Well pretty stupid question, but ive just "discovered" indie and really like it.
But how do you play it? Some easy songs that covers that special indie guitar sound would be nice.

Im probally just asking a very stupid question , but... who cares
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Naa im just making fun of the oh so helpful people on this site that no matter what you ask they always have some stupid douche anwser.

Like the one guy was saying Try A tele, or really any kind of Fender guitar. They seem to have more of a single coil sound. Least the few indie bands ive herd. And Something like a Fender Twin amp, with a little delay. And you should be getting close I think.
I report you guys for spam VIO-LENT

Just listen to your favorite Indie songs and a hell lot of other indie songs and build your style from that.

EDIT: Not MetalGear1786 because hi did give advice afterwards
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I got a Stratocaster, but sure im gonna check out some of my favorite songs.

Should try out Artic Monkeys - When the sun goes down.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
As far as how they play I havent listened very much honestly, but they seem to favor big open chords. Thats really the extent of my Indie music knowledge..
Pretty much. Just a bunch of power chords with some small riffs. Arctic Monkeys are a good place to start though.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
depends on what sort of indie you are referring to. please elborate? give us some examples of bands you're listening to.

but yeah, a lot of indie bands have telecasters/jazzmasters/jaguars, but it's definitely not a necessity.
Well a short list:

Artic Monkeys, Silversun Pickups, Dinosaur Jr, Superchunk,Earlimart
Quote by ljohn
One of the greatest things about Indie is that there are loads of different bands with unique sounds.
Specifically for guitar, I would reccommend checking out Modest Mouse and Dinosaur Jr.
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Quote by VIO-LENT
WHY. indie sucks ass. all u gota do is buy a telecaster. and play really ****ty clangy chord progressions.

Then wtf are you doing posting in the alternative & indie forum?

To answer the TS, most Fender guitars will do(especially the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Telecaster). Semi-hollow bodied electrics are also good depending on the sound your going for. The gear that would work good really just depends on what bands you like and are trying to sound similar to.

Edit: I see you like Silversun Pickups. Brian's main guitar is an Epiphone Sheraton II(I'm 95% sure that's what it is). When I saw SSPU live he used that one guitar the whole show, so if you want to go more for his sound then the Epiphone.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Aug 13, 2009,
I don't know if 'indie' is really a style of music you can play in (the term covers a pretty wide range of bands and styles) but I know what you're getting at so...

You probably mean bands which play not too fast, fairly loosely and without any extreme guitar effects. This means that lots of big or unusual chords probably sound a bit clearer, throw in a few kinda awkward sounding riffs, loose noisy solos I guess.

If you want to sound like them basically just look up tabs for those songs and really listen to what the bands are doing and how they structure their songs. Some songs may have sparse arrangements, others may have lots of guitar parts layered over each other. There isn't really a standard set of rules for this.

I don't think gear is that important unless you're trying to precisely copy a band's sound.
Exactly!

Looked up a few songs last night and figured out the basics of this alternative/indie/grunge (whatever the name is) thing.

Its easy to play and sounds great.

Thanks.
Quote by ljohn
1. Grow hair.
2. Wear little sister's shirt.
3. Play The Strokes songs backwards, nobody will notice.
4. ???
5. Profit/massive drug habit

Isn't 'indie' a term for bands signed to an INDependent label, rather than a musical style?
^Yeah, but it's turned into a type of sound.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by steve_muse
^Yeah, but it's turned into a type of sound.

kids these days...

*waves walking stick*
^Well, it's true..
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by VIO-LENT
WHY. indie sucks ass. all u gota do is buy a telecaster. and play really ****ty clangy chord progressions.

multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Mainly indie bands use some sort of Single-coil guitar and a Tube amp with fairly low gain. Kinda like blues I spose, cept with different style..
Im not making much sense :S
Does it offend you, yeah?
Quote by lukeylynch

Isn't 'indie' a term for bands signed to an INDependent label, rather than a musical style?

this.

the "indie" that has turned in to a "type of sound" probably refers to bands like Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, The Strokes and other bands that have gained some popularity. (and even these bands sound different.)

and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't care how "indie" a band is.
I've actually grown to hate the term because of stuff like this.

it's like when people use the word "ironic."
Get yourself a Tele, a Vox AC30, play some fast, catchy chord movements with pounding drums and a Yorkshire accent and i say you've probably got the best band in the world right there.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I think the point of 'indie' is to make your music independently. As in not dependent on set standards for how to play indie...

How many times do people have to make these statements? Indie no longer means what it once did, it is a name for a certain type of music.
Indie music is so diverse, but only a small portion of it is thought of as "Indie" in the public eye. Most people hear Indie and think specifically of Indie Rock, which is a much better term to use.
Saying a band is "Indie" doesn't say anything about their sound or genre the way that saying a band is "Punk" or "Metal" does.
So Indie really isn't a genre, just sort of a term that's used way too often and is about as useful as saying a band is signed to a "Major" label.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my main point. Instead of saying just simply "Indie", say "Indie Rock" to describe bands like the ones mentioned before. The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, etc.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Last edited by Vasser at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by Skirvy
How many times do people have to make these statements? Indie no longer means what it once did, it is a name for a certain type of music.

How many times do I have to say that I don't give a fuck?

The word 'indie' as a sound only really reflects the sound of a bunch of shitty brit-pop indie bands. This is why I said pioneering your own sound is the point of indie - not "play like this this and that"

And as said above, indie is too diverse. You can't say that indie is a certain type of music because it encompasses a shitload of bands that aren't even remotely similar. It is more of a blanket term for bands that can all be further described, but is by no means one specific genre.
Quote by Arthur Curry
i hate this thread

amen.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn