Page 1 of 2
Alright, so i always wondered how people get nicknames in the musical context. I know a few people who give themselves their own nicknames, which in my opinion is slightly egotistical and strange.

The guitarist im working with at the moment we call Juicey. Now, this came around because we were taking a break one day, just mooching around and chatting. There was a bottle of orange squash on the table, the type you're suppose to add water too before you drink it.

Now, Christian or 'Juciey' as he is now know, we in the middle of making a point, he was doing alot of walking around and arm waving at the time. He poured himself half a glass of this juice stuff. Then walked around abit more, more arm waving, patted our vocalist on the head, and then walked back to the table, and in something close to an attempt at drama at the end of this speech - downed the cup of juice in three gulps. Without adding any water.

Watching his face change from a smirk, to a 'what the ****?!' expression, and then finaly one of "...urrgghh" was probably one of the funniest things i've ever seen.

I've been named 'Thumper' because of how i treat my bass, and because apparently i look like the little rabbit from the film Bambi. It seems to be sticking

What are YOUR nickname stories?
Well, my name is Kevin, and my oh-so-affectionate friends thought it would be cute to make me seem less ferocious.

I of course chalk it up to the fact that I look somewhat like Zacky Vengeance, or so I've been told, but really I'm Kevy because it's easy to say for my friends.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Once long long time ago, in a country in middle of nowhere, called Lithuania, metal head Maksim got drunk at afterparty and started eating cookies. I was told I ate around 7kg of cookies. Since then people call me cookie.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Jam, my names James. Back when I was like 3 or 4, I couldn't write down my the E or S in my name, only the first three letters. So its kinda stuck as a nickname.
My name is Andrey. In the band i'm usually referred to as "Thrashmastah Dre" or "Shredmastah Dre".
Other guitarist is named Mike. We usually refer to him as "Thrashmastah Mike" or "Shredmastah" Mike.
The drummers name is Jesse. We don't really have a name for him.
The bassist's name is Andrew. We usually call him "Shut up bitch! What the f*ck is that noise!"
The vocalist's name is Stan. I don't know why, but we call him Stan Stanson.
I've been nicknamed Chewbacca, for obvious reasons:

Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
I've been nicknamed Chewbacca, for obvious reasons:

no beard?! -.-'' fake chewbacca.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx

The bassist's name is Andrew. We usually call him "Shut up bitch! What the f*ck is that noise!"

Yeah, i've been called that a few times. Either that or "Hey mate, uhm, is your guitar broken, its only got 4 strings?"

The guitarists i play with soon learn that they only get to take center stage and solo, because i allow them too .
Well, apart of playing bass in the band im also in charge of calling everyone for appointments, calling taxies, calling etc, etc. So i was rewarded by the rest of the band with the tittle of The Lord Of The Minutes (as in money to call from the cell) Because i always have them :x

Not a really big name story or w/e but i sorta like it =]
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Amulas
Yeah, i've been called that a few times. Either that or "Hey mate, uhm, is your guitar broken, its only got 4 strings?"

The guitarists i play with soon learn that they only get to take center stage and solo, because i allow them too .

Ha, sure isn't like that in my band. If the bassist interferes with our moments of raw power and ego in the spotlight we teach him a lesson in violence he won't soon forget.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Ha, sure isn't like that in my band. If the bassist interferes with our moments of raw power and ego in the spotlight we teach him a lesson in violence he won't soon forget.

Thats fair, one of the reasons i dont like playing with 2 guitarists :P. The bass tends to meld into the constant monotony of 16 of the same note, followed by 16 of another note, and then another.

Whats that, the Chorus?!

8 of one note, 8 of another etc.

I'm playing a 4-man setup of bass, guitar, drums and vocals so it gives me more freedom. Good stuff.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx

Wow... nice to see a good level of respect between you all. I'm sure you'll go far.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You like like pubing James Hetfield without the acne.

Quote by C0_0kie
no beard?! -.-'' fake chewbacca.

. I don't mind being called it, but when they do their Chewbacca impressions, it 'aint so bearable anymore.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by Amulas
Thats fair, one of the reasons i dont like playing with 2 guitarists :P. The bass tends to meld into the constant monotony of 16 of the same note, followed by 16 of another note, and then another.

Whats that, the Chorus?!

8 of one note, 8 of another etc.

I'm playing a 4-man setup of bass, guitar, drums and vocals so it gives me more freedom. Good stuff.

Well actually our bass lines are pretty complex. There's even a bass sweep solo in one time. Just for the most part it's inaudible.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Wow... nice to see a good level of respect between you all. I'm sure you'll go far.

Dude, if bassists had control, no band would go far. :/
Except Primus and funk bands.
Last edited by xMetalCoreKingx at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx

What about Iron Maiden? Or are they still in that underground scene?

I think a bassist leading a band isn't such a bad idea.
signature
Lets see. I've been called the "tamster". Like...."go ask the Tamster if she has any money." I also am affectionately called the "bass chica", since we played a 4th of July event and some biker came up to me and said "Woah....bass chica!'

In one of my first bands, I was called "Tweety", because I was short, had spiky yellow hair and big feet
I've never been really given a 'bassist nickname'.

I'm known as 'Junior' at the moment as I look quite young and no-one has any embarrassing name to call me yet.

Dave Ellefson was called 'Junior' too, so I like it
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
What about Iron Maiden? Or are they still in that underground scene?

I think a bassist leading a band isn't such a bad idea.

Depends who you ask man. Personally I'm a Priest guy. I think all maiden songs sound the same. Galloping guitar, galloping bass, a few chord progressions, pentatonic solo.
No offense. Sure they are successful but i just don't know man. I loved maiden until i got good at guitar then i was just like wtf have i been listening to.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Depends who you ask man. Personally I'm a Priest guy. I think all maiden songs sound the same. Galloping guitar, galloping bass, a few chord progressions, pentatonic solo.
No offense. Sure they are successful but i just don't know man. I loved maiden until i got good at guitar then i was just like wtf have i been listening to.

You have valid points, but Maiden are a massive band and Harris has been a great band leader IMO.
No offence taken, I like Priest too
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
You have valid points, but Maiden are a massive band and Harris has been a great band leader IMO.
No offence taken, I like Priest too

Also good points. But Priest/Maiden? Who cares. That doesn't matter.
What's important is that we both love Megadeth
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx

Rush, anyone? Motorhead? Dude, don't say stupid stuff in the Bass Forum.

As to the topic, i get called Dreads for an unfortunate incident involving a school talent show and a dreadlock wig.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Last edited by P-Bass Pirate at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
Rush, anyone? Motorhead? Dude, don't say stupid stuff in the Bass Forum.

As to the topic, i get called Dreads for an unfortunate incident involving a school talent show and a dreadlock wig.

Relax.
Around school people know me as bassdude or bassman.
Mostly because they dont know my name and know that I played bass in the talent show with my band last year, my band just calls me bassist.
I get called Dee Dee a lot by friends cause when i stand and play im similar to Dee Dee Ramone and when my hairs straight i look a bit like him which is either an omen or a good thing but i do love the Ramones to a great extent.

Next steps a Leather Jacket got ripped jeans cause i fell down stairs drunk -_- still got me a step closer to the look lol
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
We all gave ourselves nicknames. Mine's thefitz. Yours is Amulas.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by corrda00
Im Sir Bucklefairy

Dont even ask.

, I'd really like to hear this one.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by P-Bass Pirate

I actually have dreads, so I get called Bob Marley a lot. I also get called "hippie" and "rasta mon" and I really, really hate it. "Haha, look, it's Bob Marley!" Yeah, I get it, shut the hell up. I got called Jesus once, though. That was awesome.

As far as actual nicknames people call me, I'm just Colty, sometimes Coltrane.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Does ''hey you'' count as a nickname...if not, what about ''hey you're that girl that plays bass huh?''

That's about all I get called
My band calls me pup because I'm the youngest. it goes:

Nick(me) - 22
Tim(my brother) 28
Kirk - 27 i think
Joe - 40
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by t3hrav3n
I actually have dreads, so I get called Bob Marley a lot. I also get called "hippie" and "rasta mon" and I really, really hate it. "Haha, look, it's Bob Marley!" Yeah, I get it, shut the hell up. I got called Jesus once, though. That was awesome.

As far as actual nicknames people call me, I'm just Colty, sometimes Coltrane.

Wow, a guy with dreads being called Bob Marley - some people really push the envelope there! Now, if people called you Curley, referring to a man whose nickname is sarcastically referring to the fact that he has a shaved head, even though calling YOU Curley is entirely appropriate - that's classic.

As an aside, I don't have any bass-specific nicknames, my guitar player calls me Meesh Loaf every now and then. Har!

EDIT: Here's how I would look if I had fleajr_1412's hair:
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Aug 14, 2009,
they call me 'Bass'.

kinda reminds me of Missing in America...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Not my bass nick, but some people call me "Beard-Sam". Well not exactly since i'm not english speaking, but that's the translation.
Page 1 of 2