I am looking for a decent tube amp with ample headroom for live playing. I don't need any crazy effects. Just something sturdy that would be good for bedroom playing and small gigs-medium gigs. I live in an apartment so preferably something with headphone capability or a master volume. I play mostly hard rock, classic rock, and blues, with a little bit of metal every now an then. Bands like Aerosmith, Cream, Led Zeppelin, the Who, rolling stones, maybe some ramones, black sabbath, scorpions, rage against the machine, etc.

I don't have a job or much money so the cheaper the better. My budget at the moment is prpobably $500 or less. I was looking at fenders but they are a little out of my reach (budgetwise). I AM willing to go used but I am not buying in the immediate future so no ebay listings or anything. I prefer new but if you say used, just give the price they normally go for used and how easy they are to find.

Thanks so much
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
tube amps never have headphones, and the master volume knobs aren't designed to take amps low enough for apartment playing.... that's why you get 2 amps, a live amp, and a practice amp.

fender amps are the way to go for you it seems like... i'd go with the Hot Rod Deluxe... it's 700, but if you're not buying to very soon, you can save up
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
How is the Blues deluxe reissue compared to the Hot rod deluxe? They are the same price I think. And how much do the Hot rod deluxes normally go used? Also, I could swear I have seen some tube amps with headphone output.

Also are there any cheaper amps similar to the Hot rod deluxe or other fender amps? I have a frontman my dad bought me and it isn't very good. I know now that he just payed so much for the name. Same goes for marshalls nowadays
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
A Fender Super Champ XD will cover your bases with a tube power section and master volume. However as FightinIrish mentioned using a master volume only goes so far. When you reduce the volume of any amp way down you lose tone in the process.

The SCXD does not have a headphone output. If you want to go the headphone route a multifx or a cheap amp like a Vypyr 15 will work well. I personally like the Pandora PX4D multifx/headphone amp ($110) as it has drum/bass patterns to jam with.
Well if I really need a headphone then i guess I could always get one of those cheap pocket amps. I don't think the Super Champ is loud enough for gigging though. Is it?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Peavey classic 30.

Get a Volume box off ebay for like 20 - 30 bucks (or make it yourself for 12 bucks).
Put the volumn box in the effects loop, the classic 30 now has a master volume.

And yes, it works well in the bedroom. You get Decent tone at low volumes.
Crank up the volume knobs on the amp, this saturates the preamp tubes.
Then turn the master volume down.
Works just great.
Of coarse you don't get GREAT tone at low volumes, but pretty darn good for practicing in the bedroom. then you crank it at your gig.

good to go.

Need help building a volume box, let me know. I just did mine like 3 weeks ago, piece of cake.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 13, 2009,
The hot rod is quite a nice amp, nice cleans, responds to pedals well...not gonna do metal. Im currently in the market for a nice distortion for my metal needs from my hot rod lol. Id say you could get a used hot rod for 500 easily! Try kijiji!
Vox Night train maybe? If you mic'd it, it would be able to gig just fine and is pretty much in range of what your looking for. They're $500 I believe...

EDIT: Or a Peavey Windsor would be great too.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Polystant
Well if I really need a headphone then i guess I could always get one of those cheap pocket amps. I don't think the Super Champ is loud enough for gigging though. Is it?
Depends, it has enough power but the speaker is only 10". If you use an external cab (it has an output jack) then it's comparable to other 15 watt tube amps.
Quote by jonmo1
Peavey classic 30.

Get a Volume box off ebay for like 20 - 30 bucks (or make it yourself for 12 bucks).
Put the volumn box in the effects loop, the classic 30 now has a master volume.
The C30 already has a master volume.
i've got a used Vox AC30 that i got for $600. so if you are willing to stretch that budget a little bit, then you could get one of those. they're brilliant. but their isn't too much headroom since it's only 30 watts. you could have a look at a fender Deluxe Reverb.
Quote by fly135
The C30 already has a master volume.

OK, if you say so....

Perhaps you can tell me which knob is the master volume ??

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i've got a used Vox AC30 that i got for $600.

I call Shenanigans...

If not, That is incredible.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44

I call Shenanigans...

If not, That is incredible.

Its a custom classic though, it's not an original. an original will run around 3x that.
Quote by Polystant
How is the Blues deluxe reissue compared to the Hot rod deluxe? They are the same price I think. And how much do the Hot rod deluxes normally go used? Also, I could swear I have seen some tube amps with headphone output.

Also are there any cheaper amps similar to the Hot rod deluxe or other fender amps? I have a frontman my dad bought me and it isn't very good. I know now that he just payed so much for the name. Same goes for marshalls nowadays

for your genres, you don't want a Fender, let alone a Blues deluxe.
They're too loud anyway for your purposes.

Take a look at the Laney Lionheart 5 watter.
of if it's out of your price range, try the blackstar HT-5.
For gigging, you can always mic them up or use the line out to hook it up to the PA.

good luck !
I was looking at the peavey classic along with the hot rod deluxe. I just don't really have the money. Don't call me cheap
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Don't worry about the low wattage anymore, i can just use my ****ty mg for that. So please suggest stuff that's cheap and still good for gigging the bands and genres above
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Either the hot rod or classic 30 can be had used for 500 or less.
Might be harder to find the hot rod for 500, but definately the classic30...easily.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Yeah I honest to god found a vintage 80s Peavey Classic 50 212 for only $300. If only I had $300 right now......
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser