i've heard that you can send an email to some sort of authority and get a free TV licence if you live in poverty/significant hardship in the UK - can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, provide a link etc if possible?

i'm working for an asylum seeker charity and they'veasked me to find out - i don't intend to commit fraud!

thanks
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
As far as I know the only people that get away with not paying for it are people aged 75+
Yes, all due to the BBC monopolising the industry when it started and getting the government to allow them to charge for the privelege of not watching anything they make.
you need a license in my country too - the official tv licence company's website should have contact details that you can use to find out if thats true
Grooving to the Music

Skydiving Fund: R 50.00/ R 1600.00

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

The Dalai Lama
Quote by CoreysMonster
wait, you need a license to watch TV in the UK?

licence is the noun, license is the verb, in British English.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
licence is the noun, license is the verb, in British English.

I know, but I insist on using american spelling, so
Quote by CoreysMonster
I know, but I insist on using american spelling, so

fair enough
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by CoreysMonster

You need one if you own a computer, or anything else capable of showing TV programmes.

It's a bit fucking stupid tbh. I'd much rather the BBC had adverts than I had to subsidise it... The adverts would be far better than most of the shit they show anyway.
^ You don't need one unless you watch TV. I had a friend who had a TV but didn't have an ariel - they just watched videos and played playstation on it, and they didn't have a license. This was a while ago now though..
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
^ You don't need one unless you watch TV. I had a friend who had a TV but didn't have an ariel - they just watched videos and played playstation on it, and they didn't have a license. This was a while ago now though..

If you've got something capable of watching TV, you need one.

Otherwise I'm fairly sure nobody would pay and just say 'I only use it for my playstation'.
To be fair, there's no way they can tell anyway . Just hide the telly if they ever come a-knocking.

Quote by CoreysMonster

The BBC requires you to pay a nominal fee to them if you own equipment capable of watching TV in realtime, such as a TV card (and obviously a TV as well). Handheld TVs are exempt, so are computers without TV cards. You do not need a licence if you use the on-demand services available through BBC website.

Basically, the BBC doesn't use ads. There are no commercial breaks. You just pay about 130 quid for a TV licence for a year, and that's it.

Quote by urbanfox
You need one if you own a computer, or anything else capable of showing TV programmes.

No you don't, I rang them up and clarified this part. Not if it doesn't have a TV card.
Last edited by LordBishek at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by jgbsmith
To be fair, there's no way they can tell anyway . Just hide the telly if they ever come a-knocking.

Or eat it
Quote by LordBishek
The BBC requires you to pay a nominal fee to them if you own equipment capable of watching TV in realtime, such as a TV card (and obviously a TV as well). Handheld TVs are exempt, so are computers without TV cards. You do not need a licence if you use the on-demand services available through BBC website.

Basically, the BBC doesn't use ads. There are no commercial breaks. You just pay about 130 quid for a TV licence for a year, and that's it.

No you don't, I rang them up and clarified this part. Not if it doesn't have a TV card.

Yet...

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

I'd rather die than pay the TV license.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
they charge a tax because the british government owns the television medium, correct?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
It's £142.50.

My comp hasn't got a TV card, but I'm going to have to pay it at uni, because they stick freeview across the uni intranet or something like that.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
they charge a tax because the british government owns the television medium, correct?

not correct. We pay the fee to the BBC because that's how they're funded. They don't show adverts, and they aren't a government body. They only account for about 8 channels, everything else is like the rest of the world.

Quote by NoLaurelTree000

No, they don't. If anything, the BBC is generally critical of the government I find.

Quote by urbanfox
It's £142.50.

My comp hasn't got a TV card, but I'm going to have to pay it at uni, because they stick freeview across the uni intranet or something like that.

FUCKING OWNED
In Ireland you have to pay it for a Tv, AND you have to watch the ads on RTE. And they have terrible ads about catching people that aren't paying.

Shouldn't have to pay them. The independent channels tend to be better anyway.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
i've heard that you can send an email to some sort of authority and get a free TV licence if you live in poverty/significant hardship in the UK - can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, provide a link etc if possible?

i'm working for an asylum seeker charity and they'veasked me to find out - i don't intend to commit fraud!

thanks

The Mail will be after you if you do this.

ASSYLUM SEEKERS CRIPPLE HOSUING MARKET BY NOT PAYING FOR TV LICENCES
Quote by Matt-92
The Mail will be after you if you do this.

ASSYLUM SEEKERS CRIPPLE HOSUING MARKET BY NOT PAYING FOR TV LICENCES

I think I speak for most people when I say

FUCK THE DAILY MAIL.

Bunch of bigoted wankers that are sexually aroused by being intimidated by trashy headlines and derive pleasure from criticising hard-working immigrants to salve their own pathetic inferiority complexes and cover the fact that actually, there is no global conspiracy against England, there are no people actively trying to steal our jobs, and that the simple truth is a lot of people are too fat and lazy to get up and do their own jobs and then whinge like bitches when the jobs go to people who actually handle responsibility like fucking grown-ups.

Rant over, I ate a lot of sugar today, my bad.
Quote by LordBishek
I think I speak for most people when I say

FUCK THE DAILY MAIL.

Bunch of bigoted wankers that are sexually aroused by being intimidated by trashy headlines and derive pleasure from criticising hard-working immigrants to salve their own pathetic inferiority complexes and cover the fact that actually, there is no global conspiracy against England, there are no people actively trying to steal our jobs, and that the simple truth is a lot of people are too fat and lazy to get up and do their own jobs and then whinge like bitches when the jobs go to people who actually handle responsibility like fucking grown-ups.

Rant over, I ate a lot of sugar today, my bad.

+1

The sickening thing is that it's one of the best selling papers in the country.

Quote by urbanfox
If you've got something capable of watching TV, you need one.

Otherwise I'm fairly sure nobody would pay and just say 'I only use it for my playstation'.

I got away with only using it for my games consoles. Then again, I didn't actually watch TV on it.

The guidelines are that a TV license is required if you have a device that allows you to watch television as it is being broadcasted- so you can watch dvds or taped programming if it's provided by someone else, for example. Computers with TV tuners require a TV licence (not sure how that works with all this iPlayer stuff now though). As I said, I got away without a TV licence because I didn't use my TV for watching television.

Quote by LordBishek

Only if battery powered. As soon as it's plugged into the mains, it's a television.
Quote by jgbsmith
+1

The sickening thing is that it's one of the best selling papers in the country.

I know man, it's a crying shame

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Only if battery powered. As soon as it's plugged into the mains, it's a television.

That's not nice.