Sad.
RIP.
Last edited by 667 at Aug 13, 2009,
Was just about to search and make a thread myself as have just heard and it wasn't in the featured news on the homepage. A legend has left us. Tonight I shall be playing my Les Paul in tribute.

Edit: There's a thread stickied in The Pit; use the searchbar in future, TS!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 13, 2009,
There's already a thread on it!
Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Edit: There's a thread stickied in The Pit; use the searchbar in future, TS!

no, go to the blues and jazz forum, where it belongs.

I'm curious as to how many of you actually listened to his music as opposed to just name-recognition
You don't have to have listened to his music to appreciate what he's contributed to modern music and to want to pay your respects.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top, Blue)
Cort X6
Ibanez Gio 7 string

Marshall MG50DFX (needs to go!)
i cannot believe ur argueing about where this should be!
have some respect, one of the greatest musical inventors/guitarists of the last century just died!
RIP
crypticslaughtr wrote:
WOOT WOOT HIT THE LIGHTS!!! I LOVE MEGADETH!!!!11111

I pay for my music
RIPorted.

Heh, see what I did there? And don't worry... I didn't report it, just had to share my boundless humour with the adoring masses.

That's you by the way.
http://www.myspace.com/echohead7

GUITARS
PRS SE Camo
Epiphone G400 SG
AMP
Roland Cube 30
EFFECTS
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Danelectro FAB Distortion
Digitech Whammy
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1

Quote by Mister.Y
Imagine your underwear.... naked.
RIP
if i had a les paul id play it right now
btw at first i though that something happened to ur les paul :P (this is probably innapropriate)
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by pak1351
no, go to the blues and jazz forum, where it belongs.

I'm curious as to how many of you actually listened to his music as opposed to just name-recognition

The Pit is for most things actually, and I'm fairly certain the death of someone widely respected by the guitar-playing public is 'pit-worthy'. Yes, I have been known to listen to his music, even though it is not a style I regularly play.
A true legend, who contributed a lot to music.
He'll probably be having a good chat with Leo Fender up there

RIP
I shall play nothing but my LP custom all day.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
thanks Les for your passion, skill and ingenuity...

playing my LP tonight when I get home....really loud!
RIP Les Paul
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by DisarmGoliath
The Pit is for most things actually, and I'm fairly certain the death of someone widely respected by the guitar-playing public is 'pit-worthy'. Yes, I have been known to listen to his music, even though it is not a style I regularly play.

The Pit
The forum for general discussion of topics that don't fit into the other forums. Please read the rules first.
, so you're supposed to look elsewhere first? How are we supposed to know that, it's not like it's right under the link to the Pit.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627028&highlight=les+paul
there's the les paul thread prior to his death. It's amazing how someone doesn't really care until someone dies, then it's a big deal for two weeks, then one just moves right on.

Quick, hop on board.
He was an innovator, but not in the Gibson Les Paul design, in which he played a minor role if you're being generous.

He lived a long life doing what he loved. That's enviable, and all I have to say.
he invented the 8 track recorder. that is his greatest gift to the world of music. he will be missed dearly.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I just played for a good hour and a half on my Les Paul in his honor. I hope I was worthy enough
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
I was going to see him play next week in NYC

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by pak1351
, so you're supposed to look elsewhere first? How are we supposed to know that, it's not like it's right under the link to the Pit.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627028&highlight=les+paul
there's the les paul thread prior to his death. It's amazing how someone doesn't really care until someone dies, then it's a big deal for two weeks, then one just moves right on.

*hilarious pictoral representation of my 'amateur' sincerity*

Quick, hop on board.
He was an innovator, but not in the Gibson Les Paul design, in which he played a minor role if you're being generous.

He lived a long life doing what he loved. That's enviable, and all I have to say.

Yep, and I'm sure you know everything there is possible to know about Les Paul. Good for you. I, on the other hand, was simply showing appreciation for someone who has done a lot for music and at no point claimed I know a lot about him. That being said, I have two biographies about him and am far from jumping on any metaphorical bandwagon.

I've been playing guitar for 14 years, and know enough about Les Paul the man, and my Les Paul itself, to satisfy my thirst for knowledge on the subject. I don't have to personally know his favourite breakfast cereal and how many hours he spent working on microphonic pickups, just so I can pay some respects.

I enthusiastically await your next patronising retort, and look forward to reading your attempts to discredit me further... probably for the best I don't reply though, or you might report me for spamming seeing as you're so well-versed on the rules and regulations of the site. Sadly, you'll probably have to report 98% of the Pit too for bringing up subjects mentioned in little-visited threads that would be reincarnated if a new post was made.

P.S I'm sure if there was a problem with the thread in the Pit, the mods would have done something about it rather than sticky it. I didn't report this thread, just thought it would have made sense for the TS to search for any threads about LP's death first (note: threads about his death, not just him in general).
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yep, and I'm sure you know everything there is possible to know about Les Paul. Good for you. I, on the other hand, was simply showing appreciation for someone who has done a lot for music and at no point claimed I know a lot about him. That being said, I have two biographies about him and am far from jumping on any metaphorical bandwagon.

I've been playing guitar for 14 years, and know enough about Les Paul the man, and my Les Paul itself, to satisfy my thirst for knowledge on the subject. I don't have to personally know his favourite breakfast cereal and how many hours he spent working on microphonic pickups, just so I can pay some respects.

I enthusiastically await your next patronising retort, and look forward to reading your attempts to discredit me further... probably for the best I don't reply though, or you might report me for spamming seeing as you're so well-versed on the rules and regulations of the site. Sadly, you'll probably have to report 98% of the Pit too for bringing up subjects mentioned in little-visited threads that would be reincarnated if a new post was made.

P.S I'm sure if there was a problem with the thread in the Pit, the mods would have done something about it rather than sticky it. I didn't report this thread, just thought it would have made sense for the TS to search for any threads about LP's death first (note: threads about his death, not just him in general).

The bandwagon is glorifying somebody post-mortem while basically ignoring them while they were alive, which is exemplified by all the threads about his death compared to the two about his work and influence. Maybe you actually were aware of what he has done, more power to you. Most of the kids don't know jack past the name on the headstock, and I feel perfectly confident making that generalization given the demographic on this site. I also can't comprehend the idea that saying 'RIP _____' on an internet forum is a method of paying respect to someone, or why one would feel the need to make such a post. I get a kick out of the 'don't mourn his death, celebrate his life. It's what he would have wanted' posts as well. I think it's very bold to put words into the mouth of a dead man whom you have never met, call me old-fashioned.

This isn't really directed at you, just a generalization. Don't take it as a personal attack.

I find it very curious that any thread about a band/artist in the pit gets closed except those that are about an artist's death. I don't pretend to know why, if you have some insight please share it, because that's a noodle-knocker for me.
Quote by pak1351
I don't pretend to know why, if you have some insight please share it, because that's a noodle-knocker for me.

If I had to guess, it's because The Pit get's retarded quick.
this really sucks.. he was an amazing musician that changed modern music today as we know it. RIP.
RIP Les Paul.

The sad thing is that Gibson will release a dozen plus ten different Les Paul models and charge a +300% markup on them because of his death.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
RIP, a legend has most certainly left us. I play my LP everyday but today, just a little sadder music coming out of it.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by jack hate crew
i cannot believe ur argueing about where this should be!
have some respect, one of the greatest musical inventors/guitarists of the last century just died!
RIP

thank you! dont be DBs for real!