Page 1 of 2
I've been playing guitar for about 8 months, and the amp I have is a little Epiphone 12 watt amp that my friend gave me when I started playing guitar. But now I'm looking for something with more power, effects, etc. to spice up my play. I play metal, but I'm expanding to blues, jazz, and funk. I was looking at the Line 6 Spider III 120w/150w, and it's loaded with like 400 presets, 12 models, 7 effects, and all kinds of other cool stuff. It looks like a cool amp, and with it's extreme versatility, it seems like a good deal. I don't know much about the amps out there, just some basic stuff, so if anyone can give me suggestions or anything, that would be much appreciated!
everyone here hates spider III's. they don't have a reason behind it - they'll say it's because they suck, but it's really because everyone else here hates them. and they just don't want to be hated.

go into a shop and ask to have a go. if you like it, get it. although you may not want the 120w for a practice amp. possibly one a bit smaller.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by Mr.Feather
everyone here hates spider III's. they don't have a reason behind it - they'll say it's because they suck, but it's really because everyone else here hates them. and they just don't want to be hated.

go into a shop and ask to have a go. if you like it, get it. although you may not want the 120w for a practice amp. possibly one a bit smaller.

They do suck.

Don't take this guys advice, buy a vypyr or cube, or valvetronix.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Mr.Feather

No, seriously - some people (usually the guys who go "lol line 6 sucks") bash them just because everyone else bashes them too. But there are a LOT of reasonable players with lots of experience who are saying that yes, while it is a versatile amp (and that's why the 15w version is bearable as a starter amp), the bigger wattage versions are NOT worth it. They're a practice amp that's VERY loud (for a practice amp). For the money you can get something a lot better.

Seriously, in my opinion, this "everyone bashes them just because it's cool"-bandwagon is approaching the level of the "line 6 sucks"-bandwagon. Higher wattage Spider's - no thank you. Almost anything else by Line 6 is pretty decent tho.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Aug 13, 2009,
I've tried the 15 watt model, and it sucked. The 75 Watt model sounded a lot better. It's not that good for shredding, but in general it's a very versatile amp. I've heard great things about the Peavey Vypyr but never tried one myself. Try both and decide for yourself. The Roland Microcube is a great practice amp too, I don't know why you'd need 120 watts for practice. 75 watts is more than enough if you're playing with a drummer, and if you're playing alone, even the Microcube would do a great job.
Quote by Mr.Feather

actually that's only the noobs who jump on the bandwagon, noticing that everyone who has to put up with everything being plugged into a spider at their local shops all the time, hates the spiders, so they want to join in on the spider bashing. such people also end up being the ones who say "line 6 sucks", not that the spiders suck.

the spiders are basically entry level practice amps and the presets which the higher wattage models boast are just a way to lure you into paying more for a just as cruddy amp - in truth, it's the same (lack of) quality you're getting when you get the 15 watter - just a wider range of low quality tones you'll probably struggle to find much use for. it really is a waste of money going for a higher wattage spider as there are better amps out there for the price - in the price range you could get a 30 watt tube combo which may not have the array of presets, but it will sound an awful lot better and thus be more usable.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Got a line 6, not happy with it.
But that is because I prefer to play Classic Rock/Blues.
If you are into metal, buy a Line 6, the metal channels are decent for a gutiar built to play metal. If you want to play calssic rock ect. Buy a Roland Cube or an Orange Crush 30.
Amazing amps.
Yamaha RGX-A2
Line 6 Spider
Need a new amp so much D:
Orange Stack or Marshall JCM 2000 Stack please.
For one thousand dollars you can buy a tube amp.
A non modelling tube amp.
But i've been awake for over 24 hours so i am not going to list all the tube amps.
But hopefully someone else will.
But basically my point is you want a non modelling tube amp.
BUT IF YOU MUST GET A MODELLING AMP.
get a 2x12 peavey vypyr tube.
or see if you can find a used Carvin V3 2x12 tube amp.
browse craigslist. some amazing deals man.
If you have $1000 then go Marshall or Vox, maybe a high end Blackstar :P

Also, go used...you'll get a lot more for your money.
If you must a modeling amp buy a line 6 vetta used
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
For $1000 ?

A Vypyr's a waste.

Look on CL or something...im sure you can find some great delas.

Even new you'll get good stuff in that budget.

Hughes and Kettner does some nice modelling amps.
Get a Blackstar HT-5, spend the remaining $500 on effects, you won't be disappointed. They're fücking awesome amps.
So no-one will spare the time to tell you WHY the Spider 'sucks'. Its because the sounds are very 'digital' and not nice to the ear. Distortions tend to be 'fizzy' with lots of background noise reducing the natural guitar tones.
With your budget you can look at some very nice amps. The first choice would be a Hiwatt 50w combo (used). It has a great British clean sound that takes pedals well, so it will cover your wide range of preferences. If you are only looking for a quality practice amp, then the Blackstar HT-5 would be ideal. Again it has ok cleans as well as very nice built-in distortion. Also it is a lot louder than you'd expect from a 5w amp.
There are really so many great amps in your price range that you should take your guitar along to a good shop and try as many as you can before making any decision.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by nospacesallowed
If you have $1000 then go Marshall or Vox, maybe a high end Blackstar :P

Also, go used...you'll get a lot more for your money.

Do what this guy said if your spending a 1000 why on a Spider III that's like throwing your money out the window. If your into metal Marshall JCM800 would be good.
If you must have a modelling amp, then look at some Peavey Vypyrs. If you just want a larger amp, get a Peavey Valveking and some pedals.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
So much bad advise is being given;

If you have 1k and want a modeling amp get a Line 6 Vetta
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
WHAT? you have 1k and want a MODELING amp like spider?
tubes for 1k all the way

if practice only, this:

Get a Blackstar HT-5, spend the remaining $500 on effects, you won't be disappointed. They're fücking awesome amps.
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
look into the Randall MTS Series; you won't be disappointed. I got a RM80 to replace my old spider......now i am happy

The spider was good at first, but after awhile, it started to sound worse and worse. I'm trying to sell it right now, but the chances of that happening are extremely small.

Get something like the RM50; as far as modules go, listen to these sound clips and some vids on youtube to help you decide.

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

My recommendation is the Blackface for cleans, and maybe and Ultra or Ultra XL for hi gain. But look around and see what you like.

http://www.dcmusicstore.com/Randall-RM50B-Amplifier

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

^ join this forum; they can help you with any questions you have about the amps.

Goo Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by bucketmark
If you have 1k and want a modeling amp get a Line 6 Vetta

How did i forget this?

+10 (e^2000)
Last edited by unet at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by bucketmark
They do suck.

Don't take this guys advice, buy a vypyr or cube, or valvetronix.

Don't be a dick. He should at least try the Spider in ordr to compare it to other amps.
Quote by heinrick
I've been playing guitar for about 8 months, and the amp I have is a little Epiphone 12 watt amp that my friend gave me when I started playing guitar. But now I'm looking for something with more power, effects, etc. to spice up my play. I play metal, but I'm expanding to blues, jazz, and funk. I was looking at the Line 6 Spider III 120w/150w, and it's loaded with like 400 presets, 12 models, 7 effects, and all kinds of other cool stuff. It looks like a cool amp, and with it's extreme versatility, it seems like a good deal. I don't know much about the amps out there, just some basic stuff, so if anyone can give me suggestions or anything, that would be much appreciated!

Here are the flaws with this
1. You will never get Blues, Jazz or Funk out of a spider 3
2. Unless you're playing huge stadiums with 1000+ people you don't need 120 watts or 150 watts
3. Spider 3s sound horrific and digital
4. They die easily
5. Versatile
6. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it sounds good

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you're new. I think you should get a vox valvetronix VT15 but I don't know your price range so that could be too much.

Edit: just read your price perhaps the VT30, same amp but 30 watts. You might also look at a Peavy Vypr or a Roland Cube and spend the rest on some effects. I honestly don't think that right now you should spend $1000 dollars on an amp, you're just starting and what if you decide not to play anymore. On the other hand if you spend $1000 and get a really nice amp that might be what keeps you playing. So I think you should get a nice amp and spend some money on effect petals or a nice guitar. Speaking of which what kind of guitar are you playing?
Musicians friend is a good website just go to the website and under amps & effects go to combo amps and pick your price range. You said up to $1000 right here's where you should go and just look at the best-sellers and top rated and those would probably be good things to try. Though like I said before you should try and get something here or here. I do advise for the same reason that I said for the Spider 3s aren't good. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT GET A MARSHALL MG OF ANY SORT!
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by heinrick
I guess up to about $1000, I play metal, jazz, blues and funk

Damn, now that's a big budget.
Look for some good tube amps like the Blackstar HT-5 like already told and get some effects you want.

Spending 1000$ on a crappy solid state modelling amp is wasting your money. Don't get amps because they can model x different amp-models and have x different effects and sound crappy. I'm not bashing the Spider III because everyone else bashes and hates them. I have experience with the Spider III (nearly all my friends have one) and know what they sound like.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I know how you feel. My friend who's been playing for 5 years just buys things for the sake of buying things so he has a 100 watt spider 3 along with many other horrific unneeded amps and guitars that sound like ****. While I have been playing for a little over a year, may not play better, but I sound 100,000,000,000,000 times better than him.
As you have been playing for all of 8 months you dont really need anything so big as a 100w. Be way better off buying a more affordable tube combo in 20w range and using the left over money for a guitar or just putting it aside for later use. If you want the versatility there are much more reliable modelling amps to be had.
There are better amps than the spider III.
Check out the Peavey Vypyr or the Roland cube.

But if you REALLY want the spider, then go ahead. Just keep the receipt , just in case.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by nospacesallowed

Insta-win!!!
Quote by bucketmark
Line 6 Vetta

Lulz, d00d have y00 pl4y3d a spider? olololol. Lien 6 sux!!!1!!one!!1! Lulz

Go for a Vetta II or a Vox AC30 unless you want a lot of on-board gain. You could get a good OD pedal with the AC30 and it could probably do metal, haven't tried it though so don't quote me on that. But the cleans on the AC30 are ridiculously amazing and it can do hard rock with the gain channel. But if you play mostly metal than get the Vetta II.

Quote by TheOpenMind
Insta-win!!!

Just because you have a Blackstar and like it doesn't mean it will be perfect for everybody. It might fit TS' needs with an OD but I'm sure the majority of people would MUCH rather have a higher end amp and with a $1000 budget that would not be the best option. And he also said he plays blues jazz and funk.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 13, 2009,
I have a Spider III 75w... Once you develop an ear for tone, you'll hate yourself if you get a Spider... I got mine when I didn't really pay much attention to tone, and now that I've developed that ear, I can't believe how bad it sounds compared to its competitors, like the Cube or the Vypyr (although I don't like the Vypyr that much either, but its still better than a Spider).

I'm not gonna recommend an amp because I'm sure you've gotten plenty of recommendations already, but I'm just going to tell you that, from experience, you'll regret buying a Spider.
For a grand you got alot of options. Any number of tube amps and some pedals. A POD XT or X3 Live and a tech 21 Power Engine if your interested in modeling etc. You need to go try alot of stuff.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I am kinda new, been playing for 5 months and I went to my local GC and bought a Line 6 Spider 3 30 watt. Compared to my old crappy Gorilla amp, the Line 6 Spider 3 was 100 times better then the old amp. But then I started to notice the clean tones were kind of phasy and fake. I posted a question on this forum and everyone said take it back and get a Peavy Vypyr 30 and I am happy that I did. It has so many built in effects (more then a new guy can use) and the amp can play anything. Since I bought the Vypyr I bought a used Sanpera II foot pedal and I haven't looked back. Its plenty loud, sounds great and has some cool effects built in..some of them you will need one of the Sanpera series pedals to unlock (like the looper, pitch shifter, and wah controls). Total cost? 400 bucks...and you'll have some cash left over to buy some pickups or a new guitar. Oh well..just my .02....
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by d4man
I am kinda new, been playing for 5 months and I went to my local GC and bought a Line 6 Spider 3 30 watt. Compared to my old crappy Gorilla amp, the Line 6 Spider 3 was 100 times better then the old amp. But then I started to notice the clean tones were kind of phasy and fake. I posted a question on this forum and everyone said take it back and get a Peavy Vypyr 30 and I am happy that I did. It has so many built in effects (more then a new guy can use) and the amp can play anything. Since I bought the Vypyr I bought a used Sanpera II foot pedal and I haven't looked back. Its plenty loud, sounds great and has some cool effects built in..some of them you will need one of the Sanpera series pedals to unlock (like the looper, pitch shifter, and wah controls). Total cost? 400 bucks...and you'll have some cash left over to buy some pickups or a new guitar. Oh well..just my .02....

UG SUCCESS STORY!!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE LISTENING TO US GUYS!!!!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
UG SUCCESS STORY!!!! SOME PEOPLE ARE LISTENING TO US GUYS!!!!

Seriously, I do listen to you guys & gals. I lurk more then I post. I am a newb and when I have questions, I ask here and I take the advice...lol...

sorry...back on topic
My Gear:

Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Last edited by d4man at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by d4man
Seriously, I do listen to you guys & gals. I lurk more then I post. I am a newb and when I have questions, I ask here and I take the advice...lol...

sorry...back on topic

Didn't mean any offense to you, it just seems like these Spider/MG threads always end with "screw you, I was just looking for someone to say its awesome, I'm buying it anyway." Its nice to know that at least one of these threads was helpful to someone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Didn't mean any offense to you, it just seems like these Spider/MG threads always end with "screw you, I was just looking for someone to say its awesome, I'm buying it anyway." Its nice to know that at least one of these threads was helpful to someone.

None taken. I am glad that I spoke up and asked a question back then. I really do love that amp, its been flawless...The other day I posted a question about putting pickups in my BC Rich guitar...they told me save the money and buy a new guitar. That is what I am gonna do...lol...

no problem
My Gear:

Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Quote by d4man
The other day I posted a question about putting pickups in my BC Rich guitar...they told me save the money and buy a new guitar. That is what I am gonna do...lol...

Have a cookie...

EDIT: NOOO!!! Don't eat it!!! Just noticed it had spiders in it
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 13, 2009,
Ya know if I were me, which I am, and I saw you trying to purchase a Spider III 75W or higher amp at GC, I would take your money and buy something nice like a Triple Rectifier. Or cheese.
Quote by MuffinMan
I hope for a day when circumcised and uncircumcised penises can live together in harmony!

Quote by Kensai
Cowslayer, I recognize you as the Emperor of the universe. I applaud you in your awesomeness.
Page 1 of 2