I've just changed my own strings for the first time. I have an HSS Standard Strat. Just by looking at the guitar I thought it was obvious how to do the re-string but just in case, I watched a series of videos on YouTube showing all the steps (including various set-up items that I didn't fiddle with).

After I had it tuned up I noticed the bridge was pulled way up, almost in the full locked position. This confused me.

I didn't think too much of it at the time but I was given some Gibson Les Paul strings to try. Were these strings a different guage than what was stock on my guitar? Is that the problem?

The strings I used had the following specs:

Ultra Light .009 .011 .016 .024w .032w .042w

Should I use a different set of strings? I'd happen to have bought some at the same time as these were given to me so it's not like I'd be out any money...

Oh, I wasn't unhappy with my stock Fender strings. Maybe I should just buy more of those. I was more interested in trying something different just to see.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Aug 13, 2009,
Ive done this with my jackson dk2s before.....if i remember...yes its been years since i had it....try to loosen the strings n see if it comes down then try retuning it....with my jackson i did like one string at a time n tuned as i went and it seemed to solve any problems.
Quote by kramer242
Ive done this with my jackson dk2s before.....if i remember...yes its been years since i had it....try to loosen the strings n see if it comes down then try retuning it....with my jackson i did like one string at a time n tuned as i went and it seemed to solve any problems.

I've tried doing that a couple times. If I de-tune it the trem comes down just fine and floats. But as soon as I tune the thing it just pulls the trem up, up, up. Maybe I should tighten the screws that hold the springs in the back?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
i had this once in my fender. i even used the same gauge string. open the back panel. there should be 3 springs. strats have a tendency to only have 2. especially if its a squire. the guitar should have come with another replacement spring. just put that in there with the tool that also should have come with your guitar. if u dont have these, talk to any salesman in a guitar store and they can get it for u.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
i wish you luck...been a long time since i had a guitar wit tremolo so im just trying to go on memory, but my memory is not so good lol
Haha, well thanks Kramer. I hear you about the memory.

AJ, my Strat has 3 springs. I'll look to see if I have another in the kit that came with it but I don't recall one.

Maybe I'll just try the same guage strings first...

GRRRRRR!!!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
It sounds like the guitar came with 8s on it, but I've never seen that... Open the back panel like ajreciever said, if it's pulled up that far then tightening the springs already there probably won't be enough, but you may want to try it. To add another spring, you don't need a special tool, you can just use pliers. Needlenose work best.
a fourth spring might be the trick.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
On second thought, are you sure you didn't somehow get a set of 10s or 11s in the wrong box?
It's possible. The low E looks/feels fat to me, but the high E/A strings feel smaller. The box specifically said the higher strings were smaller for more bend, while the lower strings were larger. And actually, the numbers I quoted above were incorrect.

The legendary Les Paul worked with us to develop the string set that proudly bears his name! With pure nickel wrap for a classic warm tone, Les Paul Signature strings come in his preferred gauge which is lighter on the treble side for easier bending, heavier on the bass side for more volume during chord work. These strings give your guitar a rich, powerful voice.

Style: Les Paul Signature

Model No.: SEG-LPS

Gauge: Signature Gauge

String 1: E - .009

String 2: B - .011

String 3: G - .016

String 4: D - .026w

String 5: A - .036w

String 6: E - .046w

Here's a link to the page: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Strings/Legendary%20Series/Les%20Paul/

I'm leaning more and more to the idea these were intended for a fixed bridge guitar.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
just need to adjust(tighten the screws on the claw) the springs in the trem cavity to bring the bridge level.only turn a 1/4 of a turn at a time.... and retune after each 1/4 turn on both screws
Okay, I'll try that. I assume I should de-tune, do a 1/4 turn and then re-tune, right?
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
i normally don`t choice is yours though, the guitar will go uut of tune as your making the adjustment anyway and having extra slack in the strings won`t interfere with the procedure(don`t detune too much if you decide to) you might have to repeat the procedure a few times to get it right(level)
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 13, 2009,
Is it a Floyd Rose Tremolo? If so, do this - tune the strings to e standard (EADGBE), and then tune them 1 step below it (DGCFAD), then tighten the screws in your bridge cavity, until the bridge is paralel to the body. Then, just lock the nut, and use the fine tuners to adjust the tuning
No, it's not a Floyd Rose, it's Fender's Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo.

And from what I can tell (this is the 2009 info, couldn't find 2008's info) these are the strings that come standard:

Gauges: .009, .011, .016, .024w, .032w, .042w

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0733250-LIST

That at least explains why this is happening. The 3 thickest strings are larger...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I'm pretty sure that Les Paul strings are .010s. .009s would be sort of floppy on a short scale guitar like the LP. If your neck is bowed inward, it means that the strings are probably heavier than what came stock on your guitar. You should probably just buy some standard Strat strings or have it properly set-up. They'll put new strings on the guitar and your bridge will probably be returned to normal.

If it's only your bridge, try to tighten the screws where the springs are (to increase tension) until the bridge returns to its proper position.
Yeah, I decided not to muck around with changing the set up. That's a bit much when all I wanted to do was have some new strings on it.

I removed those and put on some Blue Steel Dean Markley 9-42 strings (which match what was on my Strat when I got it). It tuned up easily, the trem is floating nicely and it was easy as pie.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native