Ok, recently I've been writing some music, mainly on guitarpro, but listening back on it, I've realised that one of my riffs is kinda similar to one made by one of my favourite bands. Fortunately it's not the primary riff of the song or anything, but it's a progressive song, and the riff is kinda nice and adds a nice touch to that particular part of the song.

My question is, where do you draw the line in the similarity of what you're writing to stuff already written? Is there a rule of thumb or anything in similarity of music? I don't exactly wanna become the next Coldplay...
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Last edited by urf_ at Aug 13, 2009,
Well. DON'T copy big bands that have lots of money. Copy small bands who can't do anything about it.

Edit: or listen to the guy below me. Much better advice.
Carlos! Not at the table!

Quote by TSmitty6
funniest part of the show for me: everyone yells SLAYER, all the time. so this one dude goes up to the esspresso stand and yells LATTE!!!!!!! and the lady spilled the drink all over the customer.
Last edited by pantericadeth at Aug 13, 2009,
Is it in the same key? Is it the main riff of the song? Is the song in the same genre? Same tempo? etc... If its directly copy/pasted then you probably shouldnt but if it was accidental and is slightly different and there are other riffs then you should be sweet
Come on Skeeter, he don't mean no harm
Quote by Flamingmonkey
Is it in the same key? Is it the main riff of the song? Is the song in the same genre? Same tempo? etc... If its directly copy/pasted then you probably shouldnt but if it was accidental and is slightly different and there are other riffs then you should be sweet

It is the same key and genre, but it is slightly different, not exactly the same, different tempo. It just kinda starts off with the same chords and playing style as the original. It wasn't done intentionally, but this band is definitely my primary influence in my song writing, so it's not like I hadn't listened to it before.

It's not at all the main riff of the song, it's just played through a few times, but the song is pretty progressive, so I don't dwell on it too much.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
ok well if you play the original then your song then do they sound similar? if not then you will be alg, i mean sometimes i hear songs where riffs are similar, like the opening riff in OtherWorld on FFX is very similar to the bridge-ending riff on The Drowning by The Haunted
Come on Skeeter, he don't mean no harm
Yeah I guess it's not as bad as I originally thought when put in context. If I listen to the two riffs one after the other, there's a very obvious similarity, but I think they're different enough that it shouldn't come off too badly. The tempo, and backup music, are different enough that it should work out fine.

Thanks heaps man!
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Would it be possible to post the song and tell us what you think you copied? I'm all curious now
I tried, apparently the GP file is too large to upload, if you can tell me another way to do this I can.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)