I'm new here and I've been playing the guitar only for a 2 years but I'm just curious what people might think about one or two of my riffs I made during my short guitarist history

So here is one of my favourites. No complete song, I wouldn't even call it a part of a song yet, in its state I'd rather say these are a few riffs thrown together. Maybe later they can become a full song (once I find a band).

End of the long talk, here's the tab (please consider that I've been playing for 2 years).

ps.: I wonder what style this could be.
Attachments:
rock_riff7.gp5
Sure, I can export it into midi, it just sounds a bit weird compared to the sound of an overdriver guitar.
Attachments:
rock_riff7.mid
Ok, well it's a very good start, albeit a little repetitive and short. I advise beefing it out with more instruments and a vocal line. Look at existing songs of a similar genre (I'd suggest Foo Fighters) and give it some welly, perhaps diversifying the riffs throught different parts of the song.
Reminds me a bit of AC/DC. Anyway, it's fairly simple, and fairly common, but you make good use of those big open sounding power chords, and you've got a pretty good feel for interesting rhythms.

I really liked what you did from bars 33-42.

I didn't much like bars 17-24 though. They might be more interesting with another guitar, drums and bass, but right now it just doesn't have much feel to it.

Still it's pretty good, and I can definitely picture a good song emerging from it.
Quote by Emperor's Child

I did say that these are just some riffs thrown together, it's far from being a song yet
These riffs are to strong to add vocals to it plus currently I'm working on my guitar skills and have no band. I hope I'll find a band soon

Quote by icronic

AC/DC? Wouldn't have thought about that.
To be honest I don't think that the music's complexity is what makes it good. Of course the chord progression here is very simple, that's because I wanted the rhytm to be interesting.

Bars 33-42 are my favourite here.

I admit, bars 17-24 need a lot more work, maybe some catchy melody. Melodies, solos are my biggest weakness...

Thank you for your comments!
Quote by atira
To be honest I don't think that the music's complexity is what makes it good. Of course the chord progression here is very simple, that's because I wanted the rhytm to be interesting.

That's a very unpopular opinion on these here forums, but I agree in any case. Complexity certainly isn't a bad thing, but it's completely meaningless if you can't come up with something people will remember after a single listen.

Anyway, if you're having trouble coming up with melodies just put your guitar down, loop the section you want a melody over, and sing a melody. As long as you have a decent ear it's probably the best way of coming up with a good melody. You can actually use this exact same method for solos. Sing your basic melody, tab it out, and then fill in space between the melody with note runs and flourishes and what not.
Quote by icronic
That's a very unpopular opinion on these here forums, but I agree in any case. Complexity certainly isn't a bad thing, but it's completely meaningless if you can't come up with something people will remember after a single listen.

We agree on that.

Making solos by making up main notes and filling the space between them... Didn't think about that, I'll try that, thanks.