I have a 3 - 4 years old Squier. Not the best thing out there, but it does its job and isn't bad after you get to know it.
Well, let's say that I don't take proper care of my guitar and as a consequence, it's a bit beat up. I noticed that it has red paint under the top layer of paint.
Is it normal? Any idea of what it's for?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I don't know what it is for, but it's awesome!

My Squier Strat doesn't have a different color under the paint...

Maybe they just used red as primer?
Are you the original owner?
Perhaps someone repainted it?

Otherwise, it's probably red primer..

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
Are you the original owner?
Perhaps someone repainted it?

Otherwise, it's probably red primer..

Yup, I bought it from a shop. It was new. Weird stuff .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by kroket666
that's weird...........

mayby it's worth something

yeah maybe it's made of jewels.

what model squier?
is it alder, agathis, or hardwood underneath.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've heard that they will sometime reuse bodies where they screwed up the original paint job somehow and just repaint over it. Maybe that's what happened there
hmmthats weird
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
After reading all the replies it sounds like either primer or a paint job gone wrong that they re painted. Do they offer this same color for other guitars of the same kind? My Telecaster Thinline seems to have black paint underneath it and that is another color they offer.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
That's pretty cool. If I were you I'd scratch some of it off to make a red skull on a black background.
It's most likely primer. A lot of Fender guitars (and other brands, to a lesser extent) use red primer because it's neither overly light nor overly dark, and they can prime all the bodies with the same colour. I'm going to guess that all the guitars from that batch that aren't transparent finishes have red primer.

If they used matching primer (like on a car), they'd need different primers for every paint colour.

You'd think they'd use brown though ...
Quote by jean_genie
It's most likely primer. A lot of Fender guitars (and other brands, to a lesser extent) use red primer because it's neither overly light nor overly dark, and they can prime all the bodies with the same colour. I'm going to guess that all the guitars from that batch that aren't transparent finishes have red primer.

If they used matching primer (like on a car), they'd need different primers for every paint colour.

You'd think they'd use brown though ...

I was thinking that too. I had a Squier strat from about 3-4 years ago (Starting to loose track hehe) and it had the black primer... I'm sure that's all it is but the difference is kind of interesting. Maybe it was different for different models.
its the type of undercoat they use, im not entirely sure if they still use red underneath but it makes the black 'pop' or stand out, it is supposed to bring out the black more, i think it will look cooler as more flakes off though
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs