I was looking at a Schecter Damien Special FR, a guitar I'm thinking about buying, and I noticed there was a Licensed Floyd Rose, but no locking nuts. I was wondering, how well would this guitar stay in tune when I do Dime squeals and dive bombs and stuff? And, would the absence of locking nuts mean I could put the guitar into different tunings?
It prob wouldn't stay in tune very well at all.

And even if it did have a locking nut you could still put it into different tunnings.
Locking nut is not necessary.
If you properly wind your strings in the tuning pegs and lube the nut slots with pencil lead or vaseline.
See post #2 in the "Ultimate Setup Guide" sticky thread. That shows proper string winding technique.

OR, you have locking tuners and lube the nut slots.

You can do different tunings with a floyd with or without the locking nut. It's just more difficult and time consuming with the locking nut.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Im guessing it has a Graphtech nut, Carvin does this on alot of their non-custom guitars.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Damien Special FR does have a locking nut, so either: It's not a Damion FR Special, or someone stole the locks, or someone modded it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...