Kind of a more teenager-based thread...

Something I've noticed A LOT with modern bands that I listen to is their tremendous use of the auto-tune feature. For those who don't know, AT automatically tunes their voice to the pitch that they desire if it's shaky. This has led to them stretching their voices too far, and ultimately damaging their vocal chords.

However bands in the 70s and 80s had no such feature to use and instead actually sang what they could. Thus, they are still around today to sing and play.

Do you think we will be able to enjoy the music we listened to as kids when we are 40 or 50 like our parents?
I don't think it's a matter of extending their range as much as it's correcting bad singing or trying to establish a certain sound.

And of course you can still enjoy the music now, and in 20-30 years. There's nothing that says you should outgrow the music at a certain point.
im not sure, honestly autotune is so over-used to the point where any guy with a laptop and autotune can make "music" then make millions, but they cant sing for crap. its not just in modern rock and the like, but every commercial you see with music features somebody using autotune, hip hop artists rape the effect. what happened to singer's who could actually sing? i cant listen to any modern music really that features autotune rapeage, its so annoying IMO and gets old real fast... when we get older we will probably think "why the hell does everyone sound like robocop in early 2000's music?" its that bad now a days... makes me sad that the people who can sing and have talent get sh!t on cuz some untalented hack is making the millions with autotune.... sad days...
Prior to Autotune, engineers would sometimes slow down the tape to record vocals... when it's brought back up to speed the vocals are at a higher pitch. I've heard that they did this for Robert Plant, but can't confirm it.

As to whether you'll be able to enjoy the music when you're in your 40's or 50's:
Depends... I can't see too many of these bands sticking around that long. Think about how many bands had hits in the 60's and 70's; and how many are around today. A very small percentage.
honestly im scared to see the direction music is going in...with bands like 3OH!3, cash cash, attack! attack! (whats the deal with the double name anyways?), millionaires, and brokeNCYDE, it just shows that bands are appealing to fads now. I still have faith in music, though. There's a few bands out of the "scene" that truly put their heart and soul into the music they write. Bands like The Rise of Science and As Tall As Lions, guys that know what the hell theyre doing and they arent appealing to a Hot Topic audience.

And if music doesn't fix itself...we'll be stuck telling kids about the music we listened to with breakdowns, hip-hop beats and autotune all in the same song that was named after a snapple fact (I'm calling you out Chiodos)
i miss when music was original and good, when metal was metal, alternaitve was alternative, and rap had no real effect on rock & metal artists sells or chart positions... i also agree with the damn annoying fad bands, 30h3, attack attack etc. its sad what "music" is now a days....
cant stand the bloody thing. words cant describe my hate, yes i understand sometimes its hard hitting a melody all the time but if you cant do it, change the melody or maybe QUIT

ok its fine to slightly touch up a few flat notes but to purely use it 100% annoys the **** out of me
Quote by jerrybeansman22
honestly im scared to see the direction music is going in...with bands like 3OH!3, cash cash, attack! attack! (whats the deal with the double name anyways?), millionaires, and brokeNCYDE, it just shows that bands are appealing to fads now. I still have faith in music, though. There's a few bands out of the "scene" that truly put their heart and soul into the music they write. Bands like The Rise of Science and As Tall As Lions, guys that know what the hell theyre doing and they arent appealing to a Hot Topic audience.

And if music doesn't fix itself...we'll be stuck telling kids about the music we listened to with breakdowns, hip-hop beats and autotune all in the same song that was named after a snapple fact (I'm calling you out Chiodos)

Are you talking about No Penguins In Alaska? I'm pretty sure that Craig Owens doesn't use autotune, other than in studio, but not excessively.

Also, am I the only on on UG that actually enjoys Attack Attack! ?
For the most part, auto-tune is only to fix a certain note a cinger sings. Or, like in the chorus of 21 Guns by Green Day, they use it to smooth out thet ransition to falsetto. I wouldn't use it myself, but I don't mind if it's used sparingly.
Quote by due 07
For the most part, auto-tune is only to fix a certain note a cinger sings. Or, like in the chorus of 21 Guns by Green Day, they use it to smooth out thet ransition to falsetto. I wouldn't use it myself, but I don't mind if it's used sparingly.

That's true, and I don't mind that either, especially if the singer has actual real talent...but in other bands like the aforementioned...it can get very annoying and they won't be able to perform for as long as our classic rock groups.
Quote by Rifenberg
That's true, and I don't mind that either, especially if the singer has actual real talent...but in other bands like the aforementioned...it can get very annoying and they won't be able to perform for as long as our classic rock groups.

Yeah I hate it when it's so blatantly obvious throughout the whole song. I STRONGLY oppose using autotune live. Unless it's for a vocal effect.
I prefer hearing great singers who don't need autotune, and I think the odd out-of-tune sung note makes it sound more natural, but if the songwriting is good I don't mind a bit of autotune, as long as it's subtle and doesn't sound robotic.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by myself101

i couldnt get into that at all, i no it was trying to portray emotion and that, but the words where inaudible and it lost its emotion through have the perfect pitches as it loses the natural warm feel
Quote by myself101

Autotune totally ruins that song, imo. I love Bon Iver, but that was disappointing (also, a 4-song EP, really?).

What Vikingx said about speeding up and slowing down tape is true but that's a different effect, it would still sound off if the singer sang falsely. They used that trick to match together two takes of Strawberry Fields.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
There's a few songs I've heard where the singer uses auto-tune not really for their voice but more for the effect it gives...
i don't want to use any studio tricks to compensate for something i can't do. i was so angry when i had to do it though to record an audition tape. i was really nervous while my teacher recorded so i kept playing faster than the metronome and at the end of the day he used pro tools to fix it and put it in time. i told him and he was like so keep practicing and avoid having to cheat like that.
Quote by Rifenberg
There's a few songs I've heard where the singer uses auto-tune not really for their voice but more for the effect it gives...

thats generally not really auto tune but a thing called vocoder

but if that is the case im very sure us listeners would be able disypher when it is an effect for the song, or blatantly covering up bad singing
I hate all these new "rappers" using it all the way through the song, such as T-Pain and Lil' Wayne. (Hey, when I search T-Pain for an example, the first one that comes up has both "artists" in the video!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT_fnAjZNDY
The tool itself isn't that bad, but it seems to have created this new sub-genre of rap. Every song in this new genre sounds exactly like the same emotionless crap that came out the day before. I really hope this is just one of those "That was sooo 2009" things, that will just go away next in a few years.
Oh my god, I ****ing hate autotune. Worst effect ever.
Quote by In The Mist

I'm paying for the

Debtklok [x2]

Ben Bernanke, taller than a tree.
Hilary Clinton, not a bumblebee.
Nancy Pelosi, Pelosi, Pelosi.
Joe Bidan, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)
Barak Obama.

Debtklok [x4]

I'm going to quote myself from another thread:

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yay! Another thread where the differences between Autotune and vocoders/talk boxes are misunderstood.

Watch this video. It's 8-9 minutes long, but explains everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPs4RDwuJMo

As you should probably surmise, you do need to be a good singer for autotune to work well, since it is using your actual voice, unlike a vocoder which removes your vocal tone. Autotune also only takes your voice to the next "standard" note. It's a great piece of kit for recording. Try singing for stupid amounts of time in a day trying to get that perfect track. I highly doubt you'd be able to be note perfect every time. But you need to get close to the note. If you're singing closer to a D when you're meant to be hitting a D#, it's going to be wrong.