Serious question.

What did Les Paul use?

What I really mean is [^above was trying to attract attention from those who think I'm trolling], is there a production model of the two single coil LP he used [with the unusual control panel], or is that something unavailable?

Because LP doesn't play any form of modern LP at all.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I am pretty sure that he played his own custom Les Paul. I don't know much about it though.

EDIT: Sorry, I did not answer your question. No there is no replica of his guitar for retail that I know about.
Last edited by The3818919 at Aug 13, 2009,
a strat
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
i think he used the old les pauls the ones he made first

Les paul died at 94 so we'll never find out from him but maybe from old photos
CAV
Quote by darkcheef
This?

Yeah, but I want a name [if possible, and not 'it's a les paul n00b'], and if it's ever available to buy.

Not that I intend to get one anytime soon, but it's definitely a guitar I may like to get in the future, as it's a pretty nice guitar. Much better then standard LPs.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
i swear ive seen him with the 3 Pup black beauty les paul custom, but i dunno about the modelyour refering to
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
that guitar pictured is called the Les Paul Personal i believe.
I don't think it's available to buy, Les Paul heavily modified his own guitars from what I've read, and that one (before his modifications) was very likely built solely as his own.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Aug 13, 2009,
Just to say, I've actually seen, face to face, Les Paul's actual favourite Les Paul.
It looked very nice, better then standard LPs.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 13, 2009,
Les Paul Personal and Les Paul Recording are both names by which it was called. A friend's dad collects wacky '70s Gibsons and has one.

I don't know that you'd actually want it, TS. Those aren't just single-coils, they're specially made low-impedance pickups. IIRC, they have almost no output - but also produce almost zero feedback, and are great for recording.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 13, 2009,
Here is a pic of Les with the guitar I have seen him play most often. It's a bit different than the one pictured earlier as it has a Bigsby.

John
Quote by Simsimius
Yeah, but I want a name [if possible, and not 'it's a les paul n00b'], and if it's ever available to buy.

Not that I intend to get one anytime soon, but it's definitely a guitar I may like to get in the future, as it's a pretty nice guitar. Much better then standard LPs.

Quote by Gibson Les Paul wiki
Until his death in August, 2009, Les Paul himself played his personal Les Paul Guitar onstage, weekly, in New York City. Paul preferred his 1972 Gibson "Recording" model guitar, with different electronics and a one-piece mahogany body, and which, as an inveterate tinkerer and bona fide inventor, he had modified heavily to his liking over the years. A Bigsby-style vibrato was of late the most visible change although his guitars were formerly fitted with his Les Paulverizer effects.

I assume that a google of "Gibson Recording model Les Paul" will yield more info.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Simsimius
Serious question.

What did Les Paul use?

What I really mean is [^above was trying to attract attention from those who think I'm trolling], is there a production model of the two single coil LP he used [with the unusual control panel], or is that something unavailable?

Because LP doesn't play any form of modern LP at all.

actually i've seen pictures of him onstage with a les paul studio faded in cherry red.

but the guitar he played was a "les paul personal", a signature model they made in the late '60s, which he just kept on modding - so unless gibson release a "tribute" model next week, you're not gonna get anything quite the same, although you might be able to find a les paul personal model which is what his guitar was to begin with.

edit: pic here:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/aaFeaturesImages2009/feature-1969-les-paul-personal.jpg
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
actually i've seen pictures of him onstage with a les paul studio faded in cherry red.

but the guitar he played was a "les paul personal", a signature model they made in the late '60s, which he just kept on modding - so unless gibson release a "tribute" model next week, you're not gonna get anything quite the same, although you might be able to find a les paul personal model which is what his guitar was to begin with.

edit: pic here:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/aaFeaturesImages2009/feature-1969-les-paul-personal.jpg

This.

The guitar has been extensively modded - Les even wound the pickups that were in it.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
http://www.ntw.net/~w0ui/family_webpage/linkpages/music/music_lespaulrecording.htm
This is what you need.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Wow, that's some ugly guitar. I am sure they will eventually do some kind of tribute model that is similar.
he sometimes used a cherry red lp studio
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Simsimius

Yeh, it's called a Les Paul Recording. It was sold around the 60's, I don't think they make re-issues, And he (Les Paul) said it was his favorite type of Les Paul ever made.

I know all this because my brother has one, Looks exactly like that one up there^^^.

We found it in my Grandpa's basement along with five or six other vintage Gibsons...

We're lucky...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 13, 2009,
Of the familiar Les Paul shape guitars, originally he played a Goldtop (of course). Then in 1954 he commissioned a black version to match the Tuxedo he wore on stage. This was the real Black Beauty and had very low frets, later known as 'fretless wonder' that appeared on some LPs and the first SG shaped LP Customs. By the mid sixties he was playing a strange white LP with his own pickups and a box behind the tail stop which had all sorts of effects, including a looper so he could play duets with himself on stage. Only later did the angled pickups come about on the 'personal'.
There have been several re-issues of the old Goldtops, so I'd most like to see a proper '54 spec Black Beauty as a tribute.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by nav00
i swear ive seen him with the 3 Pup black beauty les paul custom, but i dunno about the modelyour refering to

I actually got a chance to see Les Paul play live at a guitar expo many many years ago and he was using the Les Paul pictured earlier and he used a standard LP.
What about the amp? What amplifier did Les Paul use?

I can't find any info on this, Wikipedia has nothing and google just returns info on Gibson LP guitars and random amps...

Was he forced to use Gibson amps because of his contract with Gibson?

Probably he just invented and built his own amps...
Cort G254
Software Amp Modeler
Quote by DavePT
What about the amp? What amplifier did Les Paul use?

I can't find any info on this, Wikipedia has nothing and google just returns info on Gibson LP guitars and random amps...

Was he forced to use Gibson amps because of his contract with Gibson?

Probably he just invented and built his own amps...

He probably just used random amps or some pa of some sort
He plugs into the PA most likely.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
When I saw him he was plugged into a small Fender combo amp, but that was at a guitar expo so I doubt that was his main rig.

Also, FWIW...saw Zakk Wylde at same expo from about 6 inches away as he felt the need to put his leg on my chair and shred my face off for about 3 minutes straight.
Quote by srob7001
When I saw him he was plugged into a small Fender combo amp, but that was at a guitar expo so I doubt that was his main rig.

Also, FWIW...saw Zakk Wylde at same expo from about 6 inches away as he felt the need to put his leg on my chair and shred my face off for about 3 minutes straight.

That would of ruined my whole day if someone annoyed me that bad.
seeing he passed away, im sure, in the near future there will be models of his guitar releaased.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Thanks a ton everyone!

Everything has been answered!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Les Paul® Log™
1982 Gibson Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe
Blackstar HT-1R | Line 6 M5 | Malekko Omicron Fuzz | Behringer SF300 Super-Fuzz | Morpheus DropTune | TC Ditto Looper
Quote by Nickpocalypse
that guitar pictured is called the Les Paul Personal i believe.
I don't think it's available to buy, Les Paul heavily modified his own guitars from what I've read, and that one (before his modifications) was very likely built solely as his own.

Its commercially availiable version is the les paul custom recording model. made round 1972 itd be pretty hard to get ur hands on one of them. in my personal opinion id just get a les paul standard plus. its an extremely nice guitar, but all gibson are so ya.