Hey dudes-

So I have this axe, right? (duh...) Anyway, I want to have my volume and tone wired on a push/pull pot where "up" is tone and "down" is volume. Would this even work or would I have to use a concentric pot?
i think its impossible mate as u can get push pull volumes and tones but not what that does both
You might be able to wire to do both but not at 1 time. It would either be a tone pot w the volume at max or a vol pot w the tone on max. You could wire it where the switch would give 2 different values for tone. Resisters w 2 different values say pot at 10 and pot at 4 sort of thing. If you want tone and vol in 1 pot position you would need to go the concentric pot route.
Thats pretty pointless. A push/pull pot is simply a pot with a dpdt on it.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
You could do a stacked pot.

Same idea, two pots in one space.
It would look like this on the guitar.
Weekend Warrior
Quote by pielover375
All right. So is a push/pull pot a pot with a DPDT switch attached to it?
yep.
Quote by Tackleberry
You might be able to wire to do both but not at 1 time. It would either be a tone pot w the volume at max or a vol pot w the tone on max.
Definitely could be done. Not very useful to have lowered volume ONLY when tone is 10 or lowered tone ONLY when volume is 10. But easy enough to wire.
Quote by pielover375
Would this even work or would I have to use a concentric pot?
concentric makes more sense.

also, html in sig? lol.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Push-pull Tone pots are designed for Humbucking Pickups

Humbuckers are made of 2 Single Coils

arranged NP
PN

N-Negative
P-Positive

the push-pull merely Switches between

Single coil-Humbucker-Single Coil

So you can have one single coil slightly over wound

Jimmy Page had them on his Les Paul
Living,Loving,She's Just A Women
Quote by Joelthefrog1

i think you mean "intended", not designed since push/pull pots were in many other things long before they were in guitars. but even thats wrong. push/pull pots are intended for people who want to add a switch to their instrument without putting an additional hole in their instrument or have little to no space for an additional switch. doesnt matter if you have humbuckers or single coils in your guitar.

dunno why you'd want vol and tone on a single pot but concentric would be your best bet to getting it done.
Quote by Joelthefrog1

You have no clue what you're talking about. Push-pulls are merely a single-gang pot with a DPDT switch. What you're talking about is only one of the many uses.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by noisefarmer
dunno why you'd want vol and tone on a single pot but concentric would be your best bet to getting it done.

just think of the things you could do with that. individual tones and volumes for all 3 pickups in a strat. some 2 humbucker guitars only have master volume and tone, and then you could have control for each. you could have tone/volume for each pickup on a LP and then the other two knobs could be master tone and master volume. the last one might be a bit odd, but the other two are things that i would highly consider using concentric pots for.
Quote by jof1029
just think of the things you could do with that. individual tones and volumes for all 3 pickups in a strat. some 2 humbucker guitars only have master volume and tone, and then you could have control for each. you could have tone/volume for each pickup on a LP and then the other two knobs could be master tone and master volume. the last one might be a bit odd, but the other two are things that i would highly consider using concentric pots for.

i'm one of those people who gets their tone knob set to exactly where they want it and i wouldnt want to accidentally change that while playing due to reaching down to adjust volume which is why i dont see the appeal of it. seems like more trouble than it'd be worth.
fair enough, i like changing my knobs around mid song or between songs. i love single channel amps and just being able to change the tone a lot from the guitar. other people like other things, its all good
I use a 2 in 1 pot stack knob I found at the eBay guitar parts store Bezdez on my cigar box guitars where there's little room.
It's not a push pull type of thing . It's 2 knobs in one, an outter low knob and an inner top knob. But it's still 2 pots deep. Maybe something like that will do.
Quote by Joelthefrog1

Humbuckers are made of 2 Single Coils

arranged NP
PN

N-Negative
P-Positive

the push-pull merely Switches between

Single coil-Humbucker-Single Coil

So you can have one single coil slightly over wound

Jimmy Page had them on his Les Paul

You've got a long way to go buddy.