When I play a bar chord, some notes don't ring out or they buzz. This doesn't sound very good, and it is especially not good if i need to fingerpick a bar chord. How do i get my bar chords sounding clean?
You learn how to bar them properly. As in get your index finger, and practice just barring the frets and playing them clean
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Seymour Duncans
Avalon Gold series acoustic
ESP LTD 7-string

Amp:
Marshall 100DFX
Peavey Valveking 212

Effects:
Boss GT-10
practise
its all about getting the strength in your hand to be able to hold the chord.. when u get this strenght u will be able to hold down all the strings in the right position and u will begin to hear clean bar chords.. takes a while tho Goodluck
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
Practice. If you have just started you will probly find you get alot of muted notes but after a while your hand gets use to the position and is able to push down each fret.

And also make sure your baring finger is just behiind the metal of the fret.
Practice . Hold down the chord and try playing each note individually. Figure out which ones are causing the problem and work on fixing the fingering for that note.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
What's it with you making all these threads lol

Practice them, don't press to hard but not too soft either. Just make sure everything sounds clean, it requires quite a lot of strength in the beginning and you may start feeling cramps after a while, if so stop and resume practice later.
start by only barring with your index finger to get it strong. The notes won't sound great together, but once you start getting it clean, add fingers. Especially your pinky. Most guitarists don't use their pinkies, and it sucks, i'm one of them.
It's all about finger strength and that will come with time and practice
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Practise is the way!

Pay attention to the way you are barring. Hold a barre shape and strum it, then alter your positioning to try and fix the mutes/buzzing notes. Then hold it while you strum for a bit. I found that it was really easy to really tense up my hand when playing a barre chord and too much tension can cause problems so you've got to be as relaxed as you possibly can. It takes time though so you just need to be patient.
Thanks guys

Should I practice them by playing them in a song, or practice getting a bar chord sound clean? I found that the former didn't work well, because i play a lot of songs with bar chords but my bar chords still don't sound good.
Last edited by robinlint at Aug 13, 2009,
Its not so much strength as technique - if some notes are muted try changing the angle of your barring finger, or rolling it slightly on its side, til you get all the notes sounding cleanly. Don't worry, you'll get them so you are happy with them, with a bit of practice
Quote by robinlint
Should I practice them by playing them in a song, or practice getting a bar chord sound clean? I found that the former didn't work well, because i play a lot of songs with bar chords but my bar chords still don't sound good.

Both, you will need to learn how to change to\from barre chords, so incorporate all that you have said into your practice routine.

Oh, and zhilla +1
To me, it sounds like your not applying enough pressure with your index finger. This was my problem when I first started playing barre chords, mind you that was on acoustic
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
your index finger should be at a small angle to the fret. it is harder if index finger is parallel to the fret.
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
I got the Em bar chord sounding good for a short while, but my thumb was to the left instead of in the middle, which i doubt would be good. How should i place my thumb for bar chords?
If you have the problem on an electric it could be that your guitar's action is too low. Try picking more gently so the string doesnt ping against the fretboard. You're just gonna have to practise your technique.
No, it's on an acoustic guitar with very high action. (The strings are very high)
position your thumb left of middle so it's closer to your index finger

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
My thumb moves around all the time depending on what I'm playing (back of the neck for barre chords, over the top for muting/fretting, and everywhere in between)- and so does my teacher's. As long as its comfortable, its not causing any tension and its not preventing you playing anything I'd let your thumb go where it seems to work best.
Quote by robinlint
No, it's on an acoustic guitar with very high action. (The strings are very high)

If they are too high that is going to affect your playing fullstop. You may want to consider getting the action lowered it you feel it's too high, especially as it will create unnecessary tension because you have to push down more.
I'm having the same issue. My barre chords seem to be okay past the 9th fret or so because I can exert more pressure. But above the 9th my hand weakens, my middle finger quivers, and I can't get all strings to ring out properly.

Considering I can play them when I have enough leverage, I'm assuming its just an issue of building more strength in my hand.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
If they are too high that is going to affect your playing fullstop. You may want to consider getting the action lowered it you feel it's too high, especially as it will create unnecessary tension because you have to push down more.

Oh? Isn't it better to practice on a high action guitar, and then on a low action?

By the way, i've just practiced bar chords a bit on the high action guitar. On there, they sounded a bit better.. but still crappy. Then I switched to my electric guitar, and it already sounds better, but i've noticed when I play the bar chords correctly my elbow is pushed against my body. Is that an issue?

EDIT: Almost all of my E shape bar chords sound clear now on the electric guitar, except for the F. Thanks, UG!

On the acoustic guitar, the only string that still gets muted is the B string.
Last edited by robinlint at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by robinlint
Oh? Isn't it better to practice on a high action guitar, and then on a low action?

By the way, i've just practiced bar chords a bit on the high action guitar. On there, they sounded a bit better.. but still crappy. Then I switched to my electric guitar, and it already sounds better, but i've noticed when I play the bar chords correctly my elbow is pushed against my body. Is that an issue?

EDIT: Almost all of my E shape bar chords sound clear now on the electric guitar, except for the F. Thanks, UG!

On the acoustic guitar, the only string that still gets muted is the B string.

It's best to plpay a guitar that has an action that isn't too high or too low. This will change a bit for every player. For example someone who is really into shredding will probably like the action as low down as possible without getting fret buzz. If it feels good for you then leave it, but the way you descibed it made me think it was probably too high.
I've practiced bar chords and when I play them on an electric guitar, they sound fine, but when I play them on my acoustic guitar, the B string gets muted. Why is that?
Hrm, this bar chord practice is getting boring. What should I learn before tackling bar chords? I've already learnt some theory, and open chords. But my bar chords sound ****ty, and practicing bar chords over and over again is really boring.