Hi, I am soon going to apply for universities, I want to study in the UK (even though I've lived abroad for 10 years).

As all English students, I'll be applying through UCAS.

I'm going to apply to these universities:

1. Oxford
2. St. Andrews
3. Edinburgh
4. Trinity College Dublin
5. ?

Which University should I use as a "safety net", Brighton? Sussex?

Also: How should I go about writing a personal statement, do any of you have an Example of a personal statement? What should I write about?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I want to study PPE (Philosophy Politics and Economics) or it's equivalent (not all Universities have exactly that course).
Last edited by thedefrockednun at Aug 13, 2009,
Aren't those the sorts of questions you should be asking at school?

And if you want to be accepted into a decent uni, include n00dz on the statement.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by thedefrockednun
PPE (Philosophy Politics and Economics) or it's equivalent.

Well, you have tailor your personal statement towards that. Show your interests and achievements in that subject, talk about your academic successes, any extra-curricular stuff that is relevant to the course. Make sure to put your interests outside of the subject as well, to show that you're a rounded human being, but don't spend too much time on this.

Also, for Oxford, they have a seperate application process, don't they? So for there you'll need your personal statement to be good to get an interview, but the real test is the interview itself, unlike many other universities that just go off your personal statement and grades.
Quote by thedefrockednun
My school is a French school, I have to do all the work

Well, to be fair it doesn't take a great leap to figure out what to put in a personal statement.

What do you want them to know? That you are a member of an online forum, or that you dedicated your time to academia for example?

It's just like a covering letter for a CV, but tilted towards educational institutions.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
York.
The Campus is beautiful, and they do all Manor of courses.

What are your grades in your A levels?
You should choose a Welsh uni as your insurance, so you've got the complete set

I know a guy whose personal statement consisted of just 5 words: "I am epic and immense". As far as I know, his uni accepted him, so I think it's worth a shot
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Trinity Dublin, just because were awesome really.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
I'M entering my last year of school, I go to a French school so we don't have A levels.

I already had my French, Biology and Oral French exams, with an average of A-
DUBLIN IS NOT IN THE UK!!!!!!! its in the republic of ireland! its a good college but its full of pretentious gits and its reputation is far better than it deserves
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Try to make it sound confident, but not like you are a twat. Although Oxford may like it if you come across as a little bit of a twat. We were told when applying it was a good idea to try and open with why you wanted to do the subject, or with a quote or something. And that it is OK to be a bit fast and loose with the truth.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by flambe chicken
Try to make it sound confident, but not like you are a twat. Although Oxford may like it if you come across as a little bit of a twat. We were told when applying it was a good idea to try and open with why you wanted to do the subject, or with a quote or something. And that it is OK to be a bit fast and loose with the truth.

The first bold bit is pretty much right, considering how many brilliant applicants Oxford get every year you don't wanna sell yourself short

Be careful with the second part, it's alright if you're talking about why you wanna do the subject (make yourself sound more noble, or whatever) but make sure you're 100% honest about anything they can actually check
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

The thing is, can I apply for PPE even though 've never studied Philosophy.

I have my last year of school, and this is the year where we study Philosophy.
Maybe Warwick? It's a lovely place, great faculty. But it really depends on what kind of situation you'd like to be in. Like, would you prefer a small one-on-one class or do you prefer to sit in a lecture hall of 500+ students? It all comes down to the kind of experience you're looking for in higher education.
<<My lyric. Critique, please?

You can't change the world but you can make a dent.
Quote by thedefrockednun
The thing is, can I apply for PPE even though 've never studied Philosophy.

I have my last year of school, and this is the year where we study Philosophy.

I can't be arsed to check all your choices, but Oxford don't care if you've never studied it. You don't even need economics, apparently

And Warwick's awesome, but not much of a safety net since the typical offer is AAA
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by konfyouzd

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Quote by Xubnormal
Maybe Warwick? It's a lovely place, great faculty. But it really depends on what kind of situation you'd like to be in. Like, would you prefer a small one-on-one class or do you prefer to sit in a lecture hall of 500+ students? It all comes down to the kind of experience you're looking for in higher education.

At most unis you should get both.
Don't worry about not having yet studied the subject. It's not a problem. As long as you can put across your passion and enthusiasm for the subject (possibly through reference to books you may have read outside of the regular school curriculum), it's all good. Wider reading is a basic but effective thing to put in your statement.

Just make sure you explain WHY it is you want to study the subject. With the universities you're applying to, don't fanny on about extra-cirricular activities and sports clubs/hobbies etc. A few lines at the end is good, but try and keep the focus throughout mainly academic. Relate wider reading and outside experience (e.g. work experience, courses, awards, taster sessions at universities, talks .etc) to the subject and explain how they have furthered you desire to study it.

Don't use lots of anecdotal or personal stories if they have little relevance or point, don't start with "I have always wanted to study blah blah" or anything similar and be very, very wary of using quotes. The universities want to know why YOU want to study PPE, not anybody else. 99% of the time, people who use quotes come across as pretentious and unimaginative.

Oh, apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford! It's where all the cool people go! :P
Which college are you thinking of at the minute?

Good luck!
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

I'm having chicken nuggets for lunch.

My Day > Yours
My personal statement ended with 'I want to change the world', and I got 5 places.

It was for art though.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices