Is it really that useful? I am thinking of buying it and giving it a good read 2 or 3 times through and then starting to build my first electric guitar. Does it really give more info then I could find on the internet? Is it worth paying $64 to buy?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
i've never read it but I have heard that its quite a good book, although if you already know a lot about guitar building (which you don't) there's not much learning involved.

And you can get it new on ebay for half that price
Not a clue about that one, but I've got a couple of guitar building books (and some plans for an LP. Strat, Tele, some sort of V and a Jem I think) on PDF if you want them.

Anyone who wants them, PM me with an email.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Joeval
Not a clue about that one, but I've got a couple of guitar building books (and some plans for an LP. Strat, Tele, some sort of V and a Jem I think) on PDF if you want them.

Anyone who wants them, PM me with an email.

Can you please email them to me? My PM system is utterly ****ed and it wont let me send anything but my email is flaming@iinet.net.au

Do you guys think with basically no woodworking experience I would be able to build a guitar after reading and understanding the book?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
Can you please email them to me? My PM system is utterly ****ed and it wont let me send anything but my email is flaming@iinet.net.au

Do you guys think with basically no woodworking experience I would be able to build a guitar after reading and understanding the book?

Yeah, the books take you from scratch, they seem pretty good. The plans are full size, with routing marked on and all sorts.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
I have built a body and two necks with pretty much no previous woodworking experience (i'd only made a little truck, small basketball hoop and co2 dragster at school) and they turned out good, one of the necks was on the thin side, but it was a practice neck and thats what practice is for.

i wouldn't recommend you going straight into building a $1000 guitar with exotic woods etc. Build a few pine/ oak (wood you can buy cheap from bunnings) guitars with shitty hardware and you'll be fine
Quote by guitarcam123
I have built a body and two necks with pretty much no previous woodworking experience (i'd only made a little truck, small basketball hoop and co2 dragster at school) and they turned out good, one of the necks was on the thin side, but it was a practice neck and thats what practice is for.

i wouldn't recommend you going straight into building a $1000 guitar with exotic woods etc. Build a few pine/ oak (wood you can buy cheap from bunnings) guitars with shitty hardware and you'll be fine

Yeh I was thinking of getting some pine and making a strat body and using a maple neck blank (since they are pretty cheap) and putting my squier parts in it to see how it plays
My first build I was thinking of an Iceman with Flame maple top, Ormsby hybrid bridge humbucker. Gotoh TOM w/string through. Mahogany wings + mahogany neck through.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
that first build sounds pretty easy, you should be right after 1 practice build

when you buy the maple neck blank, buy seconds, since your not going to use it for a real neck so theres not really much point in it looking good.

And where are these cheaps maple neck blanks anyway? >.>
ormsby. Idk if $40 is cheap but it seems like it. Also I think guitar aust has them for a bit cheaper too.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
at luthier supplies you can get a qld maple 2nd for $19, qld maple bolt on for $34 or qld maple standard for $32. They're the cheapest from luthier supplies.

Although you can get qld maple in a neck blank size from timber sites for like $10.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Is it really that useful? I am thinking of buying it and giving it a good read 2 or 3 times through and then starting to build my first electric guitar. Does it really give more info then I could find on the internet? Is it worth paying $64 to buy?

Thats what I used to learn and Im fu**in awesome at making guitars lol
It's a really helpful book to read and learn from. Definitely worth buying it, or at least borrowing from a library.

What i did was read it back to front, then read it a second time taking notes and starting to build up a catalouge of schematics, diagrams etc. Also the templates he gives you are really useful.
It costs f**k all and is very useful, if you decide not to buy it based on price you are clearly an idiot.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^Of course, but 64 smacks is insane. I wonder who's charging that much for it, or for any non-limited paperback for that matter.
^ ormsby is.

TS, you know perry isn't the only person in aus to sell guitar stuff. There are other places MUCH cheaper, perry is sometimes double the normal retail price and that's because he buys the parts etc from other shops (where you can buy it yourself) and then raises the price so he can get a profit.
The thing is I can't find it anywhere else locally.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
i have only ever read one book which was a guitar repair book which really only stated stuff I already new. So the guy above is right
The guy above is wrong, there is only one professional luthier on UG, and he hasnt posted a single tutorial, ever.

UG and PG guitars are sources of information, granted, but they do not tell you EVERYTHING you will ever need to know to make the perfect guitar.

You can always ask questions on here and PG, but you cant find out everything you need to know by asking questions because you dont know every question to ask, you might miss something that turns out to be important.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Someone sent me a PDF File of "Guitars Design, Production and Repairs by Jim Donahue"

I would print it out but 248 A4 pages is fail.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Absent Mind
The guy above is wrong, there is only one professional luthier on UG, and he hasnt posted a single tutorial, ever.

UG and PG guitars are sources of information, granted, but they do not tell you EVERYTHING you will ever need to know to make the perfect guitar.

You can always ask questions on here and PG, but you cant find out everything you need to know by asking questions because you dont know every question to ask, you might miss something that turns out to be important.

I exaggerated a bit, but they can get most of the basics and advice here.