Hi, I have a dark red stratocaster. I'd like to give it a cool look by drawing on it with white... something. Basically I'd like to put a design on it.

Can I buy a white permanent marker, draw right on it, and cover it in something that'll make it stay? Will I need a certain type of paint?

I couldn't find any article in the stickied thread about this, maybe I missed it. If so, please direct me there? Thanks
Yes. That's what Satriani did with one of his guitars. Randomly started drawing lines in black marker over a silver Ibanez, then when he liked what he had after a few days, got it clear coated. Then somebody stole that guitar and all he has is a painted replica
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Clear coat spray will do the trick. It comes it gloss and satin, (shiny or dull) make sure it's CLEAR, not yellow which is made for wood. Also, make sure the body's surface is clean.
And only do this if you're not gonna draw something totally stupid all over it. Cause that just makes the guitar look so gay
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Thanks for the replies guys. Do I only have to clear coat the area I drew on? Or should I go and do the whole guitar, I'm not sure if you'll be able to see where it was clear coated if it's in one area only.

And one other thing, any idea how long it would take after being clear coated until I can start playing it again?

Edit: Koshman, what do you mean by stupid? Haha. I was going for a slight abstract design, not an actual picture or anything. If that's what you were thinking by 'gay' :P
Last edited by Beerad1337 at Aug 13, 2009,
i would say clear coat the whole thing... i clearcoated just a section of my guitar and you can tell where it is when light is shining on it.