LPs... Limited edition ?
3 Zakk Wylde Customs... Commonly Faked?
4 More assorted Epi LPs

How dodgy do we reckon this is?

Cheers all

R.M
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Last edited by Rolling_man at Aug 13, 2009,
either that or hes covering it to protect from someone else reusing it whilst actually sellign a fake
iv seen this before

not much point faking epiphones it looks legit and he has 100% feedback
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
he said that EE080103237 was the serial number on the very bottom of the page.
Dunno if you missed it.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
Looks real to me.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
The seller has all positive reviews and the guitar seems to me to be genuine. With the paying thing they probably just wanna make sure they don't get screwed over. And the Paypal thing is no big. It would never work for me so if I sell anything I can't do it through Paypal.

Anyways, hope it all works out and you get yourself a beauty of a guitar.
I like the way they've deliberately obscured the serial number...

Okay, I'm very cynical about eBay, but "Genuine, but fell of the back of a lorry" springs to mind. Might be worth asking him where he gets all his guitars from.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
There's nothing on that guitar that blatantly screams "FAKE!!", so I would take it up with the Epiphone forum at MLP for more details. Judging by the e-mail you recieved, the guy doesn't seem to know English very well. This wouldn't be suspicious if he lived in a European country, but it rings a bell here....

Either it's a really good copy, or else someone just wants to get rid of it.

EDIT: Λ What that guy said.
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Last edited by Zooropean11 at Aug 13, 2009,
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

There ya go

Crap sorry. Guess you can't direct link to the info. Anyways

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China
January 2008
Production Number: 03237

Gibson: Qingdao

The Gibson Qingdao Plant was opened in October 2002, Qingdao, China. It is the only plant run by Epiphone in Asia.Both acoustic and electric guitars are made here. The factory is dedicated to making Epiphone and only Epiphone guitars with the aim of producing higher quality guitars.
Last edited by i_killed_bill at Aug 13, 2009,
That's a real Epiphone Silverburst on the pics... i know, i own one.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Now I've had a gander through the other Silverburst Les Pauls he's sold, 3 of them use identical pictures etc in the description, and arent the silverburst customs limited edition?

Maybe I'm just paranoid as it's my first ebay buy, but I thought it'd be worth having a dig aroundm see what I can find
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Last edited by Rolling_man at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Rolling_man
Now I've had a gander through the other Silverburst Les Pauls he's sold, 3 of them use identical pictures etc in the description, and arent the silverburst customs limited edition?

Maybe I'm just paranoid as it's my first ebay buy, but I thought it'd be worth having a dig aroundm see what I can find

maybe hes just lazey and posted diff serial nums at the bottom each

id say
its not fake
but hes got it in a not exactly legal way
i say go for it
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
If your not confident don't take the risk.
Ask him where he gets his guitars from.
And only buy paypal because you have free insurance that way,
or COD of course

i wouldn't risk it
. plus i hear Chinese Epiphones are crap anyway.
I love white guitars!
The english in the article is good,but when he replies his grammar is pretty dodgy.something sus about that?
I'd probably stear clear of it.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Says in the listing he takes paypal. But then after you win he says he doesnt? The serial number blank out is usually done so someone else cant cut and paste it onto their picture and use the number again. He did provide the serial number in the listing. As he is saying there really isnt any protection for the buyer except his good feedback it up to you if you want to risk it. And his listing does say NO RETURNS. So you wouldnt have much recourse if he sent you a different guitar, damaged/used guitar or a knock off.
I think you guys are digging abit deep into it tbh
But if youve already won the auction, why are you asking now?:P
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3
when the guy wants a check and cant type plain english, it's more than likely a scam, i wouldnt sent him any money at all. i've been scammed before because the people selling just wanted cash or a check. i wouldnt in my opinion.
To me, it does look real. The guys got a decent seller rating as well, which is good, and the people say they got everything okay.

Ask if you can pick it up if you can, if you really want to be sure. But if not, it's probs gonna be real anyways.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
It looks legit, he has a lot of positive feedback from other buyers of his guitars. Im also willing to bet that he may be a immigrant from china who has family shipping him guitars.
No silverburst aren't really that limited, epiphone has been selling them for awhile and alot of people have them. To me it looks real.
looks legit. good luck
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Ian hawkins
The english in the article is good,but when he replies his grammar is pretty dodgy.something sus about that?
I'd probably stear clear of it.

Could be the guy that wrote the email works for a shop, and the guy that wrote the auction is a different guy that speaks English better. I know you'd get two different ideas about how good of a store we are, depending on who answered the phone.

Could be fine. The guitar isn't really 'limited edition' though, so don't get weirded out that he has a bunch. Most Epis are 'limited' to what they can sell in the 1-3 years they're in production. Technically the Chameleon LP Studio was limited, but we got as many as we asked for without a problem.
FAKE

side by side comparison, fake on the left, real on the right:

look at the distance from the logo to the top of the headstock and placement of the dot over the 'i' in 'Epiphone'. also the headstock is so narrow that the washers are too close to the inlay and almost touch the binding.

don't trust a serial number just because it matches a database, they looked one up and copied it too.

these things are rampant not only in china but also the uk and australia so just because a seller sold a bunch of them with impunity just means he has successfully set up shop in the right market.
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
also in reference to those pictures sneakerpimp posted, the font that says CUSTOM seems to have more spacing in the fake with the letters closer together in the real one and the M less narrow in the real one. Maybe that's just me though.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.