First things first, I'm a lefty. Lefty guitars can be a bit hard to come by at times and lefty guitars I really like can be even rarer. 'Like' and 'afford' far rarer.
On our local usedcityname.com I ran across an Epiphone G-310, lefty, in black.
Guy wants $200 for it, excellent condition. Wants to sell it because he wants an acoustic.

I don't have $200, but I do have an acoustic, a Yamaha FG-412L lefty. Only one owner (me), bought it new for $320 in 2000 or 2001. Excellent condition, etc.
The only real significance it has for me is that it's the first lefty acoustic I bought brand new. I play it semi-regularly, it's got nice tone, etc.

What I'm after (I think) is someone who's had one of these Epi's to tell me not to waste my time offering to trade the guy, and that if I do I'll regret it because that particular model had x problem with y part or that I'm making a major trade-down in comparative instrument quality.

edit: I'll add that I grew up on AC/DC and Sabbath and I've always wanted, but never owned, an SG.
Last edited by Axelotl at Aug 13, 2009,
dont do it!!!
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
just dont!
lefty acoustics will be harder to come by than lefty epis!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
I'll be Rob Schneider and say: You can do it!
Originally Posted by halfcabdisaster7

Actually I once met a guy...? needless to say he died...

panic buttkiss seizure
i sold a right handed sg310 for £45 two weeks ago and brand new the sg310 was about £150, my opinion the exchange is not worth it especially as you can pick up a brand new g400 for around £200(not sure on the lefty availability-check epiphones site).

the guy that selling the sg310 for 200 is obviously ripping you off (i`ll let you convert £ into $)
Dude, buy a guitar on the internet if you can't find a guitar. But don't trade your acoustic if you don't want to.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
I wouldn't. If you like your acoustic a lot, I'd hang on to it and wait until you've got the money to buy the other guitar without a trade. I'd never let a guitar go that I even had the slightest attachment to, because I'd probably end up regretting it.
My Gear:

2008 Squier Affinity Telecaster (Special Edition Butterscotch Blonde)
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Marshall MG15CD
No way man, I'd tell you to consider it if it was a g-400 but the 310's are just crap iin my opinion. They're not much better then the Epi sg specials and to me the neck on the 310 just feels like garbage.
What I'm working with:
Fender Jazzmaster
Gibson SG-X
ESP EC-401
Peavey 6505+ w/ Voodoo mods
Quick question:

Couldn't you just get a regular SG and flip it, Hendrix Style? The headstock is symmetrical, and it's double-cut...?
Couldn't you just get a regular SG and flip it, Hendrix Style? The headstock is symmetrical, and it's double-cut...?

this
its not a single-cut les paul, you can always flip it
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by lukeylynch
Quick question:

But the volume knobs and tone knobs would get in the way a lot easier, so it would be a right pain in the arse.

Honestly, the G310 is just a beginner guitar. Keep your acoustic, and save up for a left handed G400 (you can get them by the way). Trust me, you'll be a lot happier
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
But the volume knobs and tone knobs would get in the way a lot easier, so it would be a right pain in the arse.

I'd like to hear what TS thinks about the knobs. Most people'd find it weird, but I've heard the Hendrix preferred it
As a lefty who has owned a SG strung upside down you will hate it. The 310 model is not that great of a guitar. Its really worth the money to save up and get the 400. TS if he would drop the price it might be a decent deal. The seller needs to remember there isnt a huge demand for lefties so it may take him a long time to get 200$ for that guitar, considering someplace like GC etc will only give 40% of its value in trade.
Quote by lukeylynch
I'd like to hear what TS thinks about the knobs. Most people'd find it weird, but I've heard the Hendrix preferred it

Yeah, but that's probably because he grew up playing right handed guitars, and he just got used to it. Plus, on an SG, you'll knock the knobs about and all that, which might not be good in a middle of a solo when your volume just cuts right down.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I have a right handed G-400. And it's way better than the 310.

Ofc, you will be getting the left handed version.
And don't trade the acoustic, you will only live to regret it.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Your guitar sounds decent from what you're telling us, Don't trade it. If it was a crappy acoustic guitar with barely any sound I'd say yes, Go right ahead unless it was your first one. But since this was your first acoustic and it is decent I say don't do it.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Thanks for the input, everyone.
I've reconsidered and offered him $100CDN if he doesn't get any better offers.

As far as knobs go, I've owned several righty-strung-lefty guitars and two of the most annoying aspects of that are the knobs being in my armpit and mostly inaccessible (at least if I want to get to them quickly) and the jack plate (if it's a flat top-mount and not an angled Strat or edge-mount) getting in the way of my forearm when strumming.

Thanks again for the input guys, I appreciate it.