ok, u guys have been talking about master volume in a lot of the amp threads, and i dont know wat it means
i tried the stickies but it didnt make much sense to me
if u wanna make fun at me dont post
u can make fun of me behind my bak, i dont mind that :P

thanks for ur help
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
it's a volume knob that controls the volume of amplifier (all channels)
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Master volume controls the output signal to the speaker, allowing you to achieve tube overdrive tone without blowing walls off your house (by increasing gain/lead channel volume and turning master down till you and the neighbors are happy).

It is a useful feature to have on any 30W+ tube amp for bedroom playing. With lower wattage it won't matter as much since they aren't as loud to begin with, and often do not have the feature to begin with.
My Yale has Master. Volume and Gain controls. The master controls the overall output and the other two control the clean and distortion levels.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Master Volume seen anywhere on any musical gear means the Volume knob that controlls the King Volume of the gadget

like if you have 4 chanel mixer.... and a master volume.... u want to make all the channels quiter by 2 units.. u just turn the Master volume by 2 unites back and it quites all the channels

capich>?
thanks guys
so basically it just lets me get tube overdrive or distortion without blowing up my house?
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
thanks guys
so basically it just lets me get tube overdrive or distortion without blowing up my house?

Only preamp overdrive, which is the worst kind unless you're playing modern metal.

Hair and glam metal, blues, jazz, and all kinds of rock are all about power tube distortion, which you only get from turning up the Master, not the Gain.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i play lots of metal so im good

EDIT: were u talking about the master gain, or the gain on the overdrive channel
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Last edited by soloXshredder at Aug 13, 2009,
Quote by soloXshredder
thanks guys

You should know a little of how it works to understand. It basically takes the signal somewhere in the chain and dumps a portion of it to ground. So think of it as a bottleneck. You can crank the pre-amp volume all the way then turn the master down to half and only half is making it into the power section. Where the master volume does this varies, and different places have different effects.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
You should know a little of how it works to understand. It basically takes the signal somewhere in the chain and dumps a portion of it to ground. So think of it as a bottleneck. You can crank the pre-amp volume all the way then turn the master down to half and only half is making it into the power section. Where the master volume does this varies, and different places have different effects.

Post phase-inverter is my personal favourite. I'm flirting with the idea of changing the 800's master to that format.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Post phase-inverter is my personal favourite. I'm flirting with the idea of changing the 800's master to that format.

I'm not sure where it is in my Bassman, I think it may be pre PI because I saw a tutorial on how to take it out, and it said just to attach a resistor with a lead to the PI.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I'm not sure where it is in my Bassman, I think it may be pre PI because I saw a tutorial on how to take it out, and it said just to attach a resistor with a lead to the PI.

Yeah, I might just remove it entirely as well. We'll see once I pull the chassis to do the JMP mods on it.