Page 1 of 2
...and it'll probably get chopped by an axe.

I hate the metal music that screams and pounds and growls. I find it is an ugly sound and the death growl is pretty disturbing and annoying. You cant make out what they are singing.
So i pose the question, why is it so popular? What do you see in pounding, intoxicating white noise?
You just know he's hiding something awesome under there...
Last edited by Jimmeister at Aug 13, 2009,
Try here I guess.

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Because people like metal. And the statement you can't understand the lyrics, is different to each person. Growls are not used by every band. And you are just trolling.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Try for instance Dream Theater...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
LOL just no. Being a huge fan of powermetal and speed metal first off there is so much wrong with your statement. Learn about ALL types of metal before you speak.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Normally i hate metal, but when I'm really pissed off and angry, there isn't a better way to let it all out than rocking out to some metal.

EDIT: when i said i normally hate metal, I mean metal where there is only noise and they always seem to play in drop G or something. bands like dream theatre are good because they hit the right balance.

sorry if i sound ignorant.
Last edited by MOODY17 at Aug 13, 2009,
Oh yeah, Jimmeister, don't listen to that feller Sheepbane.

EDIT: Not in this thread either. Best to just ignore entirely.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by Jimmeister
You cant make out what they are singing.
pounding, intoxicating white noise?

You know, there are more than one kind of metal.
Quote by duncang
Oh yeah, Jimmeister, don't listen to that feller Sheepbane.

EDIT: Not in this thread either. Best to just ignore entirely.

/faceplam
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by Sheepbane
/faceplam

Faceplam?

That's a new 'un.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Everyone in this thread can fuck off except Duncan and Moogle, they're the only ones who got it right.

TS: First of all, thank you for asking us a legitimate question and not being a complete douche. To answer you, I like metal because I just do. The growling, heaviness and all that jazz just clicks with me. I can't really explain it, I just enjoy it.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Quote by duncang
Faceplam?

That's a new 'un.

lol agrue in one thread get black listed =P
meh i like to look at my music for technical skill, it shows that they have put thier time in to refine thier techniques.
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
I listen to it because I don't think it's noise, I've adapted to the harshness and everything of it.
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.
If s/he doesn't like metal, s/he doesn't like it. No need to call him ignorant or anything. But this thread is sort of strangely placed...

I hope you expect to get jumped on by dumbass "metalheads" that are on you like a wild cat on a carcass.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
I hope you expect to get jumped on by dumbass "metalheads" that are on you like a wild cat on a carcass.

Good band there
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.
Quote by Sheepbane
lol agrue in one thread get black listed =P
meh i like to look at my music for technical skill, it shows that they have put thier time in to refine thier techniques.

Funny you'd talk about 'all types of metal' then
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Quote by duncang
Funny you'd talk about 'all types of metal' then

lol i've been on a nice branch out lately, ive spread out to black and melodeath now =P
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by MoogleRancha
If s/he doesn't like metal, s/he doesn't like it. No need to call him ignorant or anything. But this thread is sort of strangely placed...

Disliking metal doesn't mean you're ignorant, but saying that all metal has unintelligible vocals, and sound like white noise is pretty ignorant. TS is of course an obvious troll, but if someone says something like that, it's not really wrong to say that he's ignorant.
Last edited by Chromex at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Sheepbane
lol i've been on a nice branch out lately, ive spread out to black and melodeath now =P

Doesn't sound like you've learnt 'about ALL types of metal'
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
I like metal because the guitar work is so hard and fast and because the vocals are so nasty and it's like oh my god i totally relate to this and then i headbang and wear bullet belts and hi-tops and i started growing my hair out last week oh and also its so heavy lol seriously metal is the hardest genre ever to play everything else sux like mcr cos their emo or fall out boy cos their emo too or eurythmics cos their gay
Quote by Chromex
Disliking metal doesn't mean you're ignorant, but saying that all metal has unintelligible vocals, and sound like white noise is pretty ignorant.

Most metal has unintelligible vocals if you haven't noticed and s/he may not have been exposed to other sorts of metal. S/he may have only heard the stereotypical brutal metal which forms his or her opinion to be so negative. S/he doesn't necessarily get it, but could if people stop bantering on about ignorance.

Being insulted is not a fun experience, so s/he may never bother with the question again, completely dismissing a whole genre of music. It's not right, but I could see where they're coming from.

Be friendly to other forum users, not bitchy.
Philosophy > Life
Last edited by MoogleRancha at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by duncang
Doesn't sound like you've learnt 'about ALL types of metal'

knowing and enjoying are two differn't things
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
But what makes you think Jimmeister doesn't 'know'? First post didn't say anything objectively wrong.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Different strokes for different folks.
I listen to hardcore for the raw emotion and aggression.
I listen to metal for the composition, the skill, the brutality, the melody, all that jazz.

Whatever.
Like I said, different strokes.
Quote by Chromex
No?

I would say the majority of black and death metal both have growling/shrieking/gutturals/etc, correct?

Since when are those fully intelligble?

And before you say "that's not all metal," that composes the majority of the metal scene as of right now.

Yes, doom and traditional generally have sung vocals, and thrash with yelling, but the thing is, when people hear "metal" they automatically think extreme metal if they are unexperienced with the genre. And extreme metal has extreme vocals generally.
Philosophy > Life
Last edited by MoogleRancha at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by MoogleRancha
I would say the majority of black and death metal both have growling/shrieking/gutturals/etc, correct?

And before you say "that's not all metal," that composes the majority of the metal scene as of right now.

since your super br00tal and kvlt like me
^thats probably sarcasm^

Quote by kpatterson14206
Quote by MoogleRancha

Maybe not fully intelligable, but I can hear what they're saying usually. You get better at it in time. I'm still fairly new to DM, myself. It does depend on the band a bit though, I find bands like Nile and Decapitated intelligable. Stuff like Defeated Sanity and Wormed are definitely not, and are not intended to be.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by duncang
But what makes you think Jimmeister doesn't 'know'? First post didn't say anything objectively wrong.

stating that the vocal styling for all sub genere's is gutteral falls into the incorrect section to me?
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
I like metal because it's aggressive, it helps me out with a lot of problems and the lyrics are just really powerful to me. That is why I love listening to it and playing it.
I drink your milkshake.
After listening to it for awhile, you can make out what they're saying. Although I still have a hard time with some bands, but that's what lyrics booklets are for. The vocal styling fits the music, understand that. It's supposed to sound disturbing, and aggravated, and.."pounding", that's why metal is considered "extreme music" (for the most part).

But yes, there are many metal bands that don't use harsh vocals as well. It depends on the style of metal.

Now I'm going to release pent up frustration:

FUCK

Moogle^ I'd say it's pretty close as far as intelligible vs unintelligible...you've got power, speed, alot of doom, stoner, NWBHM, and a lot of prog bands as well all using cleans. And a lot that mix both stylings as well.
Last edited by technicolour at Aug 13, 2009,
Page 1 of 2