Can someone explain the differences between the two, I know that the 1960BX has different speakers but what difference in sound would I get. Thanks a lot.
Dave
Last edited by hardrockerdave9 at Aug 13, 2009,
Well... the cabinet itself is the same, but the big difference is that the G12-75 speakers that come in the 1960B suck, and the G12-25 speakers that come in the 1960BX don't.

Edit: to clarify a little bit more, I have the 1960B and the G12-75s are mid scooped and have a ton of presence, in a very bad way. The highs are so harsh and brittle that it can very literally ruin the tone of an amp that it is not well suited for. The G12-25s are greenbacks and are more neutral and balanced. They're warmer sounding and have a much sweeter, high end grind and less of that sharp, piercing tone. But on the downside, the have a rather loose low end that can really flab out with the wrong amp playing styles that the speaker is not well suited for.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Well... the cabinet itself is the same, but the big difference is that the G12-75 speakers that come in the 1960B suck, and the G12-25 speakers that come in the 1960BX don't.

Edit: to clarify a little bit more, I have the 1960B and the G12-75s are mid scooped and have a ton of presence, in a very bad way. The highs are so harsh and brittle that it can very literally ruin the tone of an amp that it is not well suited for. The G12-25s are greenbacks and are more neutral and balanced. They're warmer sounding and have a much sweeter, high end grind and less of that sharp, piercing tone. But on the downside, the have a rather loose low end that can really flab out with the wrong amp playing styles that the speaker is not well suited for.

+1

Been there done that... Used multiple amps with my old Marshall 1960b and no matter the amp they all sounded horrible with it. In exactly the way he described..

Also im not particularly happy with the build quality in marshall cabs.. Loose screws and bolts, huge gaps and mis-aligned support. All in all was a horrible experiance..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by al112987

Brent Hinds uses G12T-75's and his tone is quite heavenly
Marshall Cab's Nowadays are, Just as their Heads, Overpriced and nothing special.

I'd look into different cabs that don't say marshall
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I was thinking of getting a 1960B cab is there a difference between Celestion 12" G12T 75W speakers and Celestion 12" G12 75 other than that one has a T in the name?
I have one question is a 1960A any better?

Edit: I was going to run it through a JCM800 2203 head if that makes any difference.
Last edited by ColinMc at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Brent Hinds uses G12T-75's and his tone is quite heavenly

He uses Marshall Heads a Equalizer and plays Metal... That is quite possibly the only way to get that speaker to sound good lol.. You found the holy grail great job

Quote by ColinMc
I was thinking of getting a 1960B cab is there a difference between Celestion 12" G12T 75W speakers and Celestion 12" G12 75 other than that one has a T in the name?
same speakers, g12t-75 is the right designation, I just say g12-75 sometimes.
Quote by ColinMc

Edit: I was going to run it through a JCM800 2203 head if that makes any difference.
No it's not, the only difference is that the 1960A has a slant. Otherwise, the cabinet and speakers are the same. The problem with the 1960 cabinets is not so much the cabinet as much as it is the speakers. The cabinet itself, whist being well overpriced new, is not a bad deal if you buy it used (and you can find them for ~$350 quite easily), but the speakers inside of the cabinet really bring the overall tone down quite a bit.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that g12t-75s can quite literally ruin the tone of a good amp. When I finished my Metroamp JTM45 build, even though I triple checked my voltage readings and connections, I thought I had ****ed up the build when I first heard it through my 1960 cab from the mid '90s. Ear piercingly bright and shrill, harsh and thin sounding, everything the amp was not supposed to be. And at high volumes, it was practically unbearable. And it wasn't until I heard another JTM45 through a similar set of speakers that I realized the problem was not the amp, but the pos speakers, so I'm currently selling my 1960 to fund a Mojotone 2x12 w/ Heritage G12H30s.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by ColinMc

One is straight and the other is slant; there's not difference in the speakers.

If you get the BX with Greenbacks, make sure your head is 100W or under; Greenbacks can only handle 25W each.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
One is straight and the other is slant; there's not difference in the speakers.

If you get the BX with Greenbacks, make sure your head is 100W or under; Greenbacks can only handle 25W each.
For a Marshall amp I would not put anything over 50 watts through a 100 watt greenback loaded cabinet.
Quote by al112987
same speakers, g12t-75 is the right designation, I just say g12-75 sometimes.
No it's not, the only difference is that the 1960A has a slant. Otherwise, the cabinet and speakers are the same. The problem with the 1960 cabinets is not so much the cabinet as much as it is the speakers. The cabinet itself, whist being well overpriced new, is not a bad deal if you buy it used (and you can find them for ~$350 quite easily), but the speakers inside of the cabinet really bring the overall tone down quite a bit.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that g12t-75s can quite literally ruin the tone of a good amp. When I finished my Metroamp JTM45 build, even though I triple checked my voltage readings and connections, I thought I had ****ed up the build when I first heard it through my 1960 cab from the mid '90s. Ear piercingly bright and shrill, harsh and thin sounding, everything the amp was not supposed to be. And at high volumes, it was practically unbearable. And it wasn't until I heard another JTM45 through a similar set of speakers that I realized the problem was not the amp, but the pos speakers, so I'm currently selling my 1960 to fund a Mojotone 2x12 w/ Heritage G12H30s.

I checked reviews and this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499224
and they both say the 1960A/B are great cabs with what I want the JCM800 2203.
Quote by ColinMc
I checked reviews and this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499224
and they both say the 1960A/B are great cabs with what I want the JCM800 2203.
I don't put much into user reviews, a lot of players write reviews during the "honeymoon" period, or when they get something that is a significant upgrade to what they already have without having tried several alternatives. And I'm not going to lie, some people just have bad taste.

I'm not saying that G12T-75 speakers aren't good with JCM800s, actually they work reasonably well with most modern Marshall amps, but sound absolutely rotten with vintage Marshalls as well as several other styles of amps. 10 times out of 10, I would take a greenback loaded cab or a G12H30 loaded cab over a G12T-75 loaded cab. With any amp, but if you're asking if the G12T-75 would sound horrible with a JCM800? Probably not.
1960s aren't the greatest cabs, unless you get an older one that has better workmanship.

Go for a good cab builder in your region: Splawn, Mills Acoustic, Avatar, Vader, etc. in North America; Framus, Orange, and a few others in Europe.

@ al: The 75s actually sound ok with the 800, but they're NOTHING compared to a good set of G12H30s or Greenbacks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by al112987
I don't put much into user reviews, a lot of players write reviews during the "honeymoon" period, or when they get something that is a significant upgrade to what they already have without having tried several alternatives. And I'm not going to lie, some people just have bad taste.

I'm not saying that G12T-75 speakers aren't good with JCM800s, actually they work reasonably well with most modern Marshall amps, but sound absolutely rotten with vintage Marshalls as well as several other styles of amps. 10 times out of 10, I would take a greenback loaded cab or a G12H30 loaded cab over a G12T-75 loaded cab. With any amp, but if you're asking if the G12T-75 would sound horrible with a JCM800? Probably not.

Ok thanks I won't be getting this for a while but I will be getting it used so it will most likely have the G12T - 75 so whenever I get it I might switch. Thanks for the input really made it a lot clearer.
Quote by al112987

+1 to your go used part. the residual value on the 1960s is retardedly low

i do disagree with your 1960 remark. either you must have gotten a lemon, or you didnt break in the speakers yet. that shrill sound w/ harsh highs is characteristic of unbroken in g12t 75's.

both cabinets ive played through with g12t 75s absolutely sing at high volumes once broken in, has a more balanced sound, and isnt nearly as brittle as you are making it out to be. it pairs tremendously well with an amp that loves mids. i use a jcm800 and an aor through mine, and my friend runs a vtm through his cab with g12t's. both to great results

hit up a local show as well and you'll see a ton of musicians(living with the lions out of vancouver is a great example. no boost. jcm800, gibby lp, 1960) using 1960s with jcms and the like to great results as well

for the price of a used one, the 1960b is a good cab. not to mention they are tanks and can handle a ton of abuse
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Last edited by the boogieman at Aug 13, 2009,