I'm trying to learn nothing else matters with a metronome, but i have it set to 4/4 and the thing keeps ticking a strong beat at the wrong time. What time signature is Nothing Else Matters by Metallica in? And how do i use this thing? Should i play a note each beat?
I thought it was mainly 6/8, with the odd bar in 3/8.

Its probably worth setting the metronome to tick for every quaver (8th note) to start with, then change it to 2 ticks per measure once you can play it ok at slower speeds.
Quote by zhilla
I thought it was mainly 6/8, with the odd bar in 3/8.

Its probably worth setting the metronome to tick for every quaver (8th note) to start with, then change it to 2 ticks per measure once you can play it ok at slower speeds.

....... I seriously need to learn what all these time signatures mean. I haven't learnt rhythm notation and time signatures yet. Would you direct me to a lesson, please?
Yup. Top note is number of notes in a measure, bottom number is the type of note.

When the type of notes is 8th notes or smaller, for faster songs you wouldn't normally count every note as a beat though - you use the accented notes as the beat.

So in 6/8 the six 8th notes are normally played in groups of 3, with the accent on the first and the 4th - so you can count is as 2 beats for faster stuff, with three 8th notes in each beat - so it feels a bit like playing triplets

I dunno if that made any sense - if not ignore it :S
Quote by KoenDercksen
It's really simple.

6/8 means 6 ticks (or counts) in one measure with the 8th note being one tick (or count).

3/4 means 3 ticks (or counts) in one measure with the 4th note being one tick (or count).

Seriously, that is all.

6/8 goes 1 2 3 4 5 6 with a tick on the 7. Don't you mean the 7th note being one tick?
6/8 goes 1 2 3 4 5 6, where the bold notes are (normally) the accented ones

The term '8th note' refers to the value of the note - A quarter note is also called a crotchet. 4/4 is 4 quarter notes per measure. An 8th note (quaver) is half the length of a quarter note. 6/8 is six 8th notes per measure.