Hey, i've decided to buy a guitar with EMG 81/85's

these normally run on one 9v battery, but ive heard there was an mod to use 2 batteries (18v) to make them more powerful

could someone explain to me how to do this? Or how much would it cost to have a tech at the music center do it for me?
EDIT - I did some research.

It dosen't increase the output, all it does is give the preamp more headroom and reduce clipping really, so for example, you can play harder with a clean sound and it won't distort, aswell as giving the tone more clarity as a whole, and all you have to do is wire another battery in series (Otherwise it will make no difference). There's even a few mentions of people upping from 9v to 27v, although that is the limit apparently. But the 18v mod definantly sounds worth it to me.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Aug 13, 2009,
well ive heard theyre better with a second battery lol

im just askin how just in case im not satisfied with the sound with 1 battery
Quote by wolfeman85
uh hey? anybody? I'd like to know how to do this

uh, hey, dont be so impatient. you cant just bump a thread after 6 minutes.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
is more batteries better then? why not get a hollowbody with 2 emg's and fill it up with batteries?! seriously, someone explain what it does pls
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Quote by Gryphon999
is more batteries better then? why not get a hollowbody with 2 emg's and fill it up with batteries?! seriously, someone explain what it does pls

Aiight dude EMG's come with a guitar set to use one battery, or 9v of power. There's a mod that allows you to use two batteries to power the pickups, or in otherwords 18v of power. This apparently gives you better sound, gain and headroom for your pickups. I've actually heard people talk about 27v mods, but I wouldn't go any higher than that

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by wolfeman85
Aiight dude EMG's come with a guitar set to use one battery, or 9v of power. There's a mod that allows you to use two batteries to power the pickups, or in otherwords 18v of power. This apparently gives you better sound, gain and headroom for your pickups. I've actually heard people talk about 27v mods, but I wouldn't go any higher than that

It dosen't give more gain. EMG's don't need to be any higher output .
Unless you're in some kind of Ulta-Br00t@lz Post-Progressive Death Funk band, or something.

All it does is give the sound more headroom to prevent clipping (Which is only really noticeable when playing with a clean sound) and clarity.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.