Hey,

I am looking for more shred/progressive guitarists and bands to listen to and to study their techniques and such.

I am mostly into bands like Symphony X and Dream Theater when it comes to progressive and shred music. I also like bands that use keyboards and symphonic/orchestral sound in their music, like Kamelot, Epica, Nightwish. Now I have always been a fan of Iron Maiden too. And I also like a few black, folk, gothic, melodic, death, etc. metal bands.

So yeah, I am mostly into Metal.

I have been looking at a band called To-Mera and also found something called Outworld. So if you could suggest songs from these I should listen to, please post 'em.

-Gulli05
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
Progressive: Opeth / Iron Thrones / Racer X / Between the Buried and Me

Symphonic: Within Temptation / Nightwish / Iced Earth

Folk: Eluveitie

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Thanks. Knew about some of the bands mentioned. Anyone else able to point some bands or guitarists out?
And with these wings

-Symphony X
If you're into DT I suppose You've heard Liquid Tension Experiment ?

Also, Scale the Summit might or might not be up your alley, it's not very shreddy but technical though, and I find it very soothing.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Gulli05
I have been looking at a band called To-Mera

I thoroughly recommend both of their albums as they are crafted of absolute win but if you're wanting a more specific rec I'd go with Delusions, it's a more proggy and jazzy album where Transcendental has more of the metal side to it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks guys! Will check it all out. If you remember something more or see something you think I should look at please post.

Thanks a lot guys.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Dude, you might not have taken any of my suggestions, but thanks for introducing me to To-Mera. They are magnificent.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Dude, you might not have taken any of my suggestions, but thanks for introducing me to To-Mera. They are magnificent.

I knew about Nightwish, Within Temptation, Racer X and Eluveitie. I am currently just checking out the songs from the other bands.

Glad i could help you discover a band.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
TOXIK

their album Think This is the ultimate metal album for prog enthusiasts as well as shred enthusiasts. Melodic like Becker, Vai and MacAlpine, as well as some sick Holdsworth-esque legato, not to mention all the gnar time changes, and just all-around oustanding creativity. And they manage to do this while having catchy songs as well.

Their guitarist is Josh Christian, he's a definite hidden gem, so damn undderrated.

www.myspace.com/toxikmetal
Last edited by ThinkThis at Aug 14, 2009,
Thanks guys. (And sorry for the late reply)

I am now as I write looking at the band Toxik.

I am still looking for even more So are there any other bands like Necrophagist out there?
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Quote by Gulli05
Thanks guys. (And sorry for the late reply)

I am now as I write looking at the band Toxik.

I am still looking for even more So are there any other bands like Necrophagist out there?

Obscura.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.